The Best of ManaWorld you wish came back

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: The Best of ManaWorld you wish came back

Post by WildX »

MadCamel wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 02:56

Exploiting the #_&$ out of the server, protocol, quests, and damn near everything. The TMW devs were absolutely wonderful and instead of banning me they invited me to contribute!

This was common practice and how TMW gained developers. The good old days

I haven't come across a lot of people devising their own exploits recently. You really need to step it up and inspire the younger generations. :lol:

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

WildX wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 12:23

Exploiting the #_&$ out of the server, protocol, quests, and damn near everything. The TMW devs were absolutely wonderful and instead of banning me they invited me to contribute!

This was common practice and how TMW gained developers. The good old days

I haven't come across a lot of people devising their own exploits recently. You really need to step it up and inspire the younger generations. :lol:

(As long that it's not TMWA exploits)
(Or we will be forced to rush Evolved with the lag only partly fixed – death of runners and maybe archers as well)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Exploiting the #_&$ out of the server, protocol, quests, and damn near everything. The TMW devs were absolutely wonderful and instead of banning me they invited me to contribute! This was common practice and how TMW gained developers. The good old days

Yea, and I've eventually learned how to crash server. Yet I've got idea dev team is cool, so while they've not believed me, IIRC, Crush got curious and came on server with debugger. I've not disappointed him. Has been fun times, where devs and players were together on same server - while devs were open minded and up for experiments. I miss that part badly, too.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

The only last major exploit which would be worth its salt was done by a known troll and was bad enough to require a full rollback of savedata.

(Which Gumi also thankfully managed to patch; Maybe TMW Legacy wouldn't be around anymore otherwise)

But well, I do miss developers with skillz, which could look at that attack and fix things themselves without help – there's only 2, maybe 3 members with such skills in team and that I am explicitly aware of.
In a team of 15, with 10 developers.

Not a problem per se – we need mappers, pixel artists, quest writers, music composers, testers, bugfixers, documentation people – But... Back then, I feel we had more specialized devs in staff 😅

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

That's why I've got idea these days someone like MadCamel would've ended up as banned person, labeled "known troll" or so. You see, (allegedly) he caused quite some trouble when "event" happened (I dont have solid proof who's behind whole thing). Desperate GMs were spawning jacks in Tulim (noob area by then) to kill noobs (mostly bots). Looked quite epic btw, but haven't prevented chat spam. By then server had no better tooling anyway. I'd be damned, team had it hard. And yet, they managed to forgive and recognize potential, showcasing far better team-level decisionmaking. Something TMWT either can't afford or doesn't cares these days... and it's one of things that made team far more epic than it's now. They were open-minded and able to evaluate WHOLE pictire, not just their own convenience. This part seems to be gone now... and I miss it a lot.

p.s. on side note I think I have screen of "event start". It's rather boring tho, just online list. Seems I've been dumb enough or just surprised enough not to screen jacks vs noobs part.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

(verifies this is Player Talk and not some fancy moderated forum section)

dramatic finger pointing - MadCamel, Hello=) has just said you are worse than pateame!

hides quickly on the kitchen, and prepares popcorn in case trolling goes wrong and this delves into drama

PS. Technically Hello=) said the team is blind and wouldn't know the difference between MC and pateame, but I'm trying to troll here.

PPS. Technically, due the way we verify identities, it might not have been the original pateame. The precision of the statement is the precision on the Personally Identifiable Information we collect and retain, which is not much to start with.

PPPS. You are overestimating the past team.
Read this Secret Thread. You are a Game Master, so you should have enough clearance for it. Other people should refer to the public thread (which mentions the earlier). While we have different team members, I don't know if the decision would have been any different with the current team composition.

Fun fact: For the record, given he was appointed to TMWT membership in July 2010 - not so long after this thread - one would imagine the drama of "tmwt gives too much slack to devs", "devs are immune to bans", "devs can break the rules and no one does anything about it!" etc. would have seen yet another chapter. Except this is 2010, back then we have Freeyorp admiring Platyna - Platy is strong but not a tyrant. Not only that, but in August we would have MadCamel vs Big Crunch on the GM Nomination threads. So nope. No drama. Such a missed opportunity... :lol:

Also - We still do this, but script kiddies usually don't code - they have neither basic knowledge nor intention in learning, so we have not seen this lately :oops:

I estimate 100.00% of our current botters are either mindless grinding or using auto-clickers.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Hello=) wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 06:50

That's why I've got idea these days someone like MadCamel would've ended up as banned person, labeled "known troll" or so.

MC was labelled as a known troll years ago. :lol:
I really don’t see your point. Some of our current devs are amazing trolls in their own right. Gumi’s antics have given Prsm several headaches. If anything I think the community is more sensitive (and has always been rather sensitive) to devs taking any liberties. I wouldn’t blame TMWT for that.

TMW Team member

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

• As for "worse than pateame", dunno, I wasn't there to compare. Yet I like team preferred project wellbeing over petty vendettas.
  • I had private chats with both. Both were fun to some extent. And at least both got idea of eA protocol and ways to creatively (mis)use it. How many TMWTians can admit same? :P
  • While justice in mentioned threads is imperfect at best, OTOH I've seen sci-fi showcasing perfect justice. Empty dead worlds, where mindless automations shot everything that moves. Nobody does bad. Nobody complains. Perfect justice, eh?
  • If we'll up for trolling and hidden threads, I've seen that "superb" hidden voting I call "One Ring Account To Rule Them All" (forbid >1 player account on Revolt server). Guess I don't like it. A lot. For me it exceeded anything I've disliked about Platyna. I'd say its weird "opensource" team comes with restrictive mindset like this.

So things changed. A lot. Somewhere on the way team lost it roots, lost its ways, and TBH feels proprietary-minded, totalitarian and taking shortcuts at cost of other things (UX, ecosystem, etc). So I think if MC appeared in 2020, he would've been simply banned. As simplest, most convenient option. Though I guess he can unban self as many times as he wants to.

Oh, and just in case, it seems I wouldn't be on that rEvolt thing. I'm not okay with restrictive rules, they don't fit my usecases and ruin fun, and AFAIK rEvolt project doesn't targets ppl like me anyway. So I shouldn't be there - anyone using nick like that is impostor who got nothing to do with me.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Hello=) wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 02:19

:alt--:
Oh, and just in case, it seems I wouldn't be on that rEvolt thing. I'm not okay with restrictive rules, they don't fit my usecases and ruin fun, and AFAIK rEvolt project doesn't targets ppl like me anyway. So I shouldn't be there - anyone using nick like that is impostor who got nothing to do with me.

Don't worry - that is likely the very first thing gumi did (even if implementation is not exactly something you like).

At least for a while, no one other than you should be able to use "Hello=)" there.

Oh, and if it serves you any comfort (it doesn't) - gumi was also against that rule.

But well, this is TMWT and its "weird"* way of operating, I guess. Hidden threads have always been a thing, too, and majority votes are how it operates.

* Actually, 3rd sector governance is a bit weird. TMWT follows it rather well, so it inherits all quirks as well.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

And at least both got idea of eA protocol and ways to creatively (mis)use it. How many TMWTians can admit same?

I can. I used to kick all players from the screen (by crashing their clients) by sending an illegal smiley packet to the server :P

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Somewhere on the way team lost it roots, lost its ways, and TBH feels proprietary-minded, totalitarian and taking shortcuts at cost of other things (UX, ecosystem, etc).

I’m not surprised the team has lost its roots since it’s made up of entirely different people with entirely different ideas. The team is not a person, so it’s really not that shocking that it doesn’t have a consistent personality. You call it totalitarian but actually it’s its democratic nature that makes it this way. If you want consistency you should consider autocracy. Platyna was very consistent in her ideas.

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

WildX wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 09:20

Somewhere on the way team lost it roots, lost its ways, and TBH feels proprietary-minded, totalitarian and taking shortcuts at cost of other things (UX, ecosystem, etc).

I’m not surprised the team has lost its roots since it’s made up of entirely different people with entirely different ideas. The team is not a person, so it’s really not that shocking that it doesn’t have a consistent personality. You call it totalitarian but actually it’s its democratic nature that makes it this way. If you want consistency you should consider autocracy. Platyna was very consistent in her ideas.

No she was not, she changed a lot before she was kicked from staff. Became more possessive. Autocracy is not consistent, it is just less inconsistent.

For true consistency, please check the global death or AI enslavement alternatives instead.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Became more possessive? She declared herself queen of TMW and only ever showed herself to show off her crown and remind everyone that she was our god. Platyna never changed.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WildX wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 19:15

Became more possessive? She declared herself queen of TMW and only ever showed herself to show off her crown and remind everyone that she was our god.[...]

At first I thought you made a love speech about me... :)

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

WildX wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 19:15

Became more possessive? She declared herself queen of TMW and only ever showed herself to show off her crown and remind everyone that she was our god. Platyna never changed.

Have you read her posts from 2009 and so? They will make you think she was a totally different person.

Humans are not so consistent over time as you may imagine :lol: