night- and day cycle (was: "hey")

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

night- and day cycle (was: "hey")

Post by shannonbrimer »

hey is there a night time on tmw if so why dont the game light dem and turn darker kind of like shadyer.
Emotional Warrior
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Re: hey

Post by baseballboy »

Hello, At one time you would get a message from the server saying "The night has fallen"and "The day has arrived" but i'm not sure what happened to it. There was no "dimming" though, it could be possible i am sure though
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: night- and day (was: "hey")

Post by Crush »

I fixed the topic title for you. Next time please try to find a more descriptive subject line than "hey".

On Topic:
A night- and day cycle would be nice, but so far we are still searching for a feasible technical solution which looks good, is easy to implement and doesn't rape your FPS.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
jcdvsrbld
Peon
Peon

Re: night- and day cycle (was: "hey")

Post by jcdvsrbld »

seems like the tilesets would completely have to be modified
"quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
August Knight
Novice
Novice

Re: night- and day cycle (was: "hey")

Post by August Knight »

Not all true JDuran, I've seen it done as an "effect"(ambient fx) such as fog or clouds or sandstorms could enhance this feature. Where you could have dimming effects at certain time periods programmed in the game.

In addition to adding possible ambient sound effects, to enhance this.

Again this would should be an optional effect, much like you can drag the slider off for ambient fx, if the fps limits are being abused by such system.

Edit:

shannonbrimer, Please look at An attempt to make day/night cycles in TMW thread created by v0id
if you're running this on linux you can test v0id's night/day/dawn effects.
they appear to have a few ideals on it as well.