Voluntary assistance for quests

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
lion94
Novice
Novice

Voluntary assistance for quests

Post by lion94 »

Hello,

Like the topic says, I want to offer my support for people who need help at quests, no matter what kind of help, whether you aren't too strong or just don't want to waste time in collecting things like reed bundles or book pages or anything else, because when I made those quests, I was really annoyed at collecting such things alone and wasting time for nothing.
This help is of course voluntary, no one has to pay GP for this support.
Maybe some informations about me:

My ingame name is "doyouknow" , my currently level is 82, and I am not cash-hungry ;-)

So, if you need help, just mention your wish here in this topic or message me ingame.

Regards, doyouknow.
Kull
Novice
Novice

Re: Voluntary assistance for quests

Post by Kull »

I volunteer to assist new players with the Short Sword chest. I will give you the ten (10) free keys that are needed to open the chest, and I will make the cave as safe as I possibly can by moving/killing as many monsters as I can.

User name: Kull
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

What a kind soul :!:

But are you sure it is free service :?:

Is there an evil behind that :?:

Johanne
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When some players take your offers to farm quest items for them, then maybe there is something seriously wrong with those quests. Quests are meant to make the game more fun, not to be tedious and annoying. When people want to skip them by offloading them to someone else, then maybe they need to be redesigned to be more fun.

Would you like to post a list of the "worst" quests and why you think people need your help with them in the feedback or content development forum so that the content developers can take a look at them?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
lion94
Novice
Novice

Post by lion94 »

Johanne Laliberté wrote:What a kind soul :!:

But are you sure it is free service :?:

Is there an evil behind that :?:

Johanne

No, there is no evil behind that, you can be sure of that ;-)

Crush wrote:When some players take your offers to farm quest items for them, then maybe there is something seriously wrong with those quests. Quests are meant to make the game more fun, not to be tedious and annoying. When people want to skip them by offloading them to someone else, then maybe they need to be redesigned to be more fun.

Would you like to post a list of the "worst" quests and why you think people need your help with them in the feedback or content development forum so that the content developers can take a look at them?

First, the idea behind this assistance is to support them, and not let them offload the work to someone else.
I will not farm quest items for them while they just sitting around and can be lazy, I just want to make less expenditure of time for them so they haven't to farm all the time, because after a while it gets really frustrating when the chance of dropping the items is really low or when you need such a big amount of quest items or if you just aren't that strong to do it alone.

Quests were I think help makes them more comfortable:

Blue sage quest (Lvl 60): - "Help Santeri to make glue with 8 yeti claws"
---> It wouldn't be such easy to kill yetis with lvl 60 where you are able to start the quest,
support by killing them is less frustrating.

- "Help Ensio to collect 31 Book Pages"
---> Killing white slimes is of course makeable, but most of the players complained about the
low chance of dropping them; you also need ~50-60 book pages in total, so why don't help
a bit out? With bad luck it really gets frustrating to drop maybe 3-4 in 30+ minutes, which
I see as wasting time.

- "Help Eevert to make colored inks with 3 Poltergeist Powders,
3 Wisp Powders, 4 Iron Powders and 5 Bottle of Water"
---> Killing Poltergeist etc. in Graveyard with lvl 60? Never saw a person who can do it alone,
so why not make yourself a tank warrior, attack poltergeist once, and let the other person
,who needs the powders, kill it?

Angela's Daughter (lvl 70): Everybody knows that one single person can't do it by his own.
And yes, game masters also make global announcement for persons who wants to do
this quest, which I really appreciate. But not everyone knows that this kind of help exist,
so that these persons can post here or message me ingame, where I can organize the
rest.

These just two quests are the main quests were I think help is sometimes needed, and makes them more comfortable.
To all players who want help: The aim of this voluntary aisstance is not to farm the quest items for you, keep that in mind. The aim is just to support you and make it more comfortable, so that not everyone with bad luck or persons who aren't that strong to kill monsters will be frustrated or will waste time. Please do not exploit this kind of help.

Regards, doyouknow.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

lion94 wrote:
- "Help Eevert to make colored inks with 3 Poltergeist Powders,
3 Wisp Powders, 4 Iron Powders and 5 Bottle of Water"
---> Killing Poltergeist etc. in Graveyard with lvl 60? Never saw a person who can do it alone,
so why not make yourself a tank warrior, attack poltergeist once, and let the other person
,who needs the powders, kill it?
Those are rewards from monster points... Very frequent ones.
lion94 wrote:
Angela's Daughter (lvl 70): Everybody knows that one single person can't do it by his own.
And yes, game masters also make global announcement for persons who wants to do
this quest, which I really appreciate. But not everyone knows that this kind of help exist,
so that these persons can post here or message me ingame, where I can organize the
rest.
People with level 70 aren't such noobs... it takes many weeks for a completely fresh person to get this level, so I am really sure they witnessed Cindy announcements many times, or have friends who can help them.

My opinion:
10 angry scorpion stingers- worst. moment. ever.
Always when I help newbie this is a most frustrating part. A bit better drop rate, plz?
Also I would be pro removing the strict order of Tulimshar quests. At least to Dausen part. Most newbies are getting really confused by this,,,

Audsebel quests- srsly... how can a noob mage get this many tongues from snakes good for at least lvl 50 mage or level 70 tank?

I understand this annoying cave snake lamps quest... good exp for this level range and occasion to find jean shorts. The prize is ridiculous though. I think people are more eager to do quest if prize is cool, even if it needs a lot of grinding :)
I'm Image too much.
lion94
Novice
Novice

Post by lion94 »

Derpella wrote: People with level 70 aren't such noobs... it takes many weeks for a completely fresh person to get this level, so I am really sure they witnessed Cindy announcements many times, or have friends who can help them.

My opinion:
10 angry scorpion stingers- worst. moment. ever.
Always when I help newbie this is a most frustrating part. A bit better drop rate, plz?
Also I would be pro removing the strict order of Tulimshar quests. At least to Dausen part. Most newbies are getting really confused by this,,,

Audsebel quests- srsly... how can a noob mage get this many tongues from snakes good for at least lvl 50 mage or level 70 tank?

I understand this annoying cave snake lamps quest... good exp for this level range and occasion to find jean shorts. The prize is ridiculous though. I think people are more eager to do quest if prize is cool, even if it needs a lot of grinding :)

Well, then let me say you I was that kind of "noob" and didn't know anything about those global announcements..

To Crush: The rest derpella wrote can be also seen as "worst" quests.

Regards, doyouknow.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

lion94 wrote:I want to offer my support for people who need help at quests...because...I was really annoyed at collecting such things alone
Crush wrote:When some players take your offers to farm quest items for them, then maybe there is something seriously wrong with those quests....Would you like to post a list of the "worst" quests and why you think people need your help with them in the feedback or content development forum so that the content developers can take a look at them?
I understood his post to mean that he'll team up with people on quests. Since many of the quests were intended to encourage cooperation (and be difficult solo), such an offer would be consistent with the spirit of the game.

Now, if he had said "some quests suck," we could go down that road. If it's just an offer of "support for people who need help" that sounds like a fun style of play that should be encouraged.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

I've done it, and I'm sure more people has, but is not fun at all . :mrgreen:
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:When some players take your offers to farm quest items for them, then maybe there is something seriously wrong with those quests. Quests are meant to make the game more fun, not to be tedious and annoying. When people want to skip them by offloading them to someone else, then maybe they need to be redesigned to be more fun.

Most quests in game have a heavy grinding part. The most annoying ones era those you make alone, thus Tulimshar quests and low/mid level ones are the "worst". Now most of them are designed to bring the player to a certain level which allows him/her to be able to do higher accomplishments; and they do it quite well in my opinion. For example, the 10 angry scorpion stingers that were quoted can be gathered along Naem helping to carry bags, the main problem, when you see the mine the first time is how to choose the right stats to raise at reasonable speed, if you don't this part is kinda boring. Another example is sure the snakes lamp one, but what's it's goal? exp, gp? no the goal is to help player to get a pair of jean shorts. This one could have benefit being redesigned (cut into shorter pieces?)
If redesign is to occur, the number of mobs to be killed must not change a lot, to keep the actual balance. Different activities such as those Jenalya introduced in Tulimshar, or the investigation about robberies in Hurscald (I intentionally forget the grind for 2 dark blue dyes) would break the monotony of a single goal focussing. I think it would be useful to newbies if more experienced players had to stay a bit in Tulim. Aidan and Ishi, workshop, arrow shop, galaxy stranger, restat NPC (and sometimes Miriam) make them pass more often, perhaps they are not enough.

I like lion94's initiative, as it is the best way to help a new player: spending time with her/him makes the grind shorter, and let the newbie have an Idea of one the best sides of TMW: players. Lion94, If you mind to, I'd be happy if you joined CRC: http://crc.themanaworld.org :)

Nard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
gagolthegreat
Peon
Peon

Post by gagolthegreat »

Jimbo Rinfrette here, I am also very open to helping players with their quests.

I strongly believe in cooperative gameplay and will share items with lower levels if I have some to spare AND they agree to help others too. The goal is to encourage open sharing and discourage the "Monopoly" behaviour some low life s*****s shows in the game who cant stand to share a red slime spot with anyone and stay there for very long periods then goes to town and then SHOUT THEIR SALES!!!. Not cool...

I was able to get my demon mask early because of generosity of others during one of my Candor party.
Hosting regular Candors helps a lot to build reputation IMO and is VERY fun.

I am also considering founding Jimbo's academy to encourage various strategy sharing and training. (scheduled happenings, maybe create a building if it is popular)

I agree some quests are tedious, but then it is the game and the more difficult and tedious the quest, the better you feel when you complete it.

Jimbo Rinfrette out.