Wiki: Development part

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Wiki: Development part

Post by Crush »

The "Guidelines" page is only about graphics. The title should reflect that more.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I like the general layout. Quite some of the linked pages are outdated, but I suppose that's another topic.
Some remarks:
- What does the GHP have to do with development?
- Some topics are linked twice, as e.g. the Bug Tracker.
- Under 'Client and Server Development' there are several links that were plans for manaserv development. Since manasource is a seperate project by now, I think it's confusing to have those topics linked on the wiki main page.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jenalya wrote:I like the general layout.
The layout is temporary until content is fixed. I'll try to keep an in "one sight" view as much as possible.
Quite some of the linked pages are outdated, but I suppose that's another topic.
it is in the topic, maybe some of you wrote pages I don't know, and outdated links or pages will be either updated, removed or archived.
What does the GHP have to do with development?
I don't know. I know that there is a more or less obscure GHP. Reading the forum I figured it was involved in strategic decisions concerning game and it's development. I may be right or wrong. What I am sure is that it has it's place in wiki: it's members, tasks, activity...
- Some topics are linked twice, as e.g. the Bug Tracker.
They will be removed when not necessary. Bug reporting was re-written to fit the various opinions I had about it though.
- Under 'Client and Server Development' there are several links that were plans for manaserv development. Since manasource is a seperate project by now, I think it's confusing to have those topics linked on the wiki main page.
There is a great confusion in my mind about the two projects. Their developments are separate and the client too. On an other side, there are still close relations. The client (?), some developers or administrators belong to both projects. All is not very clear in my mind about that and I wished, as many players, to have a better idea.
That is also true about some game concepts.

You will also notice that I reintroduced a geography link which interests both developers and players. There was a lot of work concerning the world development thus I wished the wiki could give an overview about it. But the actual information is a bit outdated and links to actual world seem necessary.

Nard
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:The "Guidelines" page is only about graphics. The title should reflect that more.
Could some one help me to write guidelines about scripting too? I am not enough inside to do it alone.
Refs to forum posts should be enough in a first step.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Nard wrote:Could some one help me to write guidelines about scripting too? I am not enough inside to do it alone.
Refs to forum posts should be enough in a first step.
There is a start on scripting guidelines on this wiki page: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _Standards I recently updated some of it, but it's still very incomplete. There are links to two forum topics in the header of that article, where scripting standards were discussed.
Nard wrote:There is a great confusion in my mind about the two projects. Their developments are separate and the client too. On an other side, there are still close relations. The client (?), some developers or administrators belong to both projects. All is not very clear in my mind about that and I wished, as many players, to have a better idea.
That is also true about some game concepts.
I agree it's confusing. Since I joined the project after manasource split from tmw, I also only know what I heard and saw. But regarding the wiki pages, I think the intention was to drop the tmwAthena based tmw and switch to the manaserv one. I think that's why there are so many wiki articles that doesn't explicitely mention that they are about the new manaserv, because at the point of time they were written, there wasn't a distinction yet. By now the projects are more independent from each other, and if those drafts are still relevant for manaserv development I assume/hope that they were carried over to the manasource issue tracker.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I think that *all* pages should be moved into a new namespace, and only the relevant one moved back into a Dev: or Player: namespace.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jenalya wrote: There is a start on scripting guidelines on this wiki page: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _Standards ...[/code]
My mistake, I forgot that though you told me before :oops:
I agree it's confusing.[...]By now the projects are more independent from each other, and if those drafts are still relevant for manaserv development I assume/hope that they were carried over to the manasource issue tracker.
[/quote]
Perhaps this topic would be worth it's own thread so that the founders and leaders can say their vision of the two projects and their relations. (more if we add "Source of Tales") This is especially important to give a clear and readable image to the exterior and give this (these) projects(s) a future.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

have been updated
Please control, especially the server setup part and git repositories. I added info about various GUIs (I hate command line). The Git tutorial part is still to be homogenized, according to the Kandiman's page http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Working_With_Git
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I want to take a pause here and get offtopic and say my thanks to Nard for cleaning up the Wiki and doing all this hard work.
I just want you to know that what you do is appriciated and I am not the only one who thinks that!
[20:53:13] <Ablu> Nard is doing great job on wiki
Please keep it up :)

Thanks!
yours tuX9th
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Updated wiki guidelines. It needs some work and some discussion but I think it's getting close to what works the best. I would like to see more done with templates and status.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.