Idea: Rare mob spawning all over TMW

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Idea: Rare mob spawning all over TMW

Post by Cassy »

I don't know if this is possible:

I like the idea of having a mob, that can respawn everywhere in TMW (except for places like candor of course).
There should only be a single one of this mob, so it stays very rare.
It should drop an item with a 100% drop chance.
This item should be something special then, like a good equipment or something you need for a new quest.

It's like hide and seek without hints, but with a good price.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Idea: Rare mob spawning all over TMW

Post by tux9th »

ha!!!
I like this idea. it is similar to what we had in Diablo II LoD where uber Diablo spawned very rarely.

I would be in favor of this! We could maybe use MrGrey's teddy mob for that. what item to drop I am not sure.

This could be scripted with a simple mobspawner which every 5 minutes calculates where and if to spawn the boss.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Can't find that teddy mob, can you give me a link for it?

Btw this mob should be easy to kill.
It wouldn't be funny for newbies when it respawns in the Tutorial area (or other beginner maps) and the mob kills them :D
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

tux9th wrote:This could be scripted with a simple mobspawner which every 5 minutes calculates where and if to spawn the boss.
Hm, I don't think a timer is needed, but the spawning of the next mob could be triggered in the onDeath event of the last one.
Cassy wrote:Btw this mob should be easy to kill.
It wouldn't be funny for newbies when it respawns in the Tutorial area (or other beginner maps) and the mob kills them
I think the mob should be peaceful, have very weak attack, but fairly high hp. Similiar to the gms on the Kill-the-GM events. :wink:
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

I think this is a rather good idea, it could have a medium-length respawn timer and make for a really fun hunt. Lovely idea. And just wait if it's added people can start legends about the mob name "Hey you guess aren't going to believe this, I SAW A/an [mob name]!!!".

--BBB
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Lota
Peon
Peon

Post by Lota »

Personnaly, I'd prefer a very strong boss to a small one. It could be seen as a special quest for high-level players, and when it respawn, everybody in Hurnscald go fight it and "destroy" it until it respawn some times after. The boss would give a lot of xp to all the fighters, and maybe some Boss Points to the one who finished it (even if we still have no idea about the utility of Boss Points).
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Lota wrote:Personnaly, I'd prefer a very strong boss to a small one. It could be seen as a special quest for high-level players, and when it respawn, everybody in Hurnscald go fight it and "destroy" it until it respawn some times after. The boss would give a lot of xp to all the fighters, and maybe some Boss Points to the one who finished it (even if we still have no idea about the utility of Boss Points).
How about taking this as a separate idea?
Cause I also like this one ;)

And how about making this mob spawn at a specific area, maybe a place in a cave (we got sooo huge caves where nearly no one goes to!) and at a specific time?
I'm thinking of 6:00, 12:00, 18:00 and 24:00, four times a day.
It shouldn't be too often, to make it rare and popular and to avoid grinding.
The above mentioned times should also avoid, that people from a certain time zone and maybe people with different real life (example: people that work at night) are never online when the mob spawns.
Main characters:

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The times should be randomized so that people don't camp for it.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Crush wrote:The times should be randomized so that people don't camp for it.
Actually this is exactly what I like about it... meeting some people there and fight the mob together, but on a second thought, making the time random could also be nice, yeah.
Main characters:

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Cassy wrote:
Actually this is exactly what I like about it... meeting some people there and fight the mob together
I don't know... when it has a very good drop, only one person can get it. When there are always 20 people camping for it and only one person gets lucky, it could cause quite a lot of envy. Especially considering that some character builds have a much better chance to pick it up than others.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Crush wrote:
Cassy wrote:
Actually this is exactly what I like about it... meeting some people there and fight the mob together
I don't know... when it has a very good drop, only one person can get it. When there are always 20 people camping for it and only one person gets lucky, it could cause quite a lot of envy. Especially considering that some character builds have a much better chance to pick it up than others.
Having it spawn on a random map at a random location everytime would prevent camping
sexy red bearded GM
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Maybe a misunderstanding?
I was referring to my post about two different mobs.
-> One that's easy to kill and can spawn everywhere randomly, 100% drop chance
-> And one, that's boss like, tough to kill (only by a group of people - not a single person) and spawns on a certain map only a few times (random or like every 6 hours) a day, no drops but good EXP
Main characters:

Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

I think this idea is viable as a timed event, but not as permanent feature.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

As I pointed out before I think it should be similar to Diablo 2 LoD Uber Diablo spawn.
IMO it should be a Bossmob that spawns randomly on a random map throughout the whole world.

This mob shouldn't spawn regularly like once a day or so but completely random with a max time yet to be discussed. I would suggest at least every 15 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQG26ukmUI

this is how it is in Diablo 2 for those who never played it. There is a global message in the game saying "Diablo walks the earth". something similar could be used for this event as well a global message and then everyone has to look for the mob.

greets
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

If the respawn timer is in multiples of a whole day, then the appearances will be spread out according to when people play the most.

However, this ignores restarts. Maybe we should do some testing with how long it *does* take players to find it? Although, I guess instead of spawning it at server start we could spawn it in d86400 seconds ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.