[DIS] Castle Walls

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Castle Walls

Post by Alige »

This week I worked on the Block Walls tileset Irukard made a long time ago. It wasn't fully done and that is why I expanded it a big. I made it more than 512x512 pixels and that doesn't mean it needs to be splitted up in 2 tilesets, it works fine as it is currently. Apparently Len also helped. Special thanks to EJlol for helping me with various things. Here is the original topic: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=150

Now, if you think you can improve things, please go ahead. I'm not a pixel artist and I probably don't have the knowledge to fix the things you might report here. That doesn't mean you can't say anything about that work, this is always appreciated. Communication is one of the best tool on earth we have.

On my side, this tileset is pretty much finished but minor fixes are greatly wanted if needed however I can't spot where these possible fixes are needed. I agree that the palette is really big but this tileset is really good compared to what we have currently in game so it might only be a minor thing to worry about. I also wanted to say that we currently do not have any interior or fringe tileset for the castle but before this tileset gets forgotten once more, I suggest we fix it until it gets pushed.

Hope I helped,
Ali-G
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] Castle Walls

Post by Jenalya »

Ali-G wrote:I made it more than 512x512 pixels and that doesn't mean it needs to be splitted up in 2 tilesets, it works fine as it is currently
The guidelines in wiki here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment say
Tileset size: Width: 512, Max height: 512 (for 1x1 sets)
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

According to the history of this page, it was last edited by Luca1189 at 01:27, the 10 December 2009. From that moment to now on, Tiled changed a lot so we don't have any problems dealing with tilesets bigger than 512x512 pixels.

Regards.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

The only new and "needed" change I've noticed is wooden ladder. Why did you change whole tileset (especially name) instead of placing necessarily tiles in additional file? Merging floor and wall tile is very bad idea. I removed floor on purpose.

I got somewhere on my disk a draft of additional tiles - especially diagonal and "T" shaped one.

I do like the ladder idea.

Also keep in mind that I'm very sensitive in case of proper pixel-tags.
Topic: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8568
File: http://www.lasdomogrod.pl/tmw/pixeltag/
Font: http://kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I figured out that I missed some other things too. I'll post my work asap, it'll be cleaner and without unecessary tiles.
Now if you please, could you post your work about that, I would really like that tileset to be done. I hate having work pending out for age.

EDIT: I will need your tiles you have so that I can continue working on this tileset. The more we have, the better it is.

Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
Ali-G
Last edited by Alige on 18 Oct 2011, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

i wrote: I got somewhere on my disk a draft of additional tiles - especially diagonal and "T" shaped one.
You has tile so I can has map for my? ;_;
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

meway wrote:You has tile so I can has map for my? ;_;
I guess he meant: "Could you please post your tiles here so that I can work on some personal maps?"
If not, well I doubt it was english.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

It was engrish he understood :p and you are correct. But I had cr1 in mind not my own private projects.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Ali-G wrote:According to the history of this page, it was last edited by Luca1189 at 01:27, the 10 December 2009. From that moment to now on, Tiled changed a lot so we don't have any problems dealing with tilesets bigger than 512x512 pixels.

Regards.
It doesn't make sense to have guidelines if we just decide to ignore them. If they need to be reconsidered because circumstances changed, I suggest you to start a discussion about that and then eventually change them. :)
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I think the diagonal walls was just about the only thing I was waiting on for the first CR-1 map. I wouldn't mind seeing them even if in an unfinished state.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

MerlinX420 wrote:I think the diagonal walls was just about the only thing I was waiting on for the first CR-1 map. I wouldn't mind seeing them even if in an unfinished state.
Thats all I have however, I hope Irukard worked on some more.
Attachments
SW Overview 2.png
SW Overview 2.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 8115 times
SW Overview.png
SW Overview.png (25.17 KiB) Viewed 8115 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

meway wrote:You has tile so I can has map for my? ;_;
Yes indeed. As I said, it's just a draft. AFAIR those tiles need some work, but draft state was fully map-able.
MerlinX420 wrote:Thats all I have however, I hope Irukard worked on some more.
I hope I'll find those tiles.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

i wrote:
MerlinX420 wrote:Thats all I have however, I hope Irukard worked on some more.
Just for info, I said that, not Merlin.

Now, I'm done with a lot of fixes about the castle walls tileset. I'm waiting for you to post your other works here before I post any of mine.

Regards.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents about this. There was no fixes to the set needed. You don't need the floor merged with the walls. This allows you to use different type of floors. I'm trying to find the reason or use of some of the tiles you edited and I can't really see any practical reason why you would do this.
I's tileset is fine the way it is. I did make some additions and I've included them as well as the tiles from your edit that seemed to have some use. (I'll be editing out the forced merger of the floor.)

Those drafts of the diagonal walls look very good. Much better then the transformation job I did for the crypt. I did not include them on this add-on set thou. IDK if the layout and tileing will be the same on I's more recent draft that seems to be in purgatory.

AFAIK Tiled never had a problem with sets larger then 512x512 I believe it is a issue with eA or maybe mana serv. I asked about this about a year ago when I was making the crypt sets. It was clearly explained to me that the 16 tiles x 16 tiles guideline should be followed. I really see no reason to clump everything onto one set. Pushing this set would disrupt anything anyone has made with the original set. Anything additional should put on to a separate set(s).
Attachments
blockwall2.png
blockwall2.png (201.71 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I updated the Castle tilesets in minor ways but also added some other things in a separate tileset. Both are a size of 512x512 pixels. If anything else needs to be added, feel free to add it to castle-walls-2.png tileset or to post it here. If there are any other improvements needed, please do. I'll let Irukard update the banners on the down right corner of those two tilesets.

Image Image