Dear TMW Community.

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
tsukinokage
Peon
Peon

Re: Dear TMW Community.

Post by tsukinokage »

What a mad world! Platyna, I know your feeling, and I also believe it's impossible for you to contribute to this project if the DNS is not set back into your server. But, I believe you can't change anything by posting again and again, almost stating the same thing. This drama happend a few days now, the situation never get changed, and it won't change if you keep on behave like this. I believe the fact is that most players don't care much about who controls the game, but they only care about whether they can still play this game, with updates, and with less lag. And also, seems the person who can really settle these things down don't want to involved too much in these matters. So your stating again and again just makes more and more players think you are but only upset (and maybe they also think you're mad) (I'm not among these players of course, since I'm not a developer for this game, and also I'm almost no longer a real player of this game for quit a while, before the move).

So, my suggestion is that you first calm down, and think about what you want to achive and how you can achive your goal. I don't know much about either you or o11c, and can't blame anyone of you. But regarding this matter, o11c is of course more calm then you (of course with good reasons, since he is on the advantageous site). Since I don't think you can make the DNS point back to your server, I believe that someone's suggestion of making a new ManaServ based game is a good idea for you to consider.

Of course you can ignore my suggestions and keep on arguing with the community that the move is wrong.

Anyway, hope the mana world will not become a mad world for ever, and good wishes to everyone.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Code: Select all

[b]Mutiny:[/b] a conspiracy among members of a group of similarly situated individuals to openly oppose, change or overthrow an authority to which they are subject.
Yip... that's what happened. For better or for worse. It had to. It had to like it did. But why bother covering up that Platyna was not 'properly notified'? In fact... why would you notify her at all beforehand? There is no need to hide that it was done swiftly and sneakily, because it was done to protect the work of others and the the time players have put into the game. I have heard Platyna refer to developers as being her's and she has even threatened to close the server a few times... all that in Global Announcements, but no one who put so much time and energy into this game should be discarded so easily either. Should a new government not set a new precedence? Why was she kicked from the GHP altogether rather than letting her leave on her own? She, at least, deserves an honourable discharge and a proper send off if she wishes to still leave. Besides, you guys aren't battling for power, you're battling for more burden, as all volounteer jobs are.
Well that's my 2 cents worth, but here in Canada, the penny is now, no more. I would say that's my nickel's worth, but we're rounding down here... so here's my 0 cents worth? Damn it! Foiled again! :evil:

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

I believe the fact is that most players don't care much about who controls the game, but they only care about whether they can still play this game, with updates, and with less lag
x2!!
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

The only people I "throw dirt" on are those who did that disgusting take over also, if you didn't notice the dirt is thrown on me on so called "in game meetings".

ElvenProgrammer and Bjorn had no right to just pop up into the project they were inactive in since years and with one gesture impair good balance of forces we had here.

Anyway, a person who became a project admin that way will never be respected.

Most of the players agrees with above and they have expressed it, but they were blatantly ignored.

To summarize:
1. My work as a community admin was completely independent of their work.
2. They (o11c etc.) had all the possible tools and permissions neccessary for them to work for the game.
3. They did such take over just to gain power over the community I refused to give them, because it wouldn't be good for the project.

Also, don't bring up the lag issue again because it was already explained that this wasn't a fault of hosting.

Regards.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

With recent events, i found this rather funny :
Crush wrote:TMW is and always was a meritocracy. [...]
I don't see a reason why those who do not contribute themselves should have the power to reject the work of those who do.
Personnally, i understand that, in our recent context, Platyna merits what happened ?
Maybe you consider her work isn't enough, since she's rather busy anyway ?
The most funny point, in my opinion, is that everyone seem to have forgotten this : If Platyna weren't here during all the years she hosted, what would be the status of this project ?

I won't develop my thoughts a lot. I've not only that do to, and i'm also rather busy lately.
Though, i consider it as a real shame that she hasn't been informed of that disgusting move.

As for now i'm not often in game, i'm not the one who played on the new server the most, but i've at least tried Cindy, Candor and Graveyard for some hours, because that was there i had much lags.
The result is that this supposed "reducing lag" new server changes nothing, I've experienced exactly the same lags, there were no more, but also no less.

Also, some of you have argued that the email you sent her have been lost... Seriously, don't take us as more idiot we are ! How can, in 2013, an email be lost ? I really wonder ! If your attention would have really been to warn her about the move, you would have at least sent an aknowledgement request with your email, and you would have clearly known if she had read or not the message !
As auto-proclamed "full-rights admins" (to stay correct), you shouldn't have forgotten do to it, epsecially for such highly influent decision. And if you haven't do it, don't say you tried to warn her huh ?

Well, that's just a hateful way to thanks somebody who contributed that much for the game, or at least for it's community. You can easily wipe a Chocolate Cupcake and throw it, but that's something that shouldn't be done with a living person, especially when that person has made things you'll probably not be able to make again.

Also, yeah, i don't know Platyna that much, i should even say that i don't know her at all. I've only seen her in game sometimes and read some of her posts on the forum. So yes, she might appear as not so friendly, and mostly as a "dictator" for some people or players as she might seem to mostly enforce rules.
Though, maybe the definition differs according to your culture or your country, but isn't what she did the role of an administrator ?
An administrator isn't supposed to be well known, most of the time you can't even access him. He isn't supposed to make events, to give the players items or i don't know what else... He's supposed to make things turn good, but not to cajole people.

And removing her rights without telling her... Sure that you don't need her now, but when i see that some people of GHP still have rights after haven't posted or haven't been seen for years... That's still disgusting.

So yes, to me also, people who made this server move are powergreedy persons. What's the problem with you ? To me, you changed nothing except that you took the risk to host the server at a paying site or something like that as i've understood.
What's the problem ? You aren't good enough in real life to be able to get the amount of power you need to survive ? Then change your profile picture with some ugly leech, that would correspond you more.

Well, i don't really care about your need of power or your need of everything. Actually the main thing that disgusts me is the way you rendered thanks for Platyna's work. This is usually shown by non-human people, acting like machines, or by dictators, which is rather the same in my opinion.
If you really wanted power, or at least if you really wanted to be proud of your work, then you could have tried to do your own server, rather than stealing it.

Well, i warn that i'm certainly not the most aware person of the situation. Maybe some things i've said are a bit harsh, or maybe they're false, as i can't know everything about the story. But the thing that's clear to me is that you're somewhat really odious with your need or power, and with your way to thank people. I won't come back on my words, even if i might regret their consequences.

I won't write more nor answer since, for now, i haven't the time for it.
I'm sorry if i've made spelling mistakes or i don't know which orthograph mistakes that could discredit my words, but i'm not an english native speaker.

Thanks Platyna for all you did, i'm sure some persons won't forget you, even if they don't know you that much.

Kazenawa
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

0x0BAL wrote:
Nard wrote:
*Delasia* wrote: Platyna, PROVE you are NOT AFRAID of what people are saying,
PROVE, you are what you say YOU are,
PROVE you are the better choice.
*Delasia* prove that you are http://forums.themanaworld.org/memberli ... ile&u=4802 and not a stupid troll.
did you loose your password?
Why would she try to be a troll?
She knows enough about what happened to her, and if she wants she will prove it.
For the simple good reason that *Delasia* (user 17099, Newly Registered User, Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 am, Posts: 6) is not the same user as: Delasia (user 4802, Novice, Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:54 am Posts: 156, Last post: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 85#p132085 in this topic )
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
GiGi
Peon
Peon

Post by GiGi »

*applauds Delasia* *applauds crazyk8e* *applauds Tasisia* *applauds Hrvoje*

I'm so impressed at the wisdom and reasoning of SOME of my fellow ManaWorld-ians. Some not all.

Can anyone else guess who will be the last to become bored of this topic? I can! :lol:
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

delasia has been confirmed as the original

BC
sexy red bearded GM
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

"Can we all get along?" ~ Rodney King

Maybe all of you should view this as an opportunity instead of a bad thing. Learn from your mistakes. Show some humility. Respect each others ideas, opinions, and mannerisms and agree to disagree without all of the personal attacks.

1) Reinstate Platnya, this was a horrible decision in mine and many other players eyes. Some people are afraid to voice their opinions on this because of the "impending new rules" that the 'new management team' will be writing.

2) Separation of powers from GM's and DEV's is indeed necessary. No need to go into details, but a current dev has lambasted many of us regarding constructive criticism of their work. Had they had the power to ban us, I suspect they (rashly) would have done so in the heat of the moment.

3) Online games can run on multiple servers (for one game). Separation of maps and monsters on 2 separate servers could greatly improve the game experience. I will not claim to have enough knowledge to say wether or not the game kernel has the ability to do this, but have seen this in other games (PlaneShift is one example and I am sure the devs there would be happy to glean information on this subject if you would like to pursue it). Otherwise, Platnya has a brand new system that was paid for by TMW community, and it is sheer stubbornness to pay for a server if we have one that is 100% free at our disposal.

4) Sounds like player involvement is at a current high regarding this subject. And yet I have never once seen an in-game message to look for new DEVS. Do it! Don't assume that everyone reads these Forums. My over/under betting line it that 75% of all TMW players have never even opened these Forums once, let alone registered here. You need new DEVS, that topic is obviously agreed upon, so recruit them now while interest levels are at an all-time high.

5) Take a deep breath. Count to 10. Then respond.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

LordDune, those players who are afraid to state their opinions on public (I am aware that there are many), should write to ElvenProgrammer and Bjorn - they rather will not ban anyone for expressing their opinion.

And indeed having a new machine, that was bought by TMW and my personal money that will now rot or just serve for something else is simply ridiculous situation and waste of resources - just to fullfill some person power crave (as you don't have to be a host, or a community admin or a GM to write code and create content for the game).

Regards.
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

I have no idea who most of these people which post here are. Probably some more noobs who don't know what they are talking about.

Removing Platyna was a great idea. She banned me numerous times for botting, spamming the forum, insulting people and other stuff like that. We can't have this kind of behaviour from people in charge. It's good someone took the matter into their own hands and did something about it.

Now there is no more lag on the new server, actually it works so well that i get negative ping ( -80ms). I often arrive in places where I want to go before arriving there (I know, it's weird).

Thank you very much for doing what's right!
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!
blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Post by blackrazor »

It seems to me that Platyna has been an important pillar to the game for the past 8+ years, not only as a reliable host, but also as a firm and guiding administrator. Her machine and network probably remain the most reliable solution for TMW's hosting needs, and her contribution to the community, in many ways, is undeniable.

In the same vein, the TMWC (formerly GHP) has been instrumental in the content creation, enforcement, and overall improvement, running, and maintenance of the game.

Can't both sides realize that without the contribution of both entities, there probably would be no TMW over which to fight by 2013?

Whatever past problems in communication and leverage may have existed, it seems clear that the leverage is vastly changed now, and the channels of communication are wide open. Now seems an opportune time to come together for the long-term common good of the game and its community.

One cannot say "I no longer need you." The harsh truth is that you both probably need each other for the game and community to get through this optimally, long-term. And besides, we don't ditch people, just because we no longer need them, or find them difficult. The developers have often said on these forums, that in spite of the difficulties in getting along that sometimes crop up, that one of the most valued traits is the ability to keep working together constructively in spite of those differences and to keep valuing the contributions of fellow developers, even if personal differences exist.

Now, I hope, would be the ultimate time to put all these good intentions to practice, and to restore the unity of the game, under a power structure that everyone can live with. Make a constitution (most organizations have them) to govern the rules on future changes to data-file access and the impeachment / demotion of top admins (with save-file access), so that you can have orderly lawful transitions in the future, if need be.

As for the lag, if it is packet related, or mainly the product of other eAthena issues, I have absolute confidence that if Frost, o11c, and Platyna work together, it can and will be most certainly fixed, irrespective of which machine is hosting. I just feel that Platyna's machine is best, since it was community funded (to the best of my knowledge, partially at least), already paid for, and a real machine -- not virtual server.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

blackrazor wrote:It seems to me that Platyna has been an important pillar to the game for the past 8+ years, not only as a reliable host, but also as a firm and guiding administrator. Her machine and network probably remain the most reliable solution for TMW's hosting needs, and her contribution to the community, in many ways, is undeniable.

In the same vein, the TMWC (formerly GHP) has been instrumental in the content creation, enforcement, and overall improvement, running, and maintenance of the game.

Can't both sides realize that without the contribution of both entities, there probably would be no TMW over which to fight by 2013?

Whatever past problems in communication and leverage may have existed, it seems clear that the leverage is vastly changed now, and the channels of communication are wide open. Now seems an opportune time to come together for the long-term common good of the game and its community.

One cannot say "I no longer need you." The harsh truth is that you both probably need each other for the game and community to get through this optimally, long-term. And besides, we don't ditch people, just because we no longer need them, or find them difficult. The developers have often said on these forums, that in spite of the difficulties in getting along that sometimes crop up, that one of the most valued traits is the ability to keep working together constructively in spite of those differences and to keep valuing the contributions of fellow developers, even if personal differences exist.

Now, I hope, would be the ultimate time to put all these good intentions to practice, and to restore the unity of the game, under a power structure that everyone can live with. Make a constitution (most organizations have them) to govern the rules on future changes to data-file access and the impeachment / demotion of top admins (with save-file access), so that you can have orderly lawful transitions in the future, if need be.

As for the lag, if it is packet related, or mainly the product of other eAthena issues, I have absolute confidence that if Frost, o11c, and Platyna work together, it can and will be most certainly fixed, irrespective of which machine is hosting. I just feel that Platyna's machine is best, since it was community funded (to the best of my knowledge, partially at least), already paid for, and a real machine -- not virtual server.
100% agreed with this post. Going from absolute to constitutional monarchy is the best solution for everyone at this point. You either split the community or try to make both sides happy as best as you can.

TMW Team member

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

90% for me :D
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

So, we will now see if the voice of community matters at all.

If Elven changes the DNS back, I will move TMW to a temporary but separate machine, and on about april/may I will travel to the data center to install a new machine (HP proliant server) and move TMW there.

Here are the parameters of the new server (about 1/3 of the costs comes from TMW community, the rest comes from my Wielkopolska Voivode Scientific Scholarship, I have won this year):
CPU 2x Intel® Xeon® QuadCore E5450 (12M Cache, 3,0GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
RAM 16 GB RAM DDR2 PC2-5300F FB 667Mhz
HDD 2x 73GB SAS 2,5" 10k
CASE Rack 1U 19"
ETH: 1GbE
Raid RAID Smart Array P400i 256MB Raid 0,1,5,10
Well, I must proudly say it is Proliant DL360 one of the best (if not the best) server platforms that were ever produced, not some supermicro dedic, also there is my name on the invoice.

Regards.