[DIS] Blinking + Idle sprite sheet improvement

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Blinking + Idle sprite sheet improvement

Post by Alige »

Hello folks :D, here is the male change of the player sprite sheet posted by nmaligec here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 3&start=90

1 - I changed the eye blinking on the sprite sheet, any comments are welcome. At the moment, eye dying is too complicated and gives too much work!

2 - I also added an "idle" sprite sheet for faces of people that are afk (like 4144, TradeBot (that is not anymore here...) and AuctionBot). This will add a lot of "beauty" in the game. The masks, hats and other head armors do not need to be changed!!!, it can be if needed but later!

3 - The blinking that seems important to me is when player aims with bow (2 different particular frames).

4 - Some blinking was added when player walks (I don't know if it is good...) and same when hand attack.

5 - Female sprite sheet will be posted IF 1) necessary 2) work is good 3) i have time :D

Napalm.
Attachments
player_male_idle.png
player_male_idle.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
player_male_base.png
player_male_base.png (125.12 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Last edited by Alige on 09 Jun 2011, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] Nlinking + Idle sprite sheet improvement

Post by skipy »

good job on the faces and the placement of them.....

the sprite sheet may need to be re-done later IF we end up cutting lots of frames ....but i am un-sure at this time if that is going to happen soon or later..

the new faces will add lots of feeling to the player-sprite.

---skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

skipy wrote:the new faces will add lots of feeling to the player-sprite.

---skipy
You mean that I could do more different eye blinking on the sprite sheet or is it ok for now?

Female sprite sheet is a bit harder about blinking because they have bigger eyes... It will follow later.

Sincerely.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

why blinking is on the sprite? why not add it as accessorie?
And why ol 1 blinking frame?
2 or 3 is better, trust me..
Placing them in the sprite will do a very bad thing, imagine when you run to the south, every 2seconds the player will blink?....
Now imagine with the speed walk skill :)

Btw, why when he sit it look like that he is in ... wc?.. :oops:

Edit : Maybe this can help you for the female... http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6776/nana2.gif
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

As Reid said, it will be better to make the eyes into an accessory. This way you can totally change the timing using xml.

For instance, there are 6 walk frames for the down facing walk sequence. Here is the xml (I think its 1000 delay ticks for a second)

Code: Select all

<action name="walk" imageset="base">
	<animation direction="down">
		<sequence start="1" end="6" delay="75" />
	</animation>
Now if the eyes are separate and say the first frame has the eyes open and the 2nd has them closed, you can do this in the eyes.xml:

Code: Select all

<action name="walk" imageset="eyes">
	<animation direction="down">
		<frame index="1" delay="5000" />
		<frame index="2" delay="75" />
	</animation>
This would have the effect of making the player blink every 5 seconds of constant walking, no matter what walk frame they were at. If the eyes were included in the base player frames you could not do this.

That was a simple example, now think about adding different expressions at 5 second intervals like squint or double blink (just do a quick frame 1, then 2, then 1, and 2 again).

For the sit action with only 1 frame this doesn't really matter since you can just add additional frames with different eye expressions and use xml for the timing. BUT WHY? The legs don't change position and neither does the rest of the body. It would be more efficient to make a sprite sheet for only the part that moves... ie make a separate eye sprite sheet.

So for now use the player sprite sheet for figuring out where the eyes are and what frames you need for attack sequences. When you are done you can cut out just the eyes and place them into their own sprite sheet and do the xml for it (or ask someone to help do it for you). The last step would be to delete duplicate frames in the sprite sheet and use xml to display them.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [WIP] Blinking + Idle sprite sheet improvement

Post by Kage »

Great planning idea, but don't spend too much time on this at this time. Making the eyes a separate layer would be the best way to implement this, but there are some issues. First of which is that we don't have a layer for eyes. Second biggest issue is animation timing. It is likely that everyone eyes will blink in sync for all players loaded at one time.

Fother has long since requested random animation delays, which would be a solution to this. But this is far from implementation and there are more urgent needs.

So keep the idea in your mind, and we can implement it when we support more dynamic layering options and random animation delays.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Player faces us

First lign of the eyes sprite sheet is when player is facing us. (# from left to right)
1&2 When player is normal
3&4 When player 1/2 blinks
5&6 When player blinks
eyes-spritesheet.png
eyes-spritesheet.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
These can be combined. For example when player blinks : 1&2 are used together. Another example : When player is on the frame where he finishes firing with bow, 3&6 are used, etc...
This creates are large amount of possibilities when player attacks, walks, is still, etc...
Between these frames, 3 pixels are given between 1&2 or 3&4 or 5&6, and 6 are given between 2&3 and 4&5 -> This is done like that so that we can take for example 5&6 at the same time instead of taking 5 and 6 separately

Player faces left or right

The second lign represents when player is facing left and right -> we only see 1 eye at the time and this is why we will and could not use 2 frames of this lign at the same moment.

1 When player is facing right normal
2 When player is facing left normal
3 When player is facing right angry
4 When player is facing left angry
5 When player is facing right blinking
6 When player is facing left blinking
eyes-spritesheet.png
eyes-spritesheet.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
I mean by "normal" when player is doing nothing special. Special is like the "angry" mode : I saw that when player starts attacking, his eyes change to "angry" mode, this can be kept. "blinking" is when player is fully closing the eyes.

Overall

1) I only made the male sprite sheet because female requires more work since their eyes are different (bigger).
2) These are the essential ones (maybe not "angry")
3) If more different are needed, go on and tell me or help me.
4) Colored eyes are not for now!
5) I need someone to do the xml when finished.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Give me two week and I do the female sprite + xml + coloration, as you don't want of woman in themanaworld :( :(
(yes, man can go away, i won't do the color for them ><)

:evil:

Edit: Hey... Eye are grey? They are dyable then.
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

@Reid -> I am not anti-female (don't know the word in english) but all i am saying is that I didn't start it, i just saw that i needed to redo all by myself.

In fact, you will see that eyes have a bit of blue so you need to transform that into grey +xml, color and man edit will be really nice in 2 weeks :)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G wrote: In fact, you will see that eyes have a bit of blue so you need to transform that into grey +xml, color and man edit will be really nice in 2 weeks :)
I will see that thanks to say me, and can I touch a bit at your man animation? I mean... Sorry but I always think that he is in wc >< :roll:
-- Ford Prefect