[WIP] Chess Dungeon

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Chess Dungeon

Post by Crush »

Inspired by http://forums.themanaworld.org/posting.php?f=8&p=122790 I decided to reactivate my old, old idea of a chess-themed dungeon and recreated the tiles from memory:
chess-mockup.png
chess-mockup.png (13.89 KiB) Viewed 7200 times
DO NOT expect me to become a regular pixel art contributor for TMW again. I will never again have as much time and energy to do pixel art as I used to. I could, however, find some time to complete this tileset (because this one isn't really as difficult and time-consuming as it looks) and create a map with it. But I will only do it under these conditions:

1. TMW content management supports me.
2. I won't be forced to partake in IRC discussions, wiki pages, trello, managing git repositories or anything else which eats my time and energy.
3. Someone else volunteers to create chess-themed monsters for this (Pawn, Knight, Bishop, Rook, Queen, King; black and white).
4. Someone else volunteers to do the scripting and integrate it into the existing content.

Do you think that we can collaborate under this conditions, or am I asking for too much pandering?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Chess Dungeon

Post by o11c »

As I see it, only 3. should be an issue.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

3. Is not so so hard if you think a bit. You don't need to make the walking animations, they simply move slowly. As for their attacks, they can be easely done with particle effects.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Did you miss the memo that the particle effect engine is already overloaded? Although I guess, if they're the only thing on the map ...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

An early mapping test. It's an absolute nightmare for mappers, but it's not like the tileset will be used on more than 3 or 4 maps, even though the next generations of newbie mappers will - as usual - try to shoehorn it into every new map:
chess-mockup_2.png
chess-mockup_2.png (75.43 KiB) Viewed 7182 times
Ali-G wrote:3. Is not so so hard if you think a bit. You don't need to make the walking animations, they simply move slowly. As for their attacks, they can be easely done with particle effects.
What I pictured were standard tournament chess pieces which are static while not in combat. Maybe make them hop a bit when moving. But when in combat they bash the enemy with their heads.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

This will add some other possibilities to the mappers.
Attachments
chess.png
chess.png (16.43 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Pawn: low damage, low speed, low hp
Knight: med damage, high speed, med hp
Bishop: High damage, high speed, low hp
Rook: high damage, med speed, high hp
Queen: very high damage, high speed, high hp
King: low damage, low speed, extremely high hp

The king should have the best drops and exp reward, so that it's the main reason why players go into the chess dungeon. While the king itself isn't very dangerous, it takes a long time to kill. While the players fight it, they have to watch out that none of the other pieces - especially not the dreaded queen - come around.

But that's gameplay stuff.
This will add some other possibilities to the mappers.
I already have these tiles, Ali-G.
  • NOT a game master

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Crush wrote: 4. Someone else volunteers to do the scripting and integrate it into the existing content.
Do you already have some rough storyline in mind? Since the mapping example you showed looks rather surreal, I suppose it should have to do with some magical place? Maybe some wizard offering a twisted game?

I can see how I could use it for my idea of the wizard tower (located in snow land, former member of the Sages of Kaizei who left the sages because of a conflict and is causing trouble). The concept I have in mind is to have several stages with different kinds of challenges, which the player(s) have to beat to progress to the next stage, with the evil sage as bossfight on the top.
But that idea is a long term plan, which will need a lot more new graphics, maps and other projects that relate to that storyline completed first.

So it'd be probably better to have a smaller project using this tileset/map, and eventually reuse the tileset in the wizard tower again, if it doesn't conflict with the storyline of the first project.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:I already have these tiles, Ali-G.
Well it didn't seem to me.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

This looks great crush, please do keep up the nice work. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chicka-Maria on 11 Mar 2012, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Jenalya wrote:... former member of the Sages of Kaizei who left the sages because of a conflict and is causing trouble ...
If this keeps going, there will be more people who have left the Sages than who remain members. Maybe just make the Sages be slightly evil?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

o11c wrote:If this keeps going, there will be more people who have left the Sages than who remain members. Maybe just make the Sages be slightly evil?
I'm not sure what you mean, there's only one evil sage planned, who's responsible for several troubles going on in the snow area.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Everything is more crazy with graphomania. I'll redo the hourglass. It came out too small. I want it to be much larger than the player sprites.
Attachments
chess-mockup_3.png
chess-mockup_3.png (28.89 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
  • NOT a game master

mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

This is an awesome idea! I imagine quite a few would find this neat too, so maybe finding artists to make the monsters won't be too difficult. I might even give it a try, but chances are someone will come up with something better before I'm done :P.

In terms of gameplay, having the monster "pieces" go aggro on anyone who touches their king would be rather fitting, but maybe too challenging depending how strong the monsters end up.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

mistergrey wrote:In terms of gameplay, having the monster "pieces" go aggro on anyone who touches their king would be rather fitting, but maybe too challenging depending how strong the monsters end up.
that would be cool but imagine queen pieces going after you and knights and bishops and pawns... i think it might be to much for someone to handle.

Also crush what levels were you thinking about for the map? would be nice to have some high level monsters for exp so it doesnt have to be the gy all the time. (like the king and queen..maybe bishop to)
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.