beanie copter cap-quest idea

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

0x0BAL
Peon
Peon

Re: beenie copter cap-quest idea

Post by 0x0BAL »

o11c wrote:getting an Iten means either a typo in the name of the item to be given, or the item is not in item_db.txt
as jenalya said, its because i still didnt add it to my local server.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

As far as I understand the cap is not ready to be added yet, i think that the XML has to be ironed out for it to be ready, there is also one pixel that has to be erased. I'm going to work on getting that stuff sorted.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

Might be cool if you could fly (teleport) small distances with that cap.
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

LordDune wrote:Might be cool if you could fly (teleport) small distances with that cap.
dont feel its necessary to add such an advantage. the coolness of the cap speaks for itself
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I integrated the beanie copter quest with the already existing milly script, tested and pushed to my fork. So far I think the script is done, though additional testing and review would be welcome. :)
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

@LordDune & bell chick

This cap will not have any fancy stats or superpowers. I think bell chick is spot on, it is mostly a fashion item.

Something along the lines of def +5 and maybe, really maybe some other stat raise. (int +1 or luck +1)
Personally i think i like the int +1 because it is reffered to as a nerd hat. Luck +1 would make it a slightly worse version of the pinkie helmet but slightly better then the pinky antenna.. Anyway, neighter of those stats will affect the balance of the game. But i leave this decision up to others that have more experience of stats.

It is in a way an end-game item, so the players that will get it will probably have the best gear available when they recieve this one maybe barring the illia quest goodies. To be honest those charachters do not need another powerful armour/gear item.

@Jenalaya

I would love to test it out once I'm finished with the sprites and xml that i have switched focus to now. What is the ip/adress to your personal test server?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

veryape wrote:I would love to test it out once I'm finished with the sprites and xml that i have switched focus to now. What is the ip/adress to your personal test server?
I only have a local testserver, not a public one. But I just made the quest available on the official testserver. I temporarily replaced the BeanieCopterHat with the HighPriestCrown in the script, so it's testable without the item being added yet.
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

veryape wrote:
It is in a way an end-game item, so the players that will get it will probably have the best gear available when they recieve this one maybe barring the illia quest goodies. To be honest those charachters do not need another powerful armour/gear item.
i fully agree here which is why i said no special abilities. we already have towels for teleporting and like you said its more for the player that basically already has everything
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I'd like to include this quest in the next release.
The Beanie Copter quest is currently available on the testserver. More testing and feedback would be very welcome. Talk to Milly in Hurnscald, starting with a low level character who hasn't done any quests yet.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Can i set the queststatus for myslef on the test server?

I don't have time to complete them all on that server right now. Otherwise can the official testers/admins do it with their privileges?
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

no you cannot :-S
Create a debug npc with which you set the quest status.
But setting the status is nearly impossible you would have to edit the save file of the char / map server and that is a real Female dog, wolf, fox or otter

if the debug npc is finished join on IRC and message me I can add it to the testing server whenever you want. so can frost jenalya void and o11c. (I def forgot someone but I think I supplied enough names)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I just wrote a special purpose debug npc and restarted the testserver to add it.
https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... c4faad395e

A note to the testers: Milly reacts with her dialog to the player having completed certain quests. That's why I suggested to start with a clean character. Sorry for not explaining this, I somehow thought that everyone would've read veryape's draft for the quest.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Here are my first impressions: (copy of a thread with Jenalya)

I was first a bit surprised that a low level char with no quest can start it as chars are supposed to have spent some time in Tulimshar. I guess this is only an extreme case for testing. I created a fresh char for it and followed Sorfina's instructions until the char was able to go to Tulimshar (level 3.5). (is this a quest?).
I warped then in Hurnscald and spoke to Milly.
She asked if I knew about Kfahr.
I tried the different options and was obliged to go and speak Kfahr, which I did once (no beer).
I return and speak Milly again (tried other options again) and finally answer that I met him: she asks then if I listened to the stories.
I have to listen to the stories (comment of old player, I'll have to do it again at level 60 :?)
@item beer 5
I listen to the stories one by one, return to Milly between each one, and try the 4 options each time.
Now, again when Kfahr is drunk, Milly still says : "oh I hope you stayed..."
I am stuck at this point. Milly should say some thing different now :/
Jenalya wrote:A note to the testers: Milly reacts with her dialog to the player having completed certain quests. That's why I suggested to start with a clean character. Sorry for not explaining this, I somehow thought that everyone would've read veryape's draft for the quest.
I stopped at the point of my previous PM because I wondered if it was these condition you wanted to seek about. But I'll complete Bone knife quest and continue the test.
Don't be sorry about that; if you alredy knew the thoughts and reactions of players, there would be no need for testing. This is also the reason why I don't read dev forum with few exceptions, and no script commits before testing. :)

I completed the various required quest an tried almost all dialogs. No problems except maybe, some sentences that seem a bit weird to me (I mean non english). May I suggest to ask to someone to read
them again? qwertydragon corrected some wiki pages and I found his corrections more than pertinent, with some humour too. He is not very often online but has a forum account and is often on IRC. He is generally glad to help.
I had fun with some Milly's replies :)
Unfortunately I made her sad because I refused her present. I wandered over the whole world and got some extra boss ponts and levels; but nothing seems to make her happier. :(

Nard
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: beanie copter cap-quest idea

Post by Jenalya »

There's currently no chance to make Milly happy again after you declined the cap, so this is actually a quest you can fail to do.
I was unsure about that when implementing the script, but then decided to go with what veryape conceived.
Veryape, what do you think about that? Should we add a possibility to reconcile Milly after you declined the cap or rather leave it like it is currently?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: beanie copter cap-quest idea

Post by Crush »

I think it's not a good idea to have quests which can become unwinnable by making a wrong decision. This is a very frustrating experience for the players and just drives them to the wiki to look up exactly what to do instead of experiencing quests like they are meant to be experienced.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.