Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
#155581 by Tirifto
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:46 am
Hello all!

I would like to bring up some issues related to the current translation system and find out what are the outlooks for the future. Translations are an important part of the game and I think the upcoming game merge (which brings many big changes) is a great opportunity to revise and improve the current translation system.

Translating in-game data should ideally be fairly a simple task. It should be possible for volunteers to follow clear instructions and participate without the need to do much research on their own.

Currently TMW uses the Transifex platform for translating game content. It seems that the only easy and straightforward way to use Transifex is trough its website. However, in order for the website to work properly, the user has to run non-free software on their computer. This is unacceptable, shouldn't be considered as a viable solution and should not be suggested to the user.

Unfortunately it seems that when a user wants to start translating, they are directed towards this website with no warning. There is a way to use Transifex without non-free software, but in my experience it is significantly more complicated and could confuse and deter potential translators. In any case, I did not find any official instructions from TMW on how to use Transifex freely.

Note: When I say free or non-free, I always talk about freedom, never about price.

I think it would be best if TMW migrated from Transifex onto a different platform which will respect the freedom of its users. I know this has been considered before and may be even planned. Zanata appears to fit the bill. Would it make a fine option for a future platform?
#155582 by WildX
Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 pm
You know my opinion on this. Just moving the topic to web development. :P
#155584 by Tirifto
Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:56 pm
WildX wrote:You know my opinion on this. Just moving the topic to web development. :P

Thank you, I wasn't sure which category to pick. As for your opinion, I forgot what it was. Could you maybe briefly explain it here? :?:
#155585 by gumi
Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:39 pm
WildX wrote:You know my opinion on this. Just moving the topic to web development. :P

Actually the correct place is content development, not web development as we're talking about in-game translation, not wiki translation.
#155594 by Reid
Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:28 am
Vasily started to make a graph tool to help us to manage and edit our translations, better wait for him to pop up again. :)
For now transifex is far from enough.
#155655 by Tirifto
Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:22 pm
Reid wrote:Vasily started to make a graph tool to help us to manage and edit our translations, better wait for him to pop up again. :)
For now transifex is far from enough.

I'm not sure what to imagine under a graph tool – could you please elaborate on what that is supposed to do a bit? I suppose Vasily is the one whom to ask for details, but is it something that will replace Transifex, or just supplement it? Because I think that when the game will be ready for translation, it will already be the time to move to a better platform. If the game is ready now, the platform should be changed as soon as circumstances permit it.
#155656 by Reid
Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:21 pm
You can imagine every sentences from a dialogue as nodes inside a big graph, some nodes are connected to other nodes.
These connections represent the continuity between each of these sentences.

Displaying everything that way help us to understand how to translate everything as we would know who is saying what, how and to who, while knowing what could possibly be said previously and after the current node.

Afaik the graph is working, Vasily completed the parsing of our scripts, what could be missing is a way to translate everything easily inside the web UI.