Server Move

Where game and project announcements are made.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Server Move

Post by wushin »

TMW is moving to a new host this weekend and Sunday night around 10-12pm (CST) the server will go offline for the move. We should come back up within an hour if all works well.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Server Move

Post by gumi »

To answer some questions I received:

Why do you move to a new server?
The current host (MadCamel, aka Slicer) is no longer able to host the server

Who will host the new server?
A French company called OVH

Who will be the admin of the new server?
The same administrators as before. OVH will merely host the server and will not administer it.

Will I have to make a new account on the new server?
No, all accounts, chars and everything will be moved over so you don't loose anything.

What will be the new server address?
The server will use the same addresses as before (http://www.themanaworld.org, server.themanaworld.org, tmwdata.org and so on) but it might take some time for the DNS cache to expire on your machine so meanwhile you can temporarily use the address <removed link> (which points to the new server) in ManaPlus. Just edit the main server in the server list or add another.

Where will the new server be located?
In the city of Beauharnois, in Quebec

Will the move affect the gameplay? Will there be more (or less) lag?
It all depends on your geographical location and the routes used by your ISP.
To check the latency (ping) of the new server: <removed link>

Who is paying for the new server?
Wushin provided the initial payment to set up the server but we will implement some kind of donation page or a Patreon account (or maybe Flattr) so that the game is funded by the community
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

The server move is complete. Please report any bug (lag is not a bug)
SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

Client: manaplus (other linux version) 1.5.7.4

I don't know if it's a bug but, when i first login to the new server, the client were not downloading any updates. I reloaded the server list and manage to download some files with error message about resources.xml in several lines. And look like the files are saved in the wrong directories (~/mana/updates//updates.themanaworld.org), because the client is failed to log in to char server and trying to redownload and save more files to another directory (~/mana/updates/updates.themanaworld.org/updates) after restarting it. NitayandaRama and Octer said having the same issue.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

Yes it seems wushin temporarily changed the update server from tmwdata.org to updates.themanaworld.org
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

yeah, tmwdata.org wasn't in the DNS record we could control so we had to flip back to our local server as that was also something we lost from MC's hosting.
SriNitayanda
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SriNitayanda »

See the error sprite on the right part of the screen? (the report on the bottom part of the screen)
Attachments
ManaPlus_Screenshot_4.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_4.png (414.25 KiB) Viewed 7866 times
In control of tmw media (aka @broadcast) and tmw financial sector (aka GMstorage) | also a member of tmw Bilderberg Group (aka Phoenix Council guild)
2013-11/26/#General.log:[15:00] veryape: meh, guild is down, we cant conspire at all
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Do you know what mob it was supposed to be or was it part of the map? I can't reproduce on testing.
SriNitayanda
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SriNitayanda »

General Krukan, confirmed it spawning him in town. @spawn GeneralKrukan to reproduce on testing.
In control of tmw media (aka @broadcast) and tmw financial sector (aka GMstorage) | also a member of tmw Bilderberg Group (aka Phoenix Council guild)
2013-11/26/#General.log:[15:00] veryape: meh, guild is down, we cant conspire at all
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Was actually a bug in the client-data. I've fixed with a PR. We be patching TMWA and pushing a release soon.
John Wentworth
Newly Registered User

Post by John Wentworth »

Is this the first and only move? I assume that you've done your homework on this front, so you can feel free to ignore my inquiry, but I'm wondering if the current server is a dedicated server? Or shared VPS? How much room does it have for scalability? I know that it's a pain in the butt, so you definitely don't want to have to worry about moving again. I don't know if cloud servers are an option or not, since they can end up being expensive, but at least they have an almost infinite opportunity for scaling.

But, again, I'm sure that you did your homework before going with the current host, so I'm sure that this move should do the trick and that the host is well suited to handle any future growth. From what little I saw, you guys are doing a great job with the game. Keep it up!
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

The host is a shared cloud VPS and can be scaled