Wiki translation

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Wiki translation

Post by Alige »

Hello guys, I'm a bit busy on the wiki and I see that only a few people are translating. I would like everyone to help. I'll show you how to translate a wiki page but you must be logged in to do the following, don't hesitate to create an account. Don't use a stupid name or the account request will be rejected. I prefer people to use their TMW name.

1) Open the wiki page you want to translate, it should be in english. Click "edit" on top of the page and copy all the content.
2) Go back to the previous page and click on the language you want. If you don't see any language on top of the page, click edit and add this {{I18n}} to the top of the content.
3) Now paste what you've copied, including the {{I18n}} at the beginning. I don't want to see any {{Category_playerinfo}} or {{Status_green}} or any english in the translated page.
4) When you're done, please click on Save page at the bottom of the page.

Hints:
  • If you use Google Translation, I will ban you for a day, I don't want nonsense be written in the wiki! If you do that once more, you'll have to make another account... :evil:
  • If the page is too big for you to translate it at once, feel free to do it slowly. I don't care if it takes you time, I care about good content.
  • Please use the Show preview option at the bottom of the page. I know I should do that more often but I understand myself. :)
  • If you need any help, please post a reply here or send me a PM.
Wiki needs us!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Wiki translation

Post by Crush »

Only the pages which are targeted at the player community need to be translated.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... nformation

The development-related pages don't need translations because being able to communicate in english is a requirement for being a developer.

OK, guides like these could need a translation as well:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... p_a_server
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

To those who would like to translate:
If you are not sure if the page you want to translate needs to be translated / can help being translated, please post a link here and you'll get an answer pretty soon. Thank you.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I've been able to change the template for the translation to make it more visible and better to every user.

Currently, the Quests page is the top priority for the translations, including every single quest. As I saw, I translated the Quests page in French in about 10 minutes so a single quest shouldn't take too long.

If you don't want to translate a quest but do want to translate something, try using the Search tool of wiki and search for I18n. Every page that will appear were started to be translated or need to be translated. If you want to translate another page that doesn't appear in the Search list, please tell us here before starting to translate.

Remember these at least before starting to translate:
  • Add {{I18n}} on top of the page to translate to make the languages bar appear.
  • For links, for example a link to a translated Quest, write this for example at the beginning: Es:Quest Title|Quest Title Translated (Es stands for Spanish, Fr for French, De for German, Pt for Portuguese. Nothing for english)
  • Do not use Google Translation, you are warned.
  • Don't add these to the translated pages: {{Category_playerinfo}} or {{Status_green}}
Thanks to Obi-Wan Kenobi for the wonderful work he did.

EDIT: The fact that I'm french doesn't mean I will translate all the pages into french, no! I'm also in charge of all the english pages too!
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

For these you of course must be logged in!

How to translate the Quests page:
1) Go onto the Quests page (english) and click "edit" on top of the page.
2) Copy everything and come back to the previous page (the actual Quests page).
3) Click on the language you want and paste what you've just copied, now translate everything in english into the language you've choosed.
4) Click on "Preview page" to see how your work looks like. When you're done, click on "Save page"

How to translate a page:
1) Go on the quest you would like to translate, the page where you currently are should be in english.
2) Click on "edit" and copy everything, come back to the previous page, click on the language you want, paste and translate.

Tips:
  • Links should be translated too, here is an example from french to english: "[[Tutorial]]" becomes "[[Fr:Tutorial|Tutoriel]]"
  • Names of quest are really better when shorter!
  • Add a title to the translated pages! Look on current translated pages to see what I mean.
  • Do not add a Category at the end of the quest, remove the existing one thats all.
  • In the table under the image, do not translate the things such as "Level", "Prerequisites", "Start", etc... they should stay in english!
  • Look over your work before saving, I just banned someone for 2 hours because he saved his translated page on the english one! That was unacceptable.
  • Again, do not use google translation or you will be banned first for a day, then definitively if you do once more!
Der Loisl
Novice
Novice

Post by Der Loisl »

Ali-G wrote:
  • In the table under the image, do not translate the things such as "Level", "Prerequisites", "Start", etc... they should stay in english!
Some names of quests contain the names of items in game. Wouldn't it be easier and clearer for a player when we also keep them in english? As it is now, the player reading a translated quest page has to retranslate the items into english to find them in game.
Also, some items just sound weird when translating them into another language. So I stick with my opinion that item names should be added to please-don't-translate-these-things list.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Names of items, NPCs and monsters should be kept the same! Do as you wish, but I'm going to look over your work.

EDIT: good point
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

Created account for translating to spanish, waititng for acceptance :D
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Welcome TiaPeluca. You should know that Spanish translations is, at the moment, the less evolved one between the others thus your help is greatly wanted, at least by me.

Thanks for helping,
Ali-G
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

In my opinion all should be translated (including items, monsters, etc etc.) because it can help the non-english players to visualize which item/monster they are looking for and don't have to target all they see to check if that is the one needed. Yes, they can look in a translator for the meaning of the word... but we can make it easier for them.

For example:

"Red Apples are dropped by: "

in spanish

"Red apples (manzanas rojas) las tira:"

:oops: :oops:

PS: Ali-G, I'm having fun :) :)
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

About the monster & item names, no, we keep them in english at the moment. Since the names are kept in english in game, this wouldn't be hard for the player to know what we are talking about on Wiki. We'll see that later, when translations will get almost all done.
Piateluca wrote:PS: Ali-G, I'm having fun :) :)
Good. :) That's why I update wiki too! :D
KaksiTzeta
Newly Registered User

Post by KaksiTzeta »

I created an account to help the Italian translation...
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Account accepted. Thanks for translating without google translation of course.

Best regards,
Ali-G
knight
Novice
Novice

Post by knight »

is it necessary to translate wiki into indonesian? since indonesian TMW players are growing more and more, so i may could help a little. especially on the list of quest's article. that is my opinion, though.. :)
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

For that, we would need to talk to bjorn. I'll ask him asap. Since it seems there are more and more indonesian players (?), we'll add that language to the language bar.

Best regards,
Ali-G