Future pets support

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Knight
Knight

Future pets support

Post by 4144 »

In development version of manaplus I add support for client side only pets.
This mean dont need any server changes, need only change client data files to add pets.
For activate pet need equip specially configured item. And all other players will see your pet.

Here is example with wolf as pet: http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus/demo/pet.avi
And here snake: http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus/demo/pet2.avi

For now pet can follow player. Configurable speed, think time, position where pet prefer "sit" against owner, how pet should be rotated etc.
Pet can respawn in owner position if distance to owner very big.

Is pets like this need for TMW?

Update: another video with multiply pets http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus/demo/pet3.webm

Update2: now pets added with pets mod in version 1.4.1.18

Pets in mod:

Dark Blue Cotton Shorts - snake
Green Wizard Hat - wolf
Funky Hat - penguin
Mouboo Head - mouboo
Yeti Mask - yeti
Pinkie Hat - pinkie
Leather Trousers - fluffy
Last edited by 4144 on 19 Jan 2014, 19:58, edited 3 times in total.
Gatekeeper
Peon
Peon

Re: Future pets support

Post by Gatekeeper »

Very cool :alt-3:

I hope the Pet can level up and hunt too.
Wenn Ich die Welt in Händen tragen könnte, Ich würde Sie zerquetschen ;)
Oder Gar nicht mehr über sowas nachdenken.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Gatekeeper wrote:Very cool :alt-3:

I hope the Pet can level up and hunt too.
sadly no, for this need server side support.
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

Land of Fire has pets on it, a cat, dog, rat and a fairy, each with their own unique ability. They come in very handy all the time. It would be awesome to have pets in both Evol and TMW and to have possibly a wolf or snake pet,,even cooler 8)
mas886
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mas886 »

I think that the best pet system is the LOF one, i don't know why it isn't implemented in TMW, it's very cool to have pets! I want a black cat!
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

What is LOF's pet system? Same than TMW-br? (a static sprite which is attached to the player and can walk on and in walls)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

Reid wrote:What is LOF's pet system? Same than TMW-br? (a static sprite which is attached to the player and can walk on and in walls)
From what i heard a while back, i think it was implemented from the Brazil server, i am not 100% certain though, but you can PM Pirho or KeeKeeKat through the Land of Fire forum or use the IRC channel. I tried to go into the forum now, but the site and game seems to be down at the moment :(
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

ozthokk wrote:
Reid wrote:What is LOF's pet system? Same than TMW-br? (a static sprite which is attached to the player and can walk on and in walls)
From what i heard a while back, i think it was implemented from the Brazil server, i am not 100% certain though, but you can PM Pirho or KeeKeeKat through the Land of Fire forum or use the IRC channel. I tried to go into the forum now, but the site and game seems to be down at the moment :(
anyway land of fire will use this new pets support from manaplus.
brasilian server using static item animation, this is not pets but some additional animation only.
try see video and you will undestand.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Nice! I had been digging around upstream eAthena's pet support recently (and the Peco Peco mounts, and the homun), and let out a sigh because a lot of it is UI triggered, and I doubt I'd have the effort to go messing around with it. :lol:
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

A kind of Pet exists on German TMW, with some animation. However it is used mostly lake a charm and occupies a slot in equipment.
4144's release is far better looking!
The bad is that the pet should be banned from TMW for autofollow :mrgreen:
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Zopar
Peon
Peon

Post by Zopar »

Yes! I always wanted a wolf pet after seeing them in Nivalis. It would be cool if you could use them to help fight. I always thought fish and things in the ponds would be nice to. Seen any fish jumping in the ponds lately? Kidding :lol:
Fewer things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
- Mark Twain
thusmark
Peon
Peon

Post by thusmark »

Wow, would be real fun to have a pet. Maybe we could have different classes of pets, ones which fight and ones which can be used to increase inventory slots. But that's only possible if this thing gets sever-side support.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Here pets example clientdata files: http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus ... lientdata/
Files from this directory can be copied into clientdata dir or into local dir inside update server dir.

It add wolf for pet Green Wizard Hat
and snake for Dark Blue Cotton Shorts
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

In new ManaPlus version I adding support for mods and muliply pets. And creating pets mod.

Here new demo video with pets mod: http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus/demo/pet3.webm
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

Downloaded and watched your examples. Autonomous pets are vast improvement to the current "attached to hip" style of pets on German & Land of Fire servers. Your client just keeps to continue to increase players game play experience.

As far as server side support, if existing sprite sheets of pets on the other servers (dog, cats, fairies, may be others I'm forgetting), were used to add them as regular mobs (but just not used in maps that way), they could be used as pets using your system, hopefully.

Call to cat people (even though I am not one of you. I have a pet dog on the German server, and had a pet fairy on Land of Fire, before I lost/forgot my username and password for LOF :mrgreen: : Make noise for pets :P Image your manaling with his/her own pet cat 8)
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99