Being aware of posting material under GPL on the forums

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Ces
Novice
Novice

Being aware of posting material under GPL on the forums

Post by Ces »

This has come up now and then, here and there.

I have seen at least one forum which uses the following system:
* Before reading a (sub)forum the rules for that (sub)forum will be shown and needs to be accepted. As EJlol pointed out the rules need to be simple and short, if some is even going to skim through it.
* When the rules are updated they will need to be accepted anew.

Another idea (which I do not think I have seen):
* When attaching a file, a license need to be chosen before it can be attached. Or, an option whether the attachment is submitted as game content or something.
* Text that clearly states that GPL (or freer?) needs to be accepted if the content is to be accepted into the game.
* Maybe automatically show the license alongside the attachment.

The agreement in the first system may easily be forgotten. If ever read. The second system doesn’t take into account off-forum hosting and isn’t suited for content that isn’t attached.

Also a text similar to something like “By submitting this post you agree that its contents are published under terms of the GFDL. In addition you also agree that your attachment(s) are posted under the terms of the GPL.” could be shown on the posting page.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Being aware of posting material under GPL on the forums

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Ces wrote:GPL (or freer?)
GPL compatible.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Re: Being aware of posting material under GPL on the forums

Post by Ces »

I just looked for the forums I remembered using that per-subforum-rule feature. I found one site, but sadly my memory failed me, they are using vBulletin boards (proprietary evil stuff) rather than phpBB (much nicer stuff). But I would not be astonished to learn someone has made a similar mod for phpBB.