Creating an Unarmed Fighter

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Creating an Unarmed Fighter

Post by SpeedDuck »

Recently I started looking around to see if it was possible to create an unarmed fighter in TMW using the Brawling Skill. I'm not sure how fully developed the skill is, but I managed to get about 1170 DPS with potions. The character wore agility enhancing items and had the ability to cast magic. This build is definitely not a tank, as it was only just able to handle two lady skeletons and/or skeletons with the help of healing items and spells. The character is set up as an unarmed agility tank-mage with 70 STR, 105(99+6) AGI, 5 VIT, 1 INT, 40 DEX, and 70 LUK. I'm still testing different stats to see if I can get a better combination and possibly use betsanc. Initially I tried using #upmarmu with the Brawling Skill, but I'm not sure they really have any impact on each other. Any feedback is appreciated!
Spoiler:
monk-vs-lady-skeleton.png
monk-vs-lady-skeleton.png (2.3 MiB) Viewed 5615 times
monk-vs-skeleton.png
monk-vs-skeleton.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 5615 times
Last edited by WildX on 11 Jan 2019, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Contained attachements
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck -> dangerDuck -> TinyToes -> Vladimir Putin -> LeggoLass -> Calithildor_Elderon
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Creating an Unarmed Fighter

Post by WildX »

This is a very cool build, I'd love to see it fully developed in the future. I think it could benefit from limited mana abilities (magic) for defence and self-healing. It could make for a very easy to implement basic build so that we're not stuck with the boring usual warrior, mage or archer RPG clichè. No special weapon sprites needed. Monk FTW.

TMW Team member

Pawneeboy
Novice
Novice

Post by Pawneeboy »

Might be able to pull a higher magic attack with silk gloves and black boots, and maybe do 66 luck and put those points to either vit or int :D

Update: I used some similar stats with Tom Foolery (Level 99) and imho most speed warrior builds are better at dealing damage and surviving w/o having it use a lot of healing stuff. Now if the devs can modify the damage totals and DPS, this could really rock :D
I'm John H., Tom Foolery, Dresden (not German), King Fisher, Clay, John Frost and Preacher. :alt-6: :alt-7:
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

A long time ago i tried playing around with the brawling skill and i remember coming to the conclusion that brawling is useless, and that raging and maybe even speed skill are betters skills when fighting without weapon. However today i tried to find prove to this conclusion by looking at the source code and i must say i cant say for sure that my conclusion was correct.
What i understand from reading the source code now is:
brawling only works when no weapon is equipped. At max skill lvl it gives 66 attack bonus. The only way to get more attack is raising base attack via stats(high strenght) and potions. It might also be possible to raise attack by using non weapon equipment (like gloves) who have an attack bonus, but i dont think such equipment exists in game.

a brawling warrior is basically a regular warrior with a 66attack weapon without the benefits of the speed skill or the raging skill. (which makes it useless)

so i think if you want the get the most out of this skill, you have to have high strength and high agi. just like a regular warrior :-)
This is not a placeholder
SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

I agree. This build doesn't have enough DPS or armor to be as effective as speed or bull rage warriors. The Brawling Skill would need to be tweaked and/or, possibly, benefit from #upmarmu for this to be a viable new class. It would probably even need new equipment, like a monk robe or boxing gloves, that would benefit unarmed combat damage to be really effective. The real trick would be to make the monk unique, instead of it just replacing the warrior class. :)
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck -> dangerDuck -> TinyToes -> Vladimir Putin -> LeggoLass -> Calithildor_Elderon
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

This requires too much work on tmwAthena. Newly balanced stats on Hercules would make this a great option from the start with the right equipment to support it. I'll keep this in mind when the time to talk stats balance comes around.

TMW Team member

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

WildX wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 14:51 This requires too much work on tmwAthena. Newly balanced stats on Hercules would make this a great option from the start with the right equipment to support it. I'll keep this in mind when the time to talk stats balance comes around.
Thanks! I'd love to see this build fully developed. I think it's very cool! :D
Join the Duck Side!

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

Since the release of the assassin armor and its restriction to unarmed fighting, I've tested out a few builds using the new gear. I've determined that, with potions, the speed skill gets the most DPS at over 2600, while the brawling skill does a couple hundred less damage. This is a lot more than my previous attempts at building an unarmed fighter (though I did have to max STR to get DPS that high).

Survivability is important with this build, which means both AGI and STR can't both be maxed unless your char is quite high level. The build probably isn't better than a speed warrior, though it has the potential for vastly greater walk speed and critical rate.

I've come to the following for a good set of stats with the assassin gear, ruby ring, and four-leaf clover:
STR - 76(75+1)
AGI - 136(99+37)
VIT - 35
INT - 1
DEX - 30(29+1)
LUK - 66(65+1)

This build has the ability to self-heal and heal others in addition to high movement speed, high HP, a good crit rate, and high flee. The main disadvantage with this build is that it only really effective at higher levels (much like a warrior) and takes a lot more damage when fighting against crowds of monsters.

Join the Duck Side!

Clort
Peon
Peon

Post by Clort »

SpeedDuck wrote: 11 May 2021, 20:11

Since the release of the assassin armor and its restriction to unarmed fighting, I've tested out a few builds using the new gear. I've determined that, with potions, the speed skill gets the most DPS at over 2600, while the brawling skill does a couple hundred less damage. This is a lot more than my previous attempts at building an unarmed fighter (though I did have to max STR to get DPS that high).

Survivability is important with this build, which means both AGI and STR can't both be maxed unless your char is quite high level. The build probably isn't better than a speed warrior, though it has the potential for vastly greater walk speed and critical rate.

I've come to the following for a good set of stats with the assassin gear, ruby ring, and four-leaf clover:
STR - 76(75+1)
AGI - 136(99+37)
VIT - 35
INT - 1
DEX - 30(29+1)
LUK - 66(65+1)

This build has the ability to self-heal and heal others in addition to high movement speed, high HP, a good crit rate, and high flee. The main disadvantage with this build is that it only really effective at higher levels (much like a warrior) and takes a lot more damage when fighting against crowds of monsters.

What gives +37 AGI?

I have str: 70 agi:122 (99+23) vit: 48 int: 1 dex:30 (29+1) luk: 66 (65+1)
with assassin gear and 4-leaf clover and topaz ring.

Apple.
Peon
Peon

Post by Apple. »

the assassin shirt gives +15 agi :)

Chars: Apple., Kiwi., Kobold, AppleStore <3

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

Now that #upmarmu has been tweaked, focusing on Brawling and putting points into AGI (first), STR (second), and DEX/INT (third) yields a potentially better brawler. The new #upmarmu spell cannot miss, like any magic attack, and almost maxes ASPD with full AGI (including AGI from assassin gear). It stacks with Brawling and Iron Potions, but not Concentration Potions, and overrides the ASPD penalty imposed by #betsanc. This means that brawlers are the only build, apart from mages, to not suffer the penalty of #betsanc. A DPS of about 2600 is possible at lvl 90-ish using #upmarmu (the downside is that you need a lot of beer and MP to fight constantly with #upmarmu unless you raise DEX and/or INT).

Join the Duck Side!

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Now being next update; And next update being........ Someday ™

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

SpeedDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SpeedDuck »

xD

Join the Duck Side!

WarriorPL
Legendary Warrior
Legendary Warrior

Post by WarriorPL »

Hi

I use Braw + Rag skill. My stats → str:110=99+11 agi:100=99+1 vit:56 int:1 dex:100=99+1 luk:83. Now i have 1396 DPS w/o pots. I wonder how I would change the configuration for speed + Rag whether I would have gotten a better DPS score :?: