Player-set 1.5

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

lien
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Player-set 1.5

Post by lien »

Ali-G wrote:
Reid wrote:Btw, how many frame do you will put for the animation?
I will change the eye blinking when the character attacks and maybe (I will see after) a little blink when he is walking.

After that, I will try to do a blinking animation when the character is sitting down doing nothing. (This doesn't change any hat at all.)

How can we make a gif animation with gimp?

Reid: I will let the eye color away atm.
[ctr (maj) + s] save it in .gif (all your frames corresponds of each layers) > save it as animation > choose frame times and other things.

Lien...
pateame

Post by pateame »

Amazing! :D
This new playerset also could be extremely useful to update "spritesheet-based monsters" as Skeletons, Bandits, or Terranites, adding new attacks to make them look less monotonous and giving more fun to players.
I think could be more useful to test it on eathena while also testing the XML instead of do GIF animations, but any GIF work sure will be appreciated by all. I wish you all success with testing and implementing this new playerset. Good teamwork!
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Just an update on the 'rigging' side of things:

I got the male and female sprite sheets reorganized for easy xml and did the xml for the sprites and test xml for the 3 weapons mentioned earlier. I still need to do some horizontal and vertical alignment to each of the new frames. I will get to it tomorrow. Until it is done, maybe we can lock further updates on the player sprite, as well as on the test weapon graphics (sry skipy but this would make my life a whole lot easier).

I will post all the relevant files when its done.

Also a quick question for skipy:
for both male and female sheets, the 1rst and second frames of the left and right 1hand swing are interchanged (ie 1->2 for left, and 2->1 for right). Was this intentional? It might help reduce the pure mirroring effect if the left/right sequences weren't exactly the same! If it was an error I will correct it right away.

PS I think the blacksmith's axe would make a better test weapon than the normal axe. The bs axe is almost a solid block and so it will be easier/quicker to pixel than the curved blades on the normal one.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

"Was this intentional"--->truly, no :roll: ....was just something i over looked(or maybe i was thinking one or the other for use and that being my way of showing it :wink: ..)...most likely i missed it :| , ....and as far as how it should be/how to use ??---> im open to your judgment on that....
i will have some time soon to sit and really put some time it ,but for the next week i can only get 10-30min in to my gimp...
i hope is in the time i do have in the "now" i can get you what is needed to start the testing process ....
what im looking to get --> is (not me) to say that they think that the player-sheet-male and player-sheet-female have there shape ready for equipment pixeling ...
AS SOON AS KNOW ---> equipment pixeling/editing can start ...the editing needed is a lot and this will take a long long long time to get done ....so the sooner we start on it the sooner its done ..{(q)how do you eat a elephant? ..(a)one bit at a time} ..this is also some thing new comer artist can help in ( people have asked in game about this)...

i think i may be done rambling my mush-brain words for tonight ..................................................... :wink:
:twisted: --skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

After many hours of testing and several gimp crashes later, I finally finished aligning ans testing both sprite sheets.

skipy:
The cast frames are fine. It turns out I was fooled the jitter caused by unaligned frames. Once the up sequence was cleaned up everything eneded up looking great (too many ups in this sentence!).

I also fixed the reversed 1rst and 2nd frames of the left/right 2hand swing. I thought that this might cause problems later if someone doesn't notice the right sequence is NOT a straight mirror of the left.

A few new things that I noticed:
1. The 2nd and 3rd frames for the up and down 1hand swing are reversed. This is not as big a problem, since there is no way to confuse them as being mirrored and it isn't noticeable unless you know its there. I just wanted to catalog it and get it off my mental list.

2. The 4rth frame of the male 2hand swing has a graphic glitch. He is missing one leg of his shorts. Its almost like he is pulling an Incredible Hulk and bursting out of his clothes!

I am attaching the updated spritesheets as well as a gimp file for the weapon templates. I thought I would give you a head start and set up all the sprite frames and layers. Once the weapon graphics are done, we are ready to request the new actions be added to the client.
Attachments
template.zip
(65.57 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
spritesheets.zip
(253.01 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

sweet(you rock nmaligec)---this is all good news ...thank you so much for your hard work ....the graphic glitchs will be fix when i do a clean up run on the sheet....but it looks as if we have the shape locked down (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: ).......soon i will set up a topic for "the big equipment edit"....and move more of my focus back to the crypt (as well as finishing up some npc stuff).....ill work on this(player and "weapon graphics") as i work on other stuff ...

so the next step here would be "the big equipment edit" and ""weapon graphics".... :mrgreen:

thank you nmaligec this is good timeing...

------------skipy[edit] ---> i looked over the weapon-temples...and they are super helpfull ...this saved lots and lots of time ...i sould have some test weapen for you soon-------------- :mrgreen: skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

just a demo of a test :mrgreen: ...

----------skipy
Attachments
weapon templates-pole-work-test.gif
weapon templates-pole-work-test.gif (4.13 KiB) Viewed 4883 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Sookill
Peon
Peon

Post by Sookill »

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3254 ... 522b68.gif
Keep the object to one side, you cant simply swing such a long pike.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Sookill wrote:http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3254 ... 522b68.gif
Keep the object to one side, you cant simply swing such a long pike.
i do know what you are saying.in your link you give a "side" pike attack example and i posted a demo of a down pike attack...
.. i was trying to make it like a chop/stabb , we will have weapons that do one or the other and some both..
when the side pike attack is done i bet it willl look like some what like the link you have post here.and if you look (the object is to one side)...and pole-arms like halberds use a chop as well as stabbing...{{i can simply swing such a long pike,i do so everyday(hell,im swinging one right now)}}...

so ,im sorry to disagree with you .......but if you really want to show what you are saying ...use the weapon template's and pixel what you see in you head and i will pixel what is in my head and what ever is of more use to the game will be use..
i welcome any artiest to show there art or ideas ....help is always welcome..

-------------skipy[edit]---------->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNTKy8L ... re=related

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

nice skipy but IMO, I would have made a finer pike and I looks like the weapon slips forward a bit.

Another important thing: why not do weapon templates that are currently in game ? :D
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G wrote:nice skipy but IMO, I would have made a finer pike and I looks like the weapon slips forward a bit.

Another important thing: why not do weapon templates that are currently in game ? :D
Need pixelart to do that, and need time for them too.. and the pike was only a mockup (i think) its not the done product.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Ali-G wrote:nice skipy but IMO, I would have made a finer pike and I looks like the weapon slips forward a bit.

there is templates for the new weapons in this topic(look up 7 post back and its in the zip) ....and a stab template(what you see in game now) in lots of topics...maybe the easiest one to find would be in the reaper topic at the end(this is a guess...feel free to dig for it your self or ill post when i have the time)

@Reid---->"and the pike was only a mockup (i think) its not the done product"-----> indeed ...you are all lucky i did not make it just one color like blue hehehe :wink:

-----skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Sookill
Peon
Peon

Post by Sookill »

skipy wrote:just a demo of a test :mrgreen: ...

----------skipy
The animation looks too choppy weather you like it or not, It looks as if the pike is warping, and it looks to short as well.
Simply ripping off the sword attack and changing a few pixels wont work here, you should start from scratch, the legs also look confusing.

Weather you want to improve this or not is up to you, not me .
And remember, I'm just giving some advice.

There is only one correct way of using a pike, you cant simply slice someone with this, its no sword, it only has one sharp end.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

skipy, I'm liking the way it looks. Maybe cut out the frame where the front is lifted up really high. I think this frame might be messing with the flow.

Also I noticed you cleaned up my cleaned up alignment. It looks much better. I tried to give the last frame a bit of a side step but it still looked messy compared to the version you posted. REMEMBER to update the player sprite frames with the same changes. It was really tedious aligning and testing it one action at a time, so I would like to avoid doing it again if I can.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Sookill wrote:
skipy wrote:just a demo of a test :mrgreen: ...

----------skipy
The animation looks too choppy weather you like it or not, It looks as if the pike is warping, and it looks to short as well.
Simply ripping off the sword attack and changing a few pixels wont work here, you should start from scratch, the legs also look confusing.

Weather you want to improve this or not is up to you, not me .
And remember, I'm just giving some advice.

There is only one correct way of using a pike, you cant simply slice someone with this, its no sword, it only has one sharp end.
""Simply ripping off the sword attack and changing a few pixels wont work here""---->im sorry you think of it like that ,but a lot of work went in to changing the player sprite as little as possible ...the reason this was done in this way was to cut down on the work need on the equipment that is as of now -->in game ..... i would have love to do this player set from scratch ...but if that was done we would only have hats and alot of good pixel-art would have to be scraped....

@Sookill----> if you dont like the player set,or how i am doing it feel free to start a redo (from scratch) or bend ,twist, or edit any thing i or others have done so far....- keep in mind that this is not just for the "pike" but for lots of pole-arms... and as i said before "i can simply swing such a long pike,i do so everyday(hell,im swinging one right now)"
nmaligec wrote:skipy, I'm liking the way it looks. Maybe cut out the frame where the front is lifted up really high. I think this frame might be messing with the flow.

Also I noticed you cleaned up my cleaned up alignment. It looks much better. I tried to give the last frame a bit of a side step but it still looked messy compared to the version you posted. REMEMBER to update the player sprite frames with the same changes. It was really tedious aligning and testing it one action at a time, so I would like to avoid doing it again if I can.
this is just a test gif ...i cut the said frame and added a doubled the hiting frame and added trails (its ugly in a gif but detailed well in a png i think it would add alot )..."so I would like to avoid doing it again if I can" :lol:--->indeed ....what you did saved alot tedious aligning on my part (dose not come easy for me)...
so if changes pop up ill be using your templates as the "control" (like it is written in stone) :twisted: :mrgreen: so,yes i will REMEMBER :wink: ----btw it still rocks.....

-------------skipy
Attachments
weapon templates-pole-work-test1.gif
weapon templates-pole-work-test1.gif (4.1 KiB) Viewed 4795 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido