List of Essential Projects

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Len
Knight
Knight

List of Essential Projects

Post by Len »

List of things to do

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Certain projects are vital to the progression of TMW, some of which have been getting very little attention as of late.

*The new frames and animation are essential for the completion of the TMW server
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=120

*Animating NPCs
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3821
Matt wrote:Don't forget idle animations for npcs which dont move :)
*We also need someone to create some weapons that fit into the newer categories: KNIFE, SWORD, POLEARM, STAFF, WHIP, BOW, SHOOTING, MACE, AXE, THROWN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slightly less urgent

*You can make improvements upon some of our tilesets or help completely revise them
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 6&start=45
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=330
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=270
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=105
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 4&start=75
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 3&start=45

*We are always in need of new monsters (preferably larger ones)

*Creation of new equipment (preferably as a whole sets, rather than just helmets)

People often ask what needs to be done so I’ve made this list, feel free to suggest additions to it.
Last edited by Len on 13 Jul 2008, 23:29, edited 11 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: List of things to do

Post by Saphy »

Could you post a list of NPC that need to be animated? Some of the NPCs aren't up to par with the rest of the sprites and needed to be redrawn anyway, it seems wasteful to animate such NPCs.

I will try to see what I can do to the attack animation.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is just my personal opinion but I think that the NPCs marked on this image should be redone:
In most cases it would be sufficient to just change the head size a bit and/or replace the eyes.

Note that the new NPC graphic system allows to make use of the recoloring system. This means that it would be a good idea to change the colors of things like hair or clothes to recolorable color tones (100% saturation, hue divisible by 60) when animating.

The system also allows to combine an NPC from several graphics. This would, for example, be useful for the soldiers. You could create separate spritesheets for the soldiers in their different uniforms with the same animation sequence and then separate spritesheets for the weapons they can carry. Then it is possible to define a soldier with uniform A and weapon B.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Hi again,

Since there has been so many problem with the attack animation, I have created a new set:

This is designed for two handed weapon.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Saphy, can you please keep this in the New playerset frames and animations thread?

Pauan already made a quite good swing animation there. Maybe you could continue his work?
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Crush wrote:Saphy, can you please keep this in the New playerset frames and animations thread?

Pauan already made a quite good swing animation there. Maybe you could continue his work?
Sure. I will post in that thread as well.

But I don't like that swing animation, it is not how a swing should be executed. Frankly, I doubt anyone in real life would swing anything like that; the lower animation of the lower torse is wrong. Since fixing it is too much work, I may as well create it from scratch.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Resurrection... :lol:

Regarding animation of the NPCs, I'm guessing some can be simple and stationary such as a guy drinking at a bar..
Example from Chrono Trigger

It would be a great way to add movement and atmosphere to the maps
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Re: List of Essential Projects

Post by AxlTrozz »

animated tiles ? with animated NPC's combined with particle effect a complete alive scene !
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

AxlTrozz wrote:animated tiles ? with animated NPC's combined with particle effect a complete alive scene !
Indeed, that is the minimum every rpg needs! Even some click-and-run RPG editor (my first one i used, not rpg maker) in 2001 had that ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Moderator: Made sticky.

Normal me: Before the community spreads dreaming across all the things imaginable, let's just get the playerset finished fast for once? Pretty please?
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'd still prefer using the player set and equipment for NPCs (where possible).
Red Lord
Novice
Novice

Post by Red Lord »

Yes, but we must make the NPC's recongnizable. Change their poses a bit. Also, in regard's to Crush's post. I am working on a few of those NPC's. Currently working on the 1st, 2nd, and 16th.

For the kid sprites, shall we just use the player set, but lower the size of the head and everything else?
Formerly Blacklord
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We should continue to talk about the topic of childern sprites in http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4534
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Blacklord wrote:Yes, but we must make the NPC's recongnizable. Change their poses a bit. Also, in regard's to Crush's post. I am working on a few of those NPC's. Currently working on the 1st, 2nd, and 16th.
NPCs currently have a different color in the minimap. Giving them a different color for their names (and maybe some extra decoration around it) will help. Also, using monster sprites for NPCs (think sentient, ruler types) would also be nice.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The new NPC system allows to use virtually any image from the TMW data as an NPC sprite. It also allows to put multiple images over another and add particle effects to them.
  • NOT a game master