Poll about changes on the server

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

"The more things change... 2014-04-16 Attention Major Release" change must be deleted.

Yes. I don't want developers to change old what works. They shouldn't touch old maps and stones on those maps and the way how stones worked.
31%
No. I like changes and want developers to keep them.
69%

Total votes: 26
Axalix
Novice
Novice

Poll about changes on the server

Post by Axalix »

Please vote.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: Poll about changes on the server

Post by Reid »

It depends about what change you're talking about. The one on tulimshar is good, even if I will miss these old tiles...
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Of all the changes that's the least likely to come out. Here's why:

Old System:
- Grind Slimes
- Die
- Warp to town
- Profit

New System:
- Grind Slime
- Die
- Neutral respawn scaled to content level of map.
- No profit yet nor do you have to walk all the way back from town. (Go grind the new crypts a bit or die in Candor (See Above))

The system is meant to force more manual expenditure of time to achieve wealth in conventional old lazy ways. Mash X, WIN!
It's why the Dock has no cost but takes time to move around. Time is the most valuable resource as it's the resource everyone puts in.
It's my job as a dev to steal and your job as a player to steal it back. If you want to save time, Fast Travel.

The penalties feel heavier to the end game player than the new player, as the new player has more time than money and the end game player as more money than time. It's why new and old all have to walk to find all the travelers.

Another side effect is old and new players can move along the same paths now. The graveyards group people together by maps, not segregating players by "save point". As all new players tend to stick in Tonori for a while before even discovering Hurnscald. Now the paths and options are open. you can start a char and walk to hurnscald or nivalis no problem. It's a pain, but their are no artificial barriers to anything except high content where a lower player could get temporarily stuck until their towel came up. Even within these you'll notice pockets of safety. So you have to linger around longer on the paths you took increasing the chances of running into someone in the wild.

Mind you this is just the first round. We have more content you can't even see yet. In the coming years the distance between towns is going to increase. More is coming. There is alot in the game now thats not even in quests yet. Weapons, Hats, Chests, Legs, Feet, Charms, Shields, etc.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Remember that resave is broken right now because I rolled back the server.

I've discovered the cause of the crash and produced a fix, but I'm trying to make the crash *impossible* in general, rather than code around the specific opportunities to crash. I'll try to do testing tomorrow and update the server on the weekend.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I really don't mind a lot of the changes in the game personally, the only problems I really have are some of the new graphics that was put in game. The silk robes look way to broad on the female sprite now and some of the colours are duller than before.
wushin wrote:More is coming. There is alot in the game now thats not even in quests yet. Weapons, Hats, Chests, Legs, Feet, Charms, Shields, etc.
I hope you don't mean the items we got from holiday quests in the past, there has already been discussions within the forums from the community about wanting to keep rare hats rare.

That said the unobtainable items are exciting to think of.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

Chicka maria please consider your stand invalid, since you call yourself developer your responsibility is to be up to date with changes to be in game *before* some troll makes a poll. You did not approach me nor anyone about whatever you like or dislike so just be quiet about it just like everyone else who was lazy enough to not check in advance. ah right and really im fed up with your hat protectionism, how often do people have to tell you that we cant have a database full of unobtainable items until you grasp it? this is a game new players should be able to play so you speculated with your item and failed, change happens - always - everywhere - full stop.

Oh and if people leave the game after being with it for 5 years i don't see any problem with it, it's a game.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

I'm fine with nearly all changes.
Some might appear weird now, but that's mainly because we got used to them.
And some might appear ugly now, but were necessary to be changed one day (death travel).

I love the new Tulimshar tileset, especially the animated water.
I love the new ferry, pixel art wise and the system.
I love sprite 1.5 which is another big improvment.

I only dislike the new towel system, but I said that before.
Chay wrote:ah right and really im fed up with your hat protectionism, how often do people have to tell you that we cant have a database full of unobtainable items until you grasp it?
Hmm then you might also be fed up with me and many others as Chicky is right about defending this.
We had that topic several times: People get pissed when the rares they love get available far easier than before.
Of course they do, they had a hard time getting them, spent much money after collecting them for weeks/months or even years.

As a newbie I always wanted certain rares (and still do) but we have a huge collection of other hats we can use until we finally get the chance to get the rare we wanted.
And this is one of the things that's still encouraging me to play the game: there are rares I want to have one day.
I'm playing for a year now, compared to others this might not be much, but a year is still a year of effort to get something.
And if I finally get the rare I wanted for months/years and the devs (I'm speaking as a player now) suddenly make it easily obtainable you can be sure that even I become *REALLY* fed up.
This is how people leave the game... and I disagree: we should, no, must have a problem with player leavings - always, even if our members count was increasing again, what it isn't.

"The customer is the king".

In a nutshell:
As long as we don't make other hats unobtainable, rare ones should and must stay rare.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Axalix wrote:Please vote.
Sincerely I can't vote and will not do it. anyway there are so few player on this forum now that the advice is biased and the poll does not represent a significant average (see the number of answers in the town drop poll).

Things are not Black or White. There are many shades of grey between them. There are fortunately other dimensions as colors.

I strongly dislike at the moment with some parts of the update and think they are unfinished or unconsistent. I find other ideas brilliant thus the people whom I talked with about this update should not be stupid enough to see my critics as a blind rejection. On some other modification I think they bring nothing and I don't care about them.

Finally I don't know yet about some of them thus it is too soon to have an advice. One remark though: this update ( we should say these updates) is a huge one. I can understand that such a big work is hard to make bug free, but some aspects have so many bugs ( not fully tested or by enough people?) that they should not have been released now. This has always led to complaints in the past, there is no reason that it is different now.

Edit: This is my simple player's opinion. Reid, WildX or I don't speak in name of CRC players.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Chay wrote:Chicka maria please consider your stand invalid, since you call yourself developer your responsibility is to be up to date with changes to be in game *before* some troll makes a poll. You did not approach me nor anyone about whatever you like or dislike so just be quiet about it just like everyone else who was lazy enough to not check in advance. ah right and really im fed up with your hat protectionism, how often do people have to tell you that we cant have a database full of unobtainable items until you grasp it? this is a game new players should be able to play so you speculated with your item and failed, change happens - always - everywhere - full stop.

Oh and if people leave the game after being with it for 5 years i don't see any problem with it, it's a game.

Last time I checked I develop sound, not graphics. So no you are wrong, I do not need to look at your graphics/whatever you make ahead of time before they are put into the game to tell you my opinion. Also just because a player gives their opinion about the changes it does not mean theyre a troll. You handle critism very poorly this just shows when you're telling me to be quiet about my opinion which I won't do by the way..
I am a player too not just a developer, so yes changes in game affect me just as much as they do anybody else who plays the game. Therefor I can have a say on the forums as well.

I don't really care if you're fed up or not with me it affects me in no way whatsoever. and considering I was talking about rare items (such as elf hats, funky hats, bunny ears/rabbit ears etc.) NOT unobtainables (like the assassins set). Infact In my post I said I ENCOURAGE unobtainable items be brought into game. maybe you should reread what I wrote incase you misunderstood :wink:

Change is everywhere yes, but it doesn't mean every detail needs changing. The game is for the players enjoyment not just yours. Unlike you a lot of players actually find ENJOYMENT in searching for these items and purchasing them from other players and it encourages interactment between players.

My stand isn't invalid, I'm sorry it bothers you so much.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I'll have no arguments about consistency.
I can find more inconsistencies in the old content than the new.
Weapon name schemas
Whether or not an item had all views
Whether or an item was properly set-up in the items.xml
Items added with images
naming conventions
duplicating sprites instead of reusing the xmls
Not reusing xmls
Invisible tiles across several maps
Quests don't reuse a number of things that could be common functions
Items not being properly set-up
the Error.xml even had an Error!
This is just tip of iceburg, I can do this all day.

If you want the same old game you played for the last 5 years, go clone and develop it yourself.
We can't move forward keeping both feet in the past.

P.S. Not to mention NPCs using the oldest sprite base we had force Tulimshar to look Awful.
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

The changes are pretty cool, i really like the new maps, but there a few things thet kinda annoy me.

1. Grass snakes in near the GY, i get killed before even being able to enter the GY.
2. I love the new boat, but i do not much like that you cannot simply just go to whichever part of the world you wish to go to just by stepping on the dock and choosing, instead you have to take a bit of an annoying ride to someplace else to eventually get to where you want.
3. The towels are awesome, but i miss when i die i just return back to the last stone i touched, to me it was better the way it was because when i die i usually like to buy more apples, arrows and other things, then return to where i was. I suggest to take what LOF uses,( Touch a stone, get a towel for from that stone that is colored for that town, Red for Hurns, Yellow for Tull, White for Nev and so on) you can stiil have the dye towel option for the other places you can warp to that do not have a stone though.

So, all in all as you can read above, i have an over all mixed feeling about the recent update " Keep this, get rid of that kinda thought". So i cannot vote keep or get rid off.

:|
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

that's why i made the "troll" comment as it is quite trolly to not even elaborate what the poll is about. maybe OP can add his opinion?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

The changes are to facilitate a larger world. It also makes it far easier to change/add fix. Notice the level of response on finding bugs.

Welcome to having consistent content. It offers plenty but leaves more to do. The main point wasn't to make TMW like some cathedral. It was meant to be an Innovative Open Source MMORPG, but prior devs raised the bar so high and older players "locked" into time and gear blocked the creativity.

This release allows for the free and open expansion of the world. and will increase it going forward.

An MMORPG is like a Top. Content/GamePlay/Community have to all be kept spinning. The whole fact people speculate on the Manamarket based off Old rares, which the quests to obtain them can't be put in either. To drive the value of their rares up. Thus the economic disparity appears.

The Towel is a Unique travel system and shouldn't be held in a Cathedral for those few to use. Same goes for "rares" that aren't rares.

Note: There is an item, Bottle Of Sand, considered to be rare.
In a world of empty bottles and giant desert, Bottles of sand are rare?
Now mystical Bottle of Sand, Colored Bottle of Sand, Time Sands, Sands of The Matyr, etc. Sure those sound rare.

"My Empty candy wrapper, it's a rare."
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

wushin wrote:I'll have no arguments about consistency.
I can find more inconsistencies in the old content than the new.[...]

This is just tip of iceburg, I can do this all day.
Players have no way to look into your mind and follow the probably long reflection that led you to your choices. New things may look inconsistent or buggy because they come with no warning and are rather unusual. Now I agree with you, former developments were far to be perfect and were (are) not consistent with their own displayed goals; and this on all layers of the project, from content to server code.
For example, the transport thing: The former policy was the result of several trials, sometimes in opposite directions :/. The recent update pushes the older ideas further on, nothing is wrong with it as a whole. My opinion on them is more contrasted than the small chat we had about it and that led you to wrong and too fast conclusions: I still disagree with any kind of free transport; and also to have fast access to every part of the world, this because it prevents the possibility to have different item prices in different parts of the world. I had a different opinion when Blue Sage was released (btw a barbarian village was planned not so far from it). I have also a different idea about death penalty which should be independant from the transport thing in my opinion. Some items are so expensive and boring to get (this is history) that transport price has an influence on gameplay the former transport prices were lowered twice because of that. I cannot have a definitive overall opinion at the moment since only a wider and longer experience about it can allow to have one. Some ideas may also seem fun, but players may get bored with them after repeating the "fun" hundreds of times (see Arkim for example) :/

Once again this post reflects a pure player's first ideas. They are mine and not those of any one else.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

There's nothing wrong with having rare items from past years and keeping them rare. plenty of other MMORPGs have "rare" items too from events. look at wonderking and GAIA too. I know because I played these games and it makes the market more fun to see rare items get traded/bought. This is a good thing to have IMO other wise we wouldn't really have an exciting market to play with as a player.

It's fun and exciting, rares were already discussed many times by players who have been here. It would be wrong to change that system.

Rare items don't *need* to have quests, unobtainable items do IMO. That should be more focused on rather than taking away a marketing system people enjoy using.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba