Meway

A forum for the community to suggest new Game Masters. PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Forum rules
1. Each member of the community can make a topic (poll) suggesting another person for a GM. You can't make a poll for yourself.
2. One topic per person, any duplicates will be removed and votes will be lost.
3. Each poll has to be done according to the schema (yes has to be first option and no the second):
"Do you agree for person X to become a GM?"
"Yes."
"No."
You are supposed to allow only one option per user and allow revoting.
You are supposed to pick "run for 0 days".
4. A person suggested has to collect at least 45 votes (or more) for yes, with minimum 75% for yes and maximum 25% for no (3:1 ratio).
5. A person suggested may request closing of the topic.
6. Only posts containing valid pros and cons are allowed in the threads, discussions however are not allowed. For discussions about particular case use Player Talk forums.
7. If a person collects the required votes, assuming there are free positions and no objections are raised, they'll be granted "Junior GM" rights for a certain period.
8. After training and approval from the senior GMs, the team will formally grant full GM rights and team membership.
9. If many persons will gain required voices, voice count will matter.
10. The amount of GMs to pick in certain time line will be determined by the TMW Team (Admins, GMs and developers).
11. Persons rejected due lack of free positions will be put on hold till any position becomes available (according to vote count).
12. If more than a year passes, a new poll must be open to ensure the community is still fine with the nomination.
13. Usual GM choosing criteria and guidelines still apply, persons not meeting those criteria will be rejected and will have their thread closed.
14. Sockpuppeting will be detected and all accounts, including the master's one will be banned forever without warning. There is one vote per person, and a person means a human being not a forum account.
15. If this forum will turn into a flame war cave, people posting here will act unreasonably and will break the rules on massive scale, forum will be closed down. So use it wisely.
16. If you don't know a person suggested, it is better to find out who is s/he and what they do before voting, do not vote "no" just because you don't know someone.
17. State EXACT player name that clearly identify a person (in game or on forums - precise which one it is).
18. After a candidate receives required amount of votes, the poll is closed, a candidate reviewed by the TMW Committee and asked (or not - in case of valid objections) to become a GM.
19. You need to have at least 10 posts to participate in the polls.

make meway a gm?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 48
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Meway

Post by Big Crunch »

MerlinX420 wrote:I thought it was an unwritten rule that members of the dev team should not be GM's.
I think a separation of powers is a good thing. We kinda have 3 branches of our own government. GHP,Dev's,GM's
GM's and devs are part of the GHP

we have admin, devs, and GMs
sexy red bearded GM
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

MerlinX420 wrote:I thought it was an unwritten rule that members of the dev team should not be GM's.
I think a separation of powers is a good thing. We kinda have 3 branches of our own government. GHP,Dev's,GM's
What "powers" need to be kept separate here? The power to kick someone for spamming and the power to make pixel art? The power to spawn monsters and the power to write quests for the game?
The power to run tiled and the power to use @hide to watch a bot?

The rest of your post doesn't make sense either. Platyna is in charge. Your tripartite government would apparently comprise Platyna's father, Platyna's son, and Platyna's holy ghost.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

The only reason there's not a lot of overlap between Devs and GMs, is because people only have so much time to spend.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Developers cannot be GMs, therefore even if meway passes the voting he will not be made a GM.

Regards.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

When did he contribute his last commit?
I mean, when do you loose the "Dev" status, so you're free for gm nomination?
---
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Platyna wrote:Developers cannot be GMs, therefore even if meway passes the voting he will not be made a GM.
Platyna, I'm confused. As I understand it, an official "Developer" has two in-game characteristics: GM level 40 (usually) and a hat that says DEV on it. Likewise, I believe that a "GM" has two in-game characteristics: GM level 60 and a hat that says GM on it. The main difference, of course, is what the person actually does: GMs manage problems in the game, assist players, spawn monsters, etc. Developers create or improve content or code.

Mechanically, there would be no "conflict" between GM levels; they would simply get the higher one. Surely the concern is not about pretty colored hats.

Although a Developer would not wake up one day with GM status, a GM might wake up with ideas to contribute to developing the game.

I'm wondering if there is a special protocol if, for example, a GM would like to submit pixel art or has an idea for a new quest. Useful contributions are typically accepted from "normal players;" is this different if the person is a GM?

P.S. Sorry about the Platyna Trinity comment. I couldn't resist! :D
-unknown
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Platyna wrote:Developers cannot be GMs, therefore even if meway passes the voting he will not be made a GM.

Regards.
Platyna I respect your authority but anybody can become a developer so this statement is one, inaccurate, and two, discriminating. Why would you deny more help? Btw Don't let my inactivity fool you, I still lurk around :)

This game should IMO overflow with GameMasters (I like to call them Game Moderators), this way if there is any problems at anytime during the day there are multiple GM's available to help. This game should not be community based administration. GM's should not make themselves apparent until a @wgm command is executed and should not (with the available tools) ever have to be visible to take care of a problem.
Game administration and moderation (including moderation of players) > Neophytes playing tmw
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

This is not discussable and it is made to ensure division of powers.

Regards.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I have the powers of a normal player so... please keep up to date.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Frost wrote:
Platyna, I'm confused.
I'm wondering if there is a special protocol if, for example, a GM would like to submit pixel art or has an idea for a new quest. Useful contributions are typically accepted from "normal players;" is this different if the person is a GM?
This was answered on IRC:
<Frost> Platyna, would you please define what a Dev is in your rule?
<Platyna> Frost: Someone that has developer or contributor status.

To me, this clarifies the situation. Casual contributors don't get hats or git push access. A current or aspiring GM doesn't need to worry that simply contributing to the game will create a conflict. Many people contribute work without getting official "developer or contributor status."
-unknown
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Platyna wrote:This is not discussable and it is made to ensure division of powers.

Regards.
I am not an active developer here so please withdraw the statements that insinuate there is a problem with me becoming a gm here.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Frost, I don't think the concern was ever that a GM could not submit some form of content for the game, but rather, that they will not want to when any "actual" developer can either tweak their work any way they'd like, or worse, ignore any further input from them because "you're not a developer, I am" lol. Unfortunately, with any kind of status, will be some who take on a superior attitude because of it. At any rate that's all I'll say on the manner, as this topic is about Meway running for GM. I only replied here because I feel like making a new topic for it would just result in annoying controversy and get locked almost immediately.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Due to his inability to act maturely and general crybabiness, as well as the inability to form a coherent argument even when backed by evidence, I regret that I can no longer personally support Meway for GM.

(However I cannot deny his right to run)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Close it. I may change my mind later.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

You joined the game yesterday and you broke several rules - you spammed and abused other players including GMs.
In short; there is higher chance that a giant asteroid will hit Earth this year than you becoming a GM.
I see that the community has the same opinion as mine.
Closing the thread as requested.

Regards.