TMW Summer Meeting -- 9th july 8pm GMT

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

TMW Summer Meeting -- 9th july 8pm GMT

Post by Reid »

We talked about doing a meeting to point out "what is the current situation of TMW, what should we do and how".

I've been pretty busy lately with IRL work, but things might apparently go better pretty soon.
I wanted to wait to be sure of a date to be back here before to announce anything, but there is a rather understandable desire from the community for clarification and update on the current status of the project.

I am proposing Sunday 9th July, around 20 GMT.
If you can not be there remember that a resume will be uploaded here on the forum, although, this is not a static date, feel free to propose another one!

Also, I understand that the NULL communication we set was bad but understand that it was not wished.
I said that I would remain active on the forum until further notice, which I am, sadly all I do is banning people and removing flame posts recently :) .

Remember: Nobody is employed by TMW here, we are all doing this on our free time and dealing with trolls and flame posts is nothing but pleasant, even more when it consumes my only free time that I can allocate!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: TMW Summer Meeting

Post by WildX »

I will be there. You said everything that needed to be said, I will just add that yes, the bills are being paid. For some strange reason there seems to have been a payment going through for a 6-month renweal instead of the usual monthly one. I'm not sure why this happened, but I guess it makes sense to just let it run until expiration (November 2017). I will post a treasurer summary soon.

TMW Team member

Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

this payment, because no one payed bills and server was shutdown. after wushin payed for 6 months...
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I was hoping it would run for a few extra days, that week (last week of May) I was being kicked out of my flat and had to move to a new place. Thanks for handling the situation quickly. I went back to pay as soon as I could but the 6-month renweal had already started.

TMW Team member

Amarynthus
Novice
Novice

Post by Amarynthus »

Reid wrote:Also, I understand that the NULL communication we set was bad but understand that it was not wished.
I said that I would remain active on the forum until further notice, which I am, sadly all I do is banning people and removing flame posts recently :) .
I suspect the decay of the forums goes hand in hand with the decay of the community as a whole. I expressed concern to Gumi quite some time ago that the big fanfair over the "new" server before the new server was ready was dangerous: it discouraged many active players from working on building their chars and completing quests on the existing server, yet they didn't have anywhere else to go. So people stopped logging in - or at least logged in less and less just waiting to see when the new game would be viable.

I was worried this halting of the community momentum would leave nothing left of the player community by the time the new game was actually ready - and that's when it sounded like the new game might be ready within months - that was almost a year ago.

I don't mean this as a critique ... well, ok I do, but not as a snarky one - I love this game and this community, but I'm saddened by what I see ever time I log in now. I generally just log in, look around a bit, sigh, and leave. Our community is on life-support (that may even be optimistic). Working on the software is great - but efforts need to be put in to keeping the community going otherwise there will be no one left to use that software when it is ready.

I don't know what exactly can should be done to maintain the community - but something is needed. And it need not be elaborate. We don't need fancy events with rare-item give aways, we just need activity. I actually suspect there may are enough players still around to keep a healthy community, but I think we are often not on at the same time, so from each of our individual perspectives it can feel a bit hopeless. Perhaps we just need some coordination: getting many of the current players on at the same time may do it.

Perhaps our guilds (CRC, MAF, anyone else) can get back to filling their role: we can have scheduled times for some quest or battle (a few rounds of Cindy or Candor) and as long as those are announced ahead of time, players can plan to come online and join in. Hopefully this will get some of the momentum back so that players come online and have fun, rather than come online only to lose hope.
Reid wrote:I am proposing Sunday 9th July, around 20 GMT.
If you can not be there remember that a resume will be uploaded here on the forum, although, this is not a static date, feel free to propose another one!
Great! This is in game on the "old" server, right? And you mean 20 as in 8PM GMT/server-time right?

After that meeting/discussion/whatever, I'll host a few Candors or Cindy battles ... or Crypt battles if people prefer. Or if for any reason that meeting doesn't happen, lets all still meet up around Hurns at that time for some battles.

EDIT: and don't be discouraged by forum trolls who can't even seem to spell an anonymous name correctly.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

@Amarynthus: you are right in many points, we assumed that we could fusion most essential stuff within months but reality did not follow. :?

I believe what we have to do now is to speed up the fusion, even if it doesn't suit what we planned in the first time. We will discuss all of this then, I have some ideas to fix things up.
And yes I meant 8pm GMT.

As to forum trolls, I don't take seriously comments from people hiding behind tor and a fake mail. I would just like to invest that time into something more creative than pressing the ban button. :)
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I do believe we will settle for this date then, let's see you at 8pm GMT in game!
-- Ford Prefect
chaychay
Peon
Peon

Re: TMW Summer Meeting -- 9th july 8pm GMT

Post by chaychay »

Reid wrote:...
If you can not be there remember that a resume will be uploaded here on the forum ...
Not urging anyone, just wondering if these can be uploaded by someone? I'm curious and the meeting is being (passively, with merge-purpose-gfx) referenced on the forums.

gn
chay
skozlojops
Peon
Peon

Post by skozlojops »

i just think this must be there https://pastebin.com/sB7fekRy
ty for some who were
Tirifto
Novice
Novice

Post by Tirifto »

Thank skozlojops for the logs! Here's an extract of the important things written during the meeting. (I removed noise such as funny comments and unresolved or unrelated discussions.)
Spoiler:
[20:08] Reid: the development of the merge hasn't progressed for some weeks/months now
[20:09] WildX: To be fair we had some good activity this past Autumn
[20:09] Reid: although, I will push some progress of the merge to obtain a good half of tmw ported into the revolt server
[20:10] Reid: I don't plan to port things as properly as we wanted, but at least we will have a basic version that we will be able to rework and fix the way we want
[20:10] Reid: so the redo of hurnscald won't happen until we have a ported version of tmw into revolt
[20:11] Reid: I won't get into technical talks but we will port graphism, basic gameplay and memorable quests as is
[20:12] Reid: I understand that some players doesn't like to loose all of their progress into that new server, so I would like to reopen some talks about the port of some player's progress throughout the new server
[20:12] Reid: don't dream, you won't keep your 100 funky hats, but I'm talking about levels and some progress items/points
[20:13] Reid: although, I would better like to work on a dirty merged mess rather than nothing at all or in legacy only
[20:13] Reid: it is still on the table because the merge is still not done and tmw is highly loosing players, that is why
[20:14] Reid: nothing is decided, these things will be voted and decided by you, in function of your results we will see what is doable and what is not
[20:15] Reid: basic gameplay is present and working
[20:16] Reid: now we have to fill the game with more content from this tmw, thus we can work on extending in quality after
[20:16] Reid: if we only want quality we will just fail as much as in evol
[20:16] Reid: if anybody has a better idea of how to manage all of this I'm pleased to listen to it :) Althogh our time is limited and many of us saw the number of player dropping over months
[20:17] Reid: so stay realistic
[20:17] Amarynthus: Reid, many of us do not know the line between realistic and unrealistic as we don't tinker with the server code.
[20:18] Reid: I will try to explain what is realist and what is not realist in the forum thread
[20:18] Reid: but there are some basic knowledge that are known from most, if you port all of the economic and balance fail into the new project, it won't permit us to work on a good quality economy
[20:19] Gumi: hurnscald is basically entirely rewritten, it really just needs a map
[20:19] Reid: milestone remains the same, we port hurns and tulim, we just lower our standard in profit to have something concret
[20:19] Reid: and by lowering our standards we will be able to have hurns pretty fastly into the new server
[20:20] Reid: tiles are present, we even have most of the new tilesets needed for the redo of hurns and other places, we just don't have the time to remap these parts
[20:20] Reid: so let's not remap these parts for now, those that have time will do it once we have something to show
[20:21] WildX: Old Tulim > New Tulim
[20:22] Gumi: wildx has a point, do we want to port the old tulim map or the current one?
[20:22] WildX: No dragons no fairies no orcs, I banned all cliche fantasy elements
[20:25] Reid: anyway, we will just port what is interesting from this version of tmw into the new server, for changes like putting the old tulim instead of the new tulim we will do it after
[20:25] WildX: This server will remain online for as long as it is possible, which isn't forever
[20:25] Reid: the main goal is to have something somewhere where players can play without the fear of a crash
[20:27] Nernst: What is the LTS server?
[20:27] Nernst: Or, the future server?
[20:27] Reid: the future server is the revolt server, currently being dev on the test server
[20:28] Gumi: most likely the legacy evol server will be renamed into The Mana World and the legacy tmw server will be renamed The Mana World Legacy
[20:28] WildX: Nobody is taking this server down to promote the new one. If this server goes down it's because it's so broken we can't repair it.
There was also a proposal to use construction cones to limit access to unfinished areas. Self-explanatory thread is here.
Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

skozlojops wrote:i just think this must be there https://pastebin.com/sB7fekRy
ty for some who were
Thanks for the links, skozlojops and Tirifto. Sorry I wasn't there, and normally can't be due to my location in this little planet. I will comment on the post some time after reading the rest of these points in this thread.

...edit...er, so apparently, this was the second-last post, so I've read them all.lol

I am concerned regarding the little bit I can put in, and also I am lost as to where I am meant to be as a player. It seems that I should be keeping my char on the current server (yes?), and waiting for the change to happen, and one day, it will be the new server. Is this correct?

Also, I maintain my ability to help with the wiki, but I am lost with where to start regarding the new game. I don't have the ability to practice or look at the source to work out what is meant to happen. I will only be helpful really when ingame, due to my lack of experience in this part. I am happy to play around on the old wiki, but even there, there are major limits to what can be done due to this time barrier, whereas I live in Australia, as well as format of templates etc.

I also think the barriers are a good idea, as they were many years back when I first came on game, preventing the North Tulimshar entry, and the East Tuli ones (if my memory serves me right).
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Players don't really have to do much, they can continue playing on the Legacy server and when it is ready they will have access to the new server, with an account already reserved for them with their name. At this point they can start using the new account if they wish to do so.

You can see some of the things that will be in the new server by visiting the test server.

TMW Team member

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

Okay, thanks for the info.