An attempt to make day/night cycles in TMW

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: An attempt to make day/night cycles in TMW

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Then everything will need to be dyed or it'll standout. Have fun doing that with the player sprites.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Axalix wrote:Why can't you apply the same mechanisms that are being used while coloring the items (clothes)?
Because this mechanism doesn't work that way. You can't just recolor any image. The image has to be designed in a special way to allow recoloring.

When you are creating an image which is supposed to have recolorable parts (no, the effect is not applied to the whole image - only to special parts of it) you can only use specific color palettes.

Creating a whole tileset which uses recoloring is not impossible but very, very difficult.

On the other hand: Just applying a color filter is 5 mouse clicks in Gimp.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm going to be against implementing day/night cycles until we have a huge oversupply of pixel talent.
This message used to be meaningful.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I didn't read the entire thread yet, but has anyone thought of an "ambiance" graphic that can be attached to an object (lightpost, candle, mehnir) that nullifies the night overlay. That way a silver lightpost is affected by night (by appearing slightly bluer) but the light emitted by it and the area around it are not affected by the night overlay. Also, maybe objects should have a "night version" like a lightpost won't be lit during the day ...