Is Auto-Heal Illegal? (Debate for Whane's code)

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Amuk
Novice
Novice

Re: Is Auto-Heal Illegal? (Debate for Whane's code)

Post by Amuk »

Balthazaar wrote:
I would also recommend talking to the current administration here (platyna) to see if there are any changes or not in standing on the matter.
Best advice because when it comes down to it <Platyna> "I am Queen it is my server I make the rules.... yadda yadda yadda"
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Balthazaar wrote:This debate seems to be over as Dev's and GM's agree patching your client is legal as long as you are at the keyboard. See link below. Again YOU MUST BE AT THE KEYBOARD TO ANSWER AT ALL TIMES WHEN ACTIVE.
Here's a better angle. Why not send these these questionable scripts to the devs to let them decide what is worth keeping and what isn't? Once they determine how game balance this auto-everything affects, they can determine what they view as destructive.

Then they can tell the GM staff what these scripts are capable of doing. For example, if a botting character can answer a GM, the GM staff needs to know about this. Botters than can auto-answer questions put to them have effectively side-stepped the "basic" bot detection test.

Simply "releasing the script" (the encouragement of a troll) is short-sighted and selfish.
Last edited by Doulos on 30 Nov 2009, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Post by MoneyX »

No ignore that and just release the scripts
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Another note about releases: if you release a modified client binary, you are legally required under the GPL to make your modified source available.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

MoneyX wrote:No ignore that and just release the scripts
You're such an ass, Amun.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Doulos wrote:You're such an ass, Amun.
Easy, CaptainHornblower. It doesn't fit one GM to act like that.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

melkior wrote:Easy, CaptainHornblower. It doesn't fit one GM to act like that.
Ahh. I was wondering when you'd chime in.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Doulos wrote:Ahh. I was wondering when you'd chime in.
*shrugs* If you're calling out someone on hiding behind aliases, you should be ready for a taste of your own medicine.
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

melkior wrote:
Doulos wrote:You're such an ass, Amun.
Easy, CaptainHornblower. It doesn't fit one GM to act like that.
It's OK Mel...he isnt a GM anymore, remember? Now as CaptianHornblower it wouldnt fit, but as regular ol Doulos he can do or say anything he wants... :roll:
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

It's a shame so many are trying to turn this thread's direction everywhere to suit their agendas.

The question of various codes introduced into the game is serious enough, and I say this as a "player" (note my forum status). I can't imagine what this game will be like for new players a short six months from now if an elite group swaps all kinds of clever code with each other.

I can appreciate clever code: 4144's patch is full of it. But look at the two basic types of posts in this thread: "This would upset things for everyone" or "Yeah!!! Spread it around!! Who cares!!!"
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

Agendas? me I only have one agenda...getting more cookies...not like I was the one spouting off 'We dont need GMs' and then a month later wearing the hat...yay for hypocrisy! it keeps countries and games running!

Anyway...personally I think any bot that actually does anything but emote shouldnt be allowed in game. Auto healing takes the place of those who do heal...dont attach a bot to do the work of a player...if you die, walk back.

People in this game are getting too lazy...and apathetic...
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Doulos wrote:It's a shame so many are trying to turn this thread's direction everywhere to suit their agendas.
You being the first one to make such a diversion.
Doulos wrote:and I say this as a "player" (note my forum status).
I'm sorry but your in-game status says differently and excuse me for thinking that one is more important than the one on this troll-farm.
Doulos wrote:I can appreciate clever code: 4144's patch is full of it. But look at the two basic types of posts in this thread: "This would upset things for everyone" or "Yeah!!! Spread it around!! Who cares!!!"
Every patch set disturbs the balance of the game. Those with patched clients always have some kind of advantage against vanilla clients. Faster pick up, extra shortcuts, magic shortcuts... all those things which are lacking in the official client are the default setting of balance. As soon as you have 20 shortcuts, you're disturbing the balance.

Personally, I'm against healing bots in combat. I made one for the town and I'm sorry I ever made the damn thing heal anyone. It was a futile attempt to end the spam of "heal plx" screams which were repeated until someone fulfilled them. I figured if the Confused Tree answered those they'd be on their way faster.

I actually don't like being healed at all. This game is pretty boring. The only challenge I have these day is running around in normal clothes fighting things like crazy and trying to stay alive, but 2 dozen mages running behind me and healing me every 5 seconds completely and utterly ruin that for me. I've tried asking them to stop. Some listen. Many don't. Why would they when they get XP from healing me, even when I don't want to be healed?

A note to the devs: an inclusion of an item, which upon being equipped prevents the one wearing it from being healed by magic, would be awesome.

All that aside, the fact remains that all kinds of patches will appear because of the open source nature of this game and you can't stop it. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've automated in my client over the time. And it doesn't even show.

But there's another solution. Make #inma cost HP. Healing bots with #lum won't be as useful, #inma will be saved for dire situations and players will be buying healing stuff more which is always a good money sink.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

jaxad0127 wrote:Another note about releases: if you release a modified client binary, you are legally required under the GPL to make your modified source available.

Good point that I missed. :D
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

melkior wrote:A note to the devs: an inclusion of an item, which upon being equipped prevents the one wearing it from being healed by magic, would be awesome.
Maybe including a check box in the client near the "allow trading" and "allow whispers" settings. That says "allow healing by others" etc. Easier than keeping an item equipped that may take another slot from something else you might want to wear. Plus loosing the need for a item to be created.

I would be in favour of this as well. It is highly irritating to be healed when not requesting it also to have non party members heal you when you have a healer in your party needing the experience. (almost as irritating as having an archer take out the monster you are fighting as a warrior from across the way in front of you, but that's another story and post) Or another quick idea that just came to me allow healing by party members only.

And I know someone might say implement it. Which I would gladly work on it if I had the time but my family comes first and having a 6 month old takes priority. Maybe if it hasn't been worked on by the time I have time I will attempt it. But don't wait up because at this point I don't know when I would have the time. :wink:

Sorry bout the multipost...
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Post by MoneyX »

I am not Amun.. how you came to that conclusion I have no idea

Anyways you're the ass, Mr Suckup

Platyna ain't gonna give you any