[DIS] Weapon skills - CR1

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Weapon skills - CR1

Post by Rotonen »

So, which weapon skills are we getting into CR1?

This also requires for us to lock down how we are going to split weapon usage into skills.

I'm for one advocating the infamous simple slash - blunt - pierce - ranged approach.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] Weapon skills - CR1

Post by Crush »

I am more a fan grouping weapons - and thus skills - in categories like sword, axe or knive.

I like the "Weapon Of Choice" implication it creates.

I also think "Swordman" sounds much cooler than "Slashing Weapon Man"
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

My vote goes with Crush's.

With slash - blunt - pierce - ranged, where would you put a spear, or worse, a noble axe, for instance?

Regards.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

A spear would be grouped into piercing weapons and I wouldn't even consider letting a noble axe into the game to keep things simple... :)

I guess we can leave my split for the actual specials coming out of the skills due to animation simplification (oh boy it will be fun abusing all the existing frames of the playerset for all the special attacks...), but this is heavily outside of the scope of CR1 here. Just noting out to get the idea out there already to brew over time.

But if I'm the only one advocating a simple approach here, let's hear a full list of weapon skill categories from you then.
This message used to be meaningful.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

A spear would be grouped into piercing weapons and I wouldn't even consider letting a noble axe into the game to keep things simple... :)

I guess we can leave my split for the actual specials coming out of the skills due to animation simplification (oh boy it will be fun abusing all the existing frames of the playerset for all the special attacks...), but this is heavily outside of the scope of CR1 here. Just noting out to get the idea out there already to brew over time.
:wink:

About the weapon's list, without going in obscure weapons, here is a start:

- Fist / claws / ...
- Knife
- Sword (one and two-handed)
- Elegant swords (Rapiers, sabre, ...) or assimilated as one-handed.
- Axe
- Whip / Chain
- Spear / Javelin
- Boomerang (SoM nostalgia)
- Sceptre / Rod / staff / stick / club / ...
- Mace

- Projectiles throw
- Bow
- Crossbow
- Sling

Regards.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

All do-able or being worked out with the playerset... but the crossbow might have an odd animation... but crossbows would look strange in their execution (unless you believe there will be plenty of different crossbows in hand to justify adding the necessary transitional torso animations and matching equip frames to make it a more pleasing animation :P ).
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Kage's proposal is also a good one.

Plus the fact, it's more original than the weapon based approach, I don't know what else to say than: Good idea. :D

Should we let the people use their skills based on their current weapons, or on the type of attack/defense they like to use most?

Regards.