Gmail Contact

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Sushi
Peon
Peon

Gmail Contact

Post by Sushi »

I think that there should be the ability to put your Gmail adress on the contact page.
Player Names:
[i]Sushi_The_Great;Level: 36[/i]
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Re: Gmail Contact

Post by Black Don »

Sushi wrote:I think that there should be the ability to put your Gmail adress on the contact page.
Putting your E-mail address in an open forum is a good way to get tons of unsolicited Spam.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Sushi
Peon
Peon

Post by Sushi »

I am not going to put my e-mail, but maybe some other players want to.
Player Names:
[i]Sushi_The_Great;Level: 36[/i]
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Why only your GMail address and not any other email address? What's so special about GMail?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I've deliberately tested the GMail spam filtering by making it spam-prone for years and it works unbelievably well.
This message used to be meaningful.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

yeah, gmail rules.

this is a pro google thread now. yay google!

but why would you want to put your email into the forums? you've got normal posts, private messages and if you really need email just enable "users can contact me per mail" in your profile board preferences... oO
InspectorShameless
Novice
Novice

Post by InspectorShameless »

OOOOOoooo........ Mattttt !!!!!! you're back :P

~ I missed you badly :oops: was it the same for you ?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Out of the other viable options out there, I'd actually prefer Google to be the dystopian omnipresent corporation.
This message used to be meaningful.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

I was talking about this with someone recently. Right now Google monitor everything you search for, and all your emails if you use Gmail, and your documents if you use Google Docs. If you were to use the new Chrome OS you would basically be giving them access to any data you digitise including personal details about yourself. I know Google tend to be fairly responsible with the way they handle information, but this still fills me with Orwellian paranoia; it's just too much power for one corporation to have. (Not to mention the whole Google books thing - my dad is a writer so I'm particularly aware of the effect it's having on the industry).

[/offtopic rant]
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

feline monstrosity wrote:(Not to mention the whole Google books thing - my dad is a writer so I'm particularly aware of the effect it's having on the industry).
The effect is quite positive, in my opinion. Google books helps the consumers to find out which book has the information they need but they still have to buy the book to obtain the information because Google Books does not allow access to the complete text unless the book is in the public domain.

I don't understand why authors and publishers are so afraid of this technology which could be very beneficial for their sales and their customer satisfaction. Maybe it's that they just don't understand what it can and can't do and so they believe that their complete content is given away for free which is just not the case.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Its not to do with the technology or the access, it's to do with who holds the right to the text and the fact that it's an opt-out scheme rather than opt-in. Also the fact that there is a lot of literature by people who aren't alive and Google are going to make a lot of money from them, which is morally questionable.
~Feline Monstrosity
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

feline monstrosity wrote:Also the fact that there is a lot of literature by people who aren't alive and Google are going to make a lot of money from them, which is morally questionable.
Versus others making money from them? Even if a text or piece of music is in public domain, you can change the printing, etc, and claim a fresh copyright on it.
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

GMail is the best but we should also have skype. :mrgreen:
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

drewtoma wrote:GMail is the best but we should also have skype. :mrgreen:
Yeah, that would be totally awesome.
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

How about we don't add any of them and add an other and users can specify in a text box what it is. Everyone is happy. :mrgreen: