[GM Abuse] Delasia

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Re: [GM Abuse] Delasia

Post by OnymA »

to let it rain is a good tactic to avoid lightnings or the ppl who do ... if that was a strategie... it was a good one

what if someone likes the arrowrain will u ban him for that delasia hm ?

again u showed u arent made for the gmjob, if u dont wanna any rain let your party be in a cave next time instead of kickin banning or (new) warping
*wool producing*
Coolkid 782
Novice
Novice

Post by Coolkid 782 »

warping for making rain and a threat to kick :shock:
isnt rain made from magic?...last time i checked doing magic wasnt against the rules
~coolkid 782 aka coolkid 782's junk shop
Delasia
Novice
Novice

Post by Delasia »

Once again Delasia is the bad guy because SHE did what the majority of the people asked.

Trunks you were asked nicely to stop the rain, and not by me, but by numerous people.
People complained of the lag and you chose to ignore their request. Where are those screenshots.

As I told you, "I would rather have one semi reasonable (so I thought) person upset with me, then a mob of unknown, unreasonable people upset with whomever."

There was another doing rain earlier and HE stopped when asked, and even apologized to the people for causing them lag.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.."if all you keep in your toolbox is a hammer, then the only way YOU can fix things is pound it"..
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Current character is "Abolish".
allenmoatallen
Peon
Peon

Post by allenmoatallen »

If there is this much lag in the game where using a skill causes the game to crawl for other players... would be a developer issue.

Banning for causing lag doesn't make sense to me, if a user decided to play on a machine that cannot handle 2D FX than that is their consequence to live with the subpar system. Just my opinion. :?
Delasia
Novice
Novice

Post by Delasia »

allenmoatallen wrote:If there is this much lag in the game where using a skill causes the game to crawl for other players... would be a developer issue.

Banning for causing lag doesn't make sense to me, if a user decided to play on a machine that cannot handle 2D FX than that is their consequence to live with the subpar system. Just my opinion. :?
He was not banned, I warped him to another part of the game as a courtesy rather than kicking him for being disrespectful to others.

HOWEVER:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =20&t=8013

He was banned for far worse a crime, and not by GM, but by the Head of TMW
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.."if all you keep in your toolbox is a hammer, then the only way YOU can fix things is pound it"..
allenmoatallen
Peon
Peon

Post by allenmoatallen »

ok, warped then, if players have an issue with it, they can leave the area, problem solved.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

allenmoatallen wrote:ok, warped then, if players have an issue with it, they can leave the area, problem solved.
Then there will be complaints about people forcing others out of popular areas.
allenmoatallen
Peon
Peon

Post by allenmoatallen »

Well like I originally said, at the core its a development issue. It should be modeled after larger scale games that don't seem to suffer this kind of issue.

What would you do if Everquest, World of Warcraft, Warhammer, etc. caused lag in a city by using spells? GMs there aren't messing with players by banning, warping, etc. for using spells if they choose to, its a simple matter of A.) Fix the lag from a coding standpoint, B.) The user should use a better machine (although this shouldn't be happening so option A is the issue.

There is a famous quote that I think the developers and GMs have seem to lost, "By trying to become something for everybody, you ultimately become nothing for no one."-- Richard Garriott.

It seems that players that feel there is an issue can tell the GMs how to do their job, can punish others for playing the game which happens to be causing big lag for some users.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Unfortunately, there is a limit on option A there. And we can usually only fix it in new clients.
DonCBen
Novice
Novice

Post by DonCBen »

You should warp everybody out of hurnscald because they are causing me lag when i want to go to the bank.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

warrior char: Donnie B.
mage char: D. Camaro
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

Delasia wrote:People complained of the lag and you chose to ignore their request.
I have to agree with Delasia on this.
If there's something that has to be rules about I think it should be lagging/flooding/spaming in the situations that the game for other players is being disturbed.

In my opinion, I'll rather have rules about this and remove the abuse/language thingy.ç

Of course.. the clients/server should also have ways to try to avoid lag. But there will be always a limit... it doesn't matter how hard the developers try, there will always be situations when lag will be disturbing, and if separating 1 person from the sake of all the other players can solve this, then good.
Last edited by Fern on 26 Aug 2009, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Rain *does* cause lag for many people. Since there is always a lot going on in towns I propose that the town maps be flagged "indoor", preventing rain and arrow-hail.

I also personally think Delasia's actions were correct. Try running TMW on an old machine, in the rain. You simply can't play like that. I'm all for abusing bugs :twisted: :evil: but causing multiple people's TMW clients to grind to a near-halt when they are asking you to stop is just plain abusive behavior towards others. Warping the offender far away seems like the least-force method of making the abuser stop.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

MadCamel wrote:Try running TMW on an old machine, in the rain. You simply can't play like that.
What about an option to disable effects?
Perhaps, when the option is activated it could highlight with a bit of color the area of effect of the spells (a bit like debug mode grid) and show the name of the spell (not the magic word) for you to know what's going on.
DonCBen
Novice
Novice

Post by DonCBen »

MadCamel wrote:Try running TMW on an old machine, in the rain. You simply can't play like that.
If you're playing your computer in the rain, I fear it doesn't matter how old it is. :lol:
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

warrior char: Donnie B.
mage char: D. Camaro