The great code update - 2013-09-27

Where game and project announcements are made.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: The great code update - 2013-09-27

Post by o11c »

Frost wrote:
o11c wrote:using accented characters is a really bad idea, since it can lead to weak passwords.
No, reducing the character space does not result in stronger passwords.
If it wasn't clear, I was talking entirely about TMWA, not systems in general. In TMWA, all accented characters are treated as the same character.
Frost wrote:If this is merely a change to the ladmin tool, then players can continue to use accented characters in passwords?
The server was never set up to handle accented characters properly, and I don't see any reason to change that other than to give better errors.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

o11c wrote:If it wasn't clear, I was talking entirely about TMWA, not systems in general. In TMWA, all accented characters are treated as the same character.
So, TMWA handled accented characters improperly? Will this be fixed?
o11c wrote:
Frost wrote:If this is merely a change to the ladmin tool, then players can continue to use accented characters in passwords?
The server was never set up to handle accented characters properly, and I don't see any reason to change that other than to give better errors.
So this didn't change, and "players can continue to use accented characters in passwords"?
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Frost wrote:
o11c wrote:If it wasn't clear, I was talking entirely about TMWA, not systems in general. In TMWA, all accented characters are treated as the same character.
So, TMWA handled accented characters improperly? Will this be fixed?
It's not on the priority list at all.

It was never safe to use accented characters in passwords, before or after, so players should continue to NOT use accented characters in passwords.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Utf-8 chars now not allowed in login and password. Now look like supported only ascii chars :(
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

4144 wrote:Utf-8 chars now not allowed in login and password. Now look like supported only ascii chars :(
Thanks for the clarification. I thought Ledmitz was gone forever. Now I know it's about Caps, in my case. whew! :?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak