Mana/TMW Development Weekly Summary

Where game and project announcements are made.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Mana/TMW Development Weekly Summary

Post by Jenalya »

In the last two weeks

- Lizandra, salmondine and Wombat worked on the graphics for Christmas event
- I worked on the scripting for Christmas event
- alastrim did various fixes in scripts
- Ali-G did some fixes, mainly on maps
- Ablu joined the team, did some code clean-up work on some scripts and is currently working on adding some indication about how many daily quest points you have left to the daily quest function
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the last two weeks,

- some fixes were done by o11c, Ali-G and me
- Querty Dragon contributed some dialogue change in Sema http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=15135
- Wombat worked on NPC poses
- I worked on the scripts and map for Christmas event, o11c already did some testing.
The event is planned to start on 10th December and will last until 24th. The reward time starts on 25th and will last until the end of the year.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi everyone,

It's been lot of time since I didn't post here, so I thought some would be interested. ;)

The Mana client
What is there:
- Many bugfixes by Ablu, Bjorn, and me.
- I added optional background icon support in the equipment window. I added icons provided long ago in the corresponding issue, and I'm inviting our pixel artists to make comment on them and fix them if needed. See here: https://github.com/mana/mana/commit/a09 ... 29ea2f7c6d
What is (ready and) pending to be added officially:
- I finally added a way to make the character's sprite change dynamically based on the equipment.
This means that you won't see your hair through your helmet, for instance. :)
- Ablu added a way to prevent circular includes in sprites definition files, which would lead to an infinite loop.
- I fixed a small movement glitch when playing with manaserv.
- I also started to make the chat text more readable, and I'll add quite soon a way to configure the chat text color
for the different character types, including yourself. (a long time missing feature, I guess)
- I also changed the server dialog window to make it support custom server in a cleaner way. (More to come on it, but after the next release, I guess.)

What is left before the 0.6.0 release:
Imo, the fix for the chat text readability and the hair styles and colors support are the ones left on the way of the 0.6 version.
Once those will be done, and tested, I guess we'll be ready to put it out for everyone.
As the translations string shouldn't change that much, I'll update the translation files as soon as possible, so people willing to translate will be welcomed to do so. :)
I will also make a release candidate once those features are in place, so we can catch the last showstoppers before making a release.

Manaserv:
What is there:
- Small fixes to the equipment system have been added.
- New scripting and chat commands, thanks to Ablu.
- Many bugfixes, too.
What is (ready and) pending to be added officially:
- The Angelscript handling branch is coming slowly but surely, and is more complete day after day, thanks to jurkan and seeseekey.
- I've added some scripting functions for equipment, competing the inventory facility for scripters.
- Ablu fixed some possible overflows in the inventory item amount when using MySQL.
- A bit of work has been done on the attribute system, permitting to setup min and max permitted attributes values.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past week a lot of testing and reviewing of the Christmas Event happened.
More informations can be found in this topic.

Also we might have a testing team soon, derpella already started to test some of the changes which will go in with the next restart.

Beside the Christmas Event, there are some fixes and improvements on various things, scripts, maps and the new Sema sprite and dialogue from Querty Dragon gets in.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past week,

there was a restart to bring in
- a fix I did for the Christmas Event and to expand the gift giving time until 6th January.
- some map fixes and the new skill icons by Ali-G
- updated graphics for the rings done by varuna
- and a new yeti claw icon by Nami

Nami, salmondine, Lizandra and wombat are focusing on the art requests for the next bigger content releases planned, which is the barbarian hunting ground (the quests are already on the testserver, but not yet finished) and the barbarian village.
I started to work on the formula for the raging skill and some concepts for the quests and scripts in the barbarian village.
Ali-G finished a new map which is part of the snow area extension.

Beside of that,
I finished the daily quest phrases which will give feedback on the daily quest points left
and replaced the note in the magic hut that leads to the snake pit with a warp to the snow area.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past two weeks, we were working on preparing the next big content release, the snow area extension which will bring in several new maps, monsters, items, quests and a new skill.

- Nami, salmondine, Wombat and Ali-G worked on the graphics
- Ali-G and I worked on the maps
- Wombat and I worked on the new monsters and their stats
- Ablu and I worked on the NPC scripting
- I'm working on balancing the new skill Raging, with the help of some testers, special thanks to Derpella :)

To make this release as smoothly and bug-free as possible, more testing is needed.
Regarding the quests, see this topic: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 91#p119891
Regarding the Raging skill, see this topic: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=15295

Please remember to also give feedback in those topics when you tested something.

Beside preparing the release, there were some tweaks and fixes done by Ablu, Ali-G, Reid and Bertram.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi everyone,

Just in time for 2011, you can find a first release candidate for the 0.6.0 version based on my own fork:

http://dev.themanaworld.org/downloads/m ... -win32.exe

Thanks in advance for your tests and Happy New Year!!!!

EDIT: As requested by Jenalya, here is for linux users, the repository you can clone to obtain the latest source code needed for testing:

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/Bertram25/mana.git
https://github.com/Bertram25/mana

For those who are brave enough to compile, here is the dependency list of the client:
http://doc.manasource.org/dependencies (Note that we're using cmake to compile on linux)

For those who can clone but cannot compile, here is the linux amd64 binary that you can copy in the src folder of the clone. (I'll add the x86 one asap)

In both cases, from the top directory, you can type src/<mana-executable-name> to start the client (in english if not installed)

Thanks in advance for your tests!!!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Bertram wrote:For those who can clone but cannot compile, here is the linux amd64 binary that you can copy in the src folder of the clone. (I'll add the x86 one asap)
Shame on you, dynamically linked linux binaries will fail to work if you have a different version of libraries such as libpng and libcurl
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

dynamically linked linux binaries will fail to work if you have a different version of libraries such as libpng and libcurl
It's a matter of time, and I swore I would fix that.
o11c wrote:Shame on you,
Same as WTF, and such other expressions. Please stay polite, is it possible?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past week the work in the next big release was going on:

- Wombat finished the antlers for the Reinboo.
- I added monsters to the new maps. This and the quests still need testing.
- the new skill Raging seems to have a reasonable formula now.

I started on some small quest series located in North Tulimshar to make the area less empty and add more content for low level players.

On the graphic development,
- salmondine and Nami worked on event requests.
- Nami started with NPC poses and outfits for child NPCs.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past week,

- I did some small fixes on the barbarian content based on the feedback I got from testers and cody started to review the script and do some more fixes, but this isn't tested and pushed yet.
- Ali-G, Pjotr Orial and I worked on the snow area maps.
It's planned to release this project in the beginning of February., so it's still time to visit the testserver and give feedback.

I worked on some new quests located in North Tulimshar. They also can be found on the testserver and I'd be glad about some feedback in this topic: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=15368
Nami is working on some new NPC sprites for children NPCs, some of them are planned to be used in this quests.

Beside of development for the regular releases some work on events is going on.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the last week,

- we were working on the barbarian content for the next release. Some graphics from salmondine, Nami and Wombat got added. Cody and I worked on the NPC scripts and Frost did a spelling and grammar check.
- cody did a patch to add the new minimaps.
- I worked on the quests for North Tulimshar. I got some helpful feedback from testers and also got an idea for an additional quest.
- some fixes were done by Ali-G and me.
- some graphics were cleaned-up or reworked by salmondine, varuna, Nami and Ali-G.

If nothing unforeseen happens, the next release will happen on February 1st. It will bring in new content in the snow area, including new maps, new quests, new monsters, new items and a new skill.
Many people did great work on this and the feedback from the testers was very helpful. Thanks to everyone. :)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the last week, we had a big content update expanding the snow area.
There were some bugs that weren't spotted during the testing on the testserver, which were fixed by cody and me. Thanks to every reporter. :)

The release contains some monsters which use monster skills as a try to create more interesting fight situations. We're interested on your feedback in this topic: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =4&t=15448

Also the new skill Raging was introduced. Feedback about that can be posted here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =4&t=15454

We're now working on a further expansion of the snow area and on the North Tulimshar quests for low level players.

On the organizational side of things, we're planning to move our repositories from gitorious to github. More information can be found here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 26#p121526
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

The new mana client version is now really soon to be released! :D

For more information, see: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =4&t=15340

Best regards,
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past two weeks a lot of things were going on.

- We had a restart to bring some fixes done by cody and me on the server-data side and by salmondine, Ablu, Ali-G and me on the client-data side.
- The mana client 0.6.0 got released.
- Bjorn did a purge of unused characters to reduce the lag.
- We moved our repositories from gitorious to github.

Regarding active projects,
- Nami and carmie worked on the child NPC sprites needed for the release of the quests in North Tulimshar.
- Nami and salmondine worked on the graphics needed for the next snow area release, Pjotr Orial and I worked on maps and I worked on the scripting.
- varuna and carmie worked on Thermin graphics.
- o11c and I worked on making different kinds of ranged weapons possible.