Item Price Guide

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
confuciousnz
Novice
Novice

Item Price Guide

Post by confuciousnz »

After having someone try to sell me an infantry helm for 80K, I feel it's time we did something to protect players from being taken advantage of.

I'm sure that some high-level player's going to come along and try to justify what they're doing or have done in the past, but I believe that taking advantage of players by grossly overcharging them for items is the work of bastards.
Take it or leave it.

We should have SOME sort of system where a list is made of all the 'accepted' in-game prices. People agree that iron ore goes for 10k, maybe less.
People agree that rare hats are worth millions, but should a player have to pay twice as much for an item that already costs a fortune?
I'm sure we all accept that herbs sell for 100-150GP each, with some being worth more than others to different people.

As helpful as the wiki price guide is, it doesn't show what price the NPCs buy or sell for, or what users buy and sell for.

The sell-attempt that spawned this thread.
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Re: Item Price Guide

Post by MoneyX »

No.
confuciousnz
Novice
Novice

Post by confuciousnz »

MoneyX wrote:No.
And the logic behind that statement is...?
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

There your items sell them at your own price... the seller will often tell you "take it or leave it".
My hat the pink one you see there
<-- was gifted to me and is priceless"to me" i wont sell it and i don't even play often im just a contributor.
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

Also disagree - your are suggesting destroying the free market economy in TMW. People should shop around before they buy, just like in real life. With the exception of rares, if a player doesn't like the price they can go grind for it themselves. Which is exactly what I tell people when they think my prices are too high.

If a person is dumb enough to pay 80k for an infantry helm - welp, a fool and their money are soon parted.

Also, if he IS trying to sell the helmet equipped (I can't read your half of the conversation at all) then there is nothing wrong trying to get 80k+ for the helmet - since it takes 10 Iron Ores for a Crusader helm and 15 for a Warlord helm (which I see him mentioning). And by your own admission, Iron Ore is worth 10k to some people so 10x 10k = 100k for a crusader helm (not counting blacksmith fee or their profit) is pretty reasonable. Warlord helmet would be even more.

tl;dr If you want to make a price guide for newbies and host it somewhere else (HMC, etc), go ahead. But there are no set prices nor should there be in a free market.
confuciousnz
Novice
Novice

Post by confuciousnz »

Ceros wrote:Also, if he IS trying to sell the helmet equipped (I can't read your half of the conversation at all) then there is nothing wrong trying to get 80k+ for the helmet - since it takes 10 Iron Ores for a Crusader helm and 15 for a Warlord helm (which I see him mentioning). And by your own admission, Iron Ore is worth 10k to some people so 10x 10k = 100k for a crusader helm (not counting blacksmith fee or their profit) is pretty reasonable. Warlord helmet would be even more.
It was a Warlord helm, and I too thought that was what he was trying to sell. He was infact trying to sell infantry helms.

With the free economy thing, sure we IRL shop around before spending money on anything from consumer electronics (parallel importing means we can save hundreds compared to the RRP major brands advertise) to perishables and stationary. Wouldn't you rather know the REAL price of a bag of chips before you buy them, rather than let yourself be taken for a sucker?

The main purpose of this would be to stop newbie players from being ripped off by more experienced players who should know better. TMW isn't known for having the greatest collection of guides, tips, and peer-support.
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

confuciousnz wrote:Wouldn't you rather know the REAL price of a bag of chips before you buy them, rather than let yourself be taken for a sucker?
Let's discuss this. You seem to imply that a bag of chips has a REAL price. If this is the case, what is that price? I will make it easy for you, by narrowing it down to just one type of chips - Doritos. You seem to assume that Doritos should be priced the same, everywhere. Logically, this isn't the case as we all know. Geographically, you're more likely to pay a premium for Doritos in an urban area with a higher cost of living then a rural area with a lower cost of living. Besides that, store location (whether grocery or convenience) will effect the price of a bag of chips. Even in between chains of grocery stores, the price can vary. Then you have to factor in the internet, when trying to determine the 'real' price - do you count shipping in this real price? What about bulk discounts and instance when Doritos are used as part of a combination meal (otherwise known as a Combo)? And last of all, what about the 'price gouging' that occurs in vending machines? Or even worse, in areas where the selling of items is strictly controlled and licensed, such as at airport and baseball stadiums where a bag of chips and a coke could cost you $8? Are these prices invalid and criminal? How do they effect the real price?

In truth, there is no real price. The price of an item is derived by the price one person is willing to buy an item at and another is willing to sell that same item.

You can see that while you may have intended to just use the 'bag of chips' as an analogy, it hasn't quite worked out as you planned. That is because TMW is the same way. While everyone has the items in TMW, not everyone has them all the time and those that do have them aren't always selling them. I charge a premium over many other sellers, principally because I buy and resell and aim to have most non-rare items in stock. Thus, you could consider me a 'convenience store' of sorts, where the buyer pays for the cost of being able to get anything from me with a relative certainty.

Furthermore, anyone who has played TMW long enough to get 80k in gold should know better then to blow it all one one item. Think of it like this - if you were walking down the street and you had $80,000 in your pocket, you'd think that you would know better then to buy a bag of Doritos with all of it. Because you knew the value of a dollar because you'd had to work hard to earn it.

We already have a wiki that lists in detail how to solve almost every quest, the components required to craft every item, and other general play tips. Besides that, we have users in game, many of which are more then happy to give player free Chocolate Cupcake whenever they ask, or advice.

We don't need to hold people's hand in this game - there's enough of that already.

</Doritos Defense>
MasterKenobi
Warrior
Warrior

Post by MasterKenobi »

Don't be afraid to ask other players if they think it's a fair price. Most players are helpful and honest.

You can also ask a GM, they are there to help you with these type of questions. (@wgm). :)

MK
Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.
Booth
Knight
Knight

Post by Booth »

I'd help if I were still playing...but you could always ask Ceros, he's a main marketer, like I was.
"Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken."
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic."
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Post by TheBasilisk »

Ceros wrote:
confuciousnz wrote:Wouldn't you rather know the REAL price of a bag of chips before you buy them, rather than let yourself be taken for a sucker?
Let's discuss this. You seem to imply that a bag of chips has a REAL price. If this is the case, what is that price? I will make it easy for you, by narrowing it down to just one type of chips - Doritos. You seem to assume that Doritos should be priced the same, everywhere. Logically, this isn't the case as we all know. Geographically, you're more likely to pay a premium for Doritos in an urban area with a higher cost of living then a rural area with a lower cost of living. Besides that, store location (whether grocery or convenience) will effect the price of a bag of chips. Even in between chains of grocery stores, the price can vary. Then you have to factor in the internet, when trying to determine the 'real' price - do you count shipping in this real price? What about bulk discounts and instance when Doritos are used as part of a combination meal (otherwise known as a Combo)? And last of all, what about the 'price gouging' that occurs in vending machines? Or even worse, in areas where the selling of items is strictly controlled and licensed, such as at airport and baseball stadiums where a bag of chips and a coke could cost you $8? Are these prices invalid and criminal? How do they effect the real price?

In truth, there is no real price. The price of an item is derived by the price one person is willing to buy an item at and another is willing to sell that same item.

You can see that while you may have intended to just use the 'bag of chips' as an analogy, it hasn't quite worked out as you planned. That is because TMW is the same way. While everyone has the items in TMW, not everyone has them all the time and those that do have them aren't always selling them. I charge a premium over many other sellers, principally because I buy and resell and aim to have most non-rare items in stock. Thus, you could consider me a 'convenience store' of sorts, where the buyer pays for the cost of being able to get anything from me with a relative certainty.

Furthermore, anyone who has played TMW long enough to get 80k in gold should know better then to blow it all one one item. Think of it like this - if you were walking down the street and you had $80,000 in your pocket, you'd think that you would know better then to buy a bag of Doritos with all of it. Because you knew the value of a dollar because you'd had to work hard to earn it.

We already have a wiki that lists in detail how to solve almost every quest, the components required to craft every item, and other general play tips. Besides that, we have users in game, many of which are more then happy to give player free **** whenever they ask, or advice.

We don't need to hold people's hand in this game - there's enough of that already.

</Doritos Defense>
The point she was trying to make is that we don't buy a bag of chips for 75$.
Hissssss...
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Post by MoneyX »

Like I said, no.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

someone needs an item. They buy it or get it themselves. someone has an item they give you a price. Take it or leave it plain and simple. Deal with it or get it off the forum, its fcking annoying. :evil:
Avital
Peon
Peon

Post by Avital »

As much as I'd love set rates; no. Absolutely not.

I generally ask how much the going rate for something is when I want to buy something. When I'm selling and don't know something's worth, I'll ask for them to offer or I'll suggest something that sounds reasonable. People will pay what they think an item is worth combined with its rarity and normal going rate. For example, most people try to buy ore for 5k, but most people try to sell it at 10k.
-Just Me
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

TheBasilisk wrote: The point she was trying to make is that we don't buy a bag of chips for 75$.
Because there is a printed price guide available listing the price a person should pay for a bag of chips, or because by the time you've got $75 you know not to spend it on a bag of chips?
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

MasterKenobi wrote: You can also ask a GM, they are there to help you with these type of questions. (@wgm). :)

MK

Very bad advice, since I don't have a clue what price would be fair. And if it really is a GM's job to know that, I should be fired instantly.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)