[MAGES] Which Spell do you use most?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Which spell do you use most?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

#ingrav
46%
#confringo
35%
other...
9%
#flar
4%
#chiza
3%
#frillyar
2%
#upmarmu
2%

Total votes: 131
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

[MAGES] Which Spell do you use most?

Post by jesusalva »

Well, besides utilitary spells, of course.

What do you use most for attacking?

IMPORTANT
I'm actually testing some of the new cool poll features which gumi added.

You can choose up to 3 poll options.
You can vote on the same option up to 3 times.
And you have 5 vote points to redistribute.

Preferably:
  • Vote "3" on the one you use most
  • You'll still have 2 votes to allocate, either at a second-option, two second-options, or to not allocate at all.
...And I'm curious to see how this poll will look like :alt-7:

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: [MAGES] Which Spell do you use most?

Post by jesusalva »

FAQ

What do you mean by item?
Archers gained the Enchanter's Amulet. Warriors gained the Sand Cutter.

Mages also need an item for Doomsday Event, I'm tired of a certain someone bugging me about that :alt-=: :alt-7:

Why do we need to vote?
Changing magic offensive spells is a bit troublesome. Making so with an item, even more so.
I'll kinda hack the magic code! So only one spell will be boosted by this item.

More magic spells hacked = more mess, less stable code, more work, more time spent, and so on.

What will you do? Increase the spell power?
Depends on what the spell needs most.

For example, I would improve #ingrav attack speed, or #confringo attack range.
Each offensive spell has a weakness, which is what the item will try to convey.

Can I comment?
This is player talk. Your comments are MORE than welcome!

In special, if you select "other..." (like, summoning spells), please specify better what you mean.

Is there a deadline?
Yes. When I start adding the item is the deadline.
I don't know exactly when I'll do that, of course :alt-4:
But hopefully still this week :alt-=: I need to restart server to get rid of some @addwarps and that's a good opportunity.

Another rare?
A bit less rare than Enchanter's Amulet, but a bit more expensive.

It's kinda hard to describe, so I won't give too many details, specially when things can go terribly wrong. Think like this: if Sand Cutter is expensive, and Enchanter's Amulet is rare, this item will be somewhere in between.

Why not more wands?
Wands code is too complex for my taste. :alt-8:

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

kytty
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by kytty »

Well... In my opinion, confringo spell is already powerful and fast, but what prevent us from using it all the time is the amount of mana it takes. So if confringo gets majority votes, I hope it lowers the mana penalty. :mrgreen:

:shock:
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Great topic.
Mages also need an item for Doomsday Event
They most definitely do not. A 19 defense helmet with no magic penalty IS a mage item. Paladins are traditionally, so holy and righteous that they become warriors with the blessing of the god/s and can do things like heal and more clerical spells, but no clerics in TMW so far, but this helmet permits one to act as a paladin, as a mage. Warriors are the class that got the cut again. Not mages. There are no good warrior items(specifically).
Changing magic offensive spells is a bit troublesome.
So don't. Mages are more about what they can do that others cannot and unfortunately non-combat actions haven't been giving mages exp other than heal spells. Things like a resurrect from dying location should give big exp, but cost big in some way, like major loss of MP. Mages can find secret doors and portals (in dice RPGs/lore), or open them like catalazuli, which should give mage good exp if it doesn't already. Mages just need other ways to be useful and gain exp other than big attack spells. They should be able to transmute more things so they don't need to grind as hard to get items, etc. Fireball is exciting, but to be really good, there'd need to be flammable objects mobs and some mobs immune, etc ... not just plain old damage. To be a mage means to think and zapping lightning is not much of a talent compared to turning something in the environment into something more useful. Druids in D&D had 'sticks to snakes' spell. I think it is cool that dark mages finally have good spawns, but why are dark mouboo not as tough as real mouboo? (if possible to summon)
Dark mages have no asorm so to be fair they could have just been more offensive with their spawns or be able to blind others or something wacky. itenplz reminds me of a clerics turn spell, but the opposite effect. How hard would it be to make a spell that makes mobs move away from you rather than towards? How hard is it to make it work on only certain mobs, like undead creatures only as would be the case for clerics in other RPGs with a few exceptions?
I would improve #ingrav attack speed, or #confringo attack range.
Please don't make a powerful spell like that happen more often. Big animation and big sound (bad for performance). Instead how about making it more powerful, with say another attribute and please not agility? Dexterity is a good one because in many RPGs the rationale is that some spells require good dexterity to perform them, like illusionist spells and offensive and such. Maybe strength could increase spawn damage or if easier, a few more mobs instead or just better mobs with more strength (I think already implemented with dark spawns a bit?).
less rare than Enchanter's Amulet, but a bit more expensive
I really hope this isn't the 30kk items that can be bought at NPC and I hope it is something specific to warriors. Mages can wear armour (paladin helmet) so how about a magical item for warriors. I propose an item that is used as melee, but when a crit or certain other chance based thing like double damage would take place, it could be used as a range weapon that does more damage, like double (bull helmet) or like in the old Link (Zelda) when Link had full health, the knife was a projectile, but when hurt he had to fight melee.

Spell ideas (crazy old post): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17028&hilit=magic+s ... gic+spells

Since this server is already deprecated, is any of this really worth doing? Can it be ported to the new server? What can I do to help?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 02 May 2020, 04:54 Since this server is already deprecated, is any of this really worth doing? Can it be ported to the new server? What can I do to help?
Nope. And nope.

This will not make mages more OP than bansheers, anyway.
Specially because after a certain point, all monsters start having high MDEF.

I could put some HP regen in the steel shield if warriors become lacking; But they're tankers, not DPS. (Although Sand Cutter deals more damage per second than mages, and criticals, which warriors can specialize on, always hits and ignores defense. This is very powerful.)

Eh, I would appreciate help in either one of those:
  1. Work on rEvolt (see evol-docs!3)
  2. Learn Git and make PRs to add sounds to stuff

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I could put some HP regen in the steel shield
Only if there is some mini-quest to enchant the shield, or just make a better shield available if there already is one (more def).
Work on rEvolt (see evol-docs!3)
Learn Git and make PRs to add sounds to stuff
Well if I have push access now, I suppose I could try pushing one thing at a time that I feel confident in. Do I have push request?
I'll look at the docs for rEvolt. I think making things for the new server makes more sense unless we are adding things already made or easy to do in the old server, but remember every new thing we add is a new thing to port. I'd love to try making spells for rEvolt.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

It would be cool if there's a kind of shield that offers extreme protection being equipped while automatically depleting warrior's MP stopping working after MPs are gone.
That will force warriors to learn a new style of fighting and stats as well or increase mana potion makers income...
nanoqX
Peon
Peon

Post by nanoqX »

In my eyes it is not easy to create an item for mages since there are different types of mages out there. Something to support #confringo might be good for tank mages but as speed mage #ingrav might be more important. For me the potential use of #chiza is disregarded since it is a mass or ground spell. It would be nice to use it inside and outside on a smaller area.

Maybe warriors should be able to install gems to items to give them additional stats. An ordinary wand with two slots for gems would allow a more individual gameplay which is needed for mage class.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

nanoqX wrote: 02 May 2020, 10:39 ...but as speed mage #ingrav might be more important.
But isn't that spell cooldown time the same for any kind of mage?
nanoqX wrote: 02 May 2020, 10:39 Maybe warriors should be able to install gems to items to give them additional stats. An ordinary wand with two slots for gems would allow a more individual gameplay which is needed for mage class.
I guess that you have mentioned a feature implemented in TMW2 that probably isn't going to be ported on Legacy.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

nanoqX wrote: 02 May 2020, 10:39 In my eyes it is not easy to create an item for mages since there are different types of mages out there. Something to support #confringo might be good for tank mages but as speed mage #ingrav might be more important. For me the potential use of #chiza is disregarded since it is a mass or ground spell. It would be nice to use it inside and outside on a smaller area.

Maybe warriors should be able to install gems to items to give them additional stats. An ordinary wand with two slots for gems would allow a more individual gameplay which is needed for mage class.
Runner mages and Tanker mages are already benefited by the other rares (as Lemitz pointed out); So I believe speed mages, slow mages, and lazy mages (my group!) are the ones which need more care.

Ofc I can boost summon mages instead, if "others" wins this poll.
And of course, if every mage in TMW plays as a tanker mage or a runner mage; Oh well. Lets boost them again, then :alt-7:

Ecuador
Novice
Novice

Post by Ecuador »

Jesusalva, can you please tell what do you mean by Sand Cutter being more expensive than Enchanter's Amulet?
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ecuador wrote: 02 May 2020, 16:37 Jesusalva, can you please tell what do you mean by Sand Cutter being more expensive than Enchanter's Amulet?
You need a [Mylarin Dust] for Sand Cutter; While for Enchanter's Amulet, "all you need is luck"

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

TMW Legacy server wrote: [GM] Finally it is time to add a cool new item for mages, but Jesusalva is too lazy. Please [@@viewtopic.php?&t=20943|vote here@@] on a magic spell so his laziness works in favour of the game, and not against %%N
#unlazy Jesusalva
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

To me the poll is null because it asks what we use now rather than what should be made better or more useful. I think melee mages are pretty cool and touch based attacks should be the higher dmg ones most of the time. I'd love to see the opposite done and make spells like upmarmu and chiza more useful based on another stat if we're just talking about attack spells, but miteyo(detect magic), if it isn't too hard, should detect anyone focused on astral, magical NPCs and or maybe just detect a magic spell currently used, like Ledmitz: betsanc, Jesusalva: ingrav, etc. IDK if there is a current command to get that info or not.
Maybe warriors should be able to install gems to items to give them additional stats.
I really like that idea because it is done for the ring already, but ideally it should be enchanted. Easiest way is to make reference to the ring maker (Inya?) as being an enchanter mage. It just helps explain why there is now a bonus.
kind of shield that offers extreme protection being equipped while automatically depleting warrior's MP
I think it's a really awesome idea too, but I wonder what the back end would be like. If it's possible to make magic bar work for only a shield, it makes sense. It isn't good though if you can attack while using it because warriors don't need mp for anything else. I like this as long as it prevents you from attacking while using it, like a 2-handed shield maybe(would have to prevent spell casting too)? Maybe even a penalty of some sort in addition or as an alternative... like double defence for a very short duration... 5-10 seconds and if not unequipped cause damage at a rate of n pts/sec. Thing is, it would be an everybody item, unless say it requires a certain amount of strength to wield it properly, say.

Warrior item: Less is more, but past items released were less useful than already existing items. Can items be more specific? Like can it do this for speed skill and that for rage, for instance? Or an item could add a dex bonus for every n pts of str. This could also be used by everyone, but most useful to warriors.

Mage item: Mages usually have more things in their arsenal than spells and components. Some things like scrolls can be used by anyone, but have better results with a higher int and are limited in uses, like. Mages need something cool and wish it would give them exp. I love little things like a ring that makes certain mobs fight for you or itenplz having another part, like a release.. so if you use it on your own mobs, the release would allow them to attack again without having to run off and back on the screen. Think like chess... everything has to be countered somehow. Another maybe easy one is an MP reserve, so if you put mana elixir in an elixir flask(magical item), it would automatically refill the mp bar as much as the flask can hold if the spell used needs more than the amount available. IDK if it can be an invisible amount, if the bar should just increase when equipped or what, but it makes for interesting situations later when it could be required for something else.

I could go on all day about this nerdy stuff :lol:

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 03 May 2020, 04:19 To me the poll is null because it asks what we use now rather than what should be made better or more useful. I think melee mages are pretty cool and touch based attacks should be the higher dmg ones most of the time. I'd love to see the opposite done and make spells like upmarmu and chiza more useful based on another stat if we're just talking about attack spells, but miteyo(detect magic), if it isn't too hard, should detect anyone focused on astral, magical NPCs and or maybe just detect a magic spell currently used, like Ledmitz: betsanc, Jesusalva: ingrav, etc. IDK if there is a current command to get that info or not.
That would be correct if I was going to go on improving/developing new content for magic.
If my objective was to release magic tier 3, for example, I certainly would not be making this question.

But this is not the purpose; The current magic structure is not what rEvolt have. Apart from "one or two" spells (eg. #ingrav and #itenplz), most are not going to survive the port.

As I said, objective is to spend less time and resources, not more.
This is why I'm making a question about what currently exists; It is a bit immediatist of my part.
Ledmitz wrote: 03 May 2020, 04:19
kind of shield that offers extreme protection being equipped while automatically depleting warrior's MP
I think it's a really awesome idea too, but I wonder what the back end would be like. If it's possible to make magic bar work for only a shield, it makes sense. It isn't good though if you can attack while using it because warriors don't need mp for anything else. I like this as long as it prevents you from attacking while using it, like a 2-handed shield maybe(would have to prevent spell casting too)? Maybe even a penalty of some sort in addition or as an alternative... like double defence for a very short duration... 5-10 seconds and if not unequipped cause damage at a rate of n pts/sec. Thing is, it would be an everybody item, unless say it requires a certain amount of strength to wield it properly, say.
Here comes as spoiler: On rEvolt, warriors will be able to use mana.

They'll have their own set of skills, based on regular attack. "Warriors" include archers, of course.

Needless to say that if we don't change server engine, this would never be possible...