Woodland Village

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Woodland Village

Post by Crush »

a new tileset, a new thread.

i really tried to make something for the savannah tileset, but everything i made came out as crap. so i decided to stick to the things i can do and make a woodland village tileset. here is the first impression:
note: the doorway won't stay such a black uninviting rectangle. i just need a good idea for the door.

comments? suggestions for improvements? ideas? i am open for everything.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think it's too civilized and.. well.. "mechanical and precise".

I also think the forrest people should have something more organic. Possibly even the cliché of houses within trees.
This message used to be meaningful.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

yeah remember the zergs in starcraft ;)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I woudlnt have it all the same...

maybe a different type of wood or color for the roof or something
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

hmm this house may suite for a lumberjack living alon in the forest..

but for a forest village i think people should live in big trees :)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

err... maybe in the next tileset.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

the roof could use some more structure, and/or a different color. also, the house looks like it's only like 2 meters deep (okay, that's actually more of a mapping issue... nevermind)
i'm not sure if the windows should have glass in them (too "high-tech" imho). how about leaving them empty and adding some shutters (link) instead?
also, the door opening looks a little too narrow.
as for ideas for the actual door, i think "two-part style" doors (link) would fit quite well...
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

The first improvement I can see is wood texture. In my opinion it seems too noisy, too random, I think wood should look a bit more linear. Furthermore I think contrast could be increased a bit and using different colors could improve it a lot, I was thinking about some yellowish/orangish veins.

The second improvement I can see is about the roof, I think it could look different from the rest of the structure. It's just an idea, but maybe using tables instead of logs?

About the window, well it doesn't look like glass to me.
Necromus
Peon
Peon

Post by Necromus »

looks good, I just think it needs more contrast. Maybe more shading and color variation could give it a more natural look. The glass should be a lighter color as well.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

new version of the house:
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

personally, i liked the old wood texture better, but of course, elven's always right ^_^
i like the new roof design, but the top (the vertical line where the two halves meet) still looks a little straight.

how about a doorstep, and/or a little light shining through the door, showing some of the floor inside? the grass/black frontier at the door looks just too weird... (or did you plan to only do a closed door? if so, feel free to ignore me...)
for variation, maybe add some <german>astlöcher</german> or even remainders of branches here and there to the front. and try logs of variating girth.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I agree this is not the forest village I had in mind. It's way too civilised and straight.
Maybe huts would be better. Walls made of woven branches. Roofs covered with big leafs.

About this cottage... I walls need some improvement considdering lighting. The beams look as if they are lit from the top because they have a simple gradient as lightmap. If they were lit from the top the beams should be lit at all and therefor it looks as if the wall is perpendicular to the camera. The highlights should be a bit lower, suggesting the lighting shines slant.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://www.gdmc.nl/oosterom/aus/.pic6/r_torres.jpg

This is closer to what I had in mind. (Naturally a modified version of this to suit the raw materials available.)

http://www1.visitvictoria.com/content/2 ... _u_345.jpg

Perhaps this is a better reference.. :roll:

But anyway: make it more organic, please.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen wrote:http://www.gdmc.nl/oosterom/aus/.pic6/r_torres.jpg
This is closer to what I had in mind. (Naturally a modified version of this to suit the raw materials available.)
african jungle style? sorry, i don't like that at all.
http://www1.visitvictoria.com/content/2 ... _u_345.jpg
Perhaps this is a better reference.. :roll:
that's something we can talk about.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:
Rotonen wrote:http://www.gdmc.nl/oosterom/aus/.pic6/r_torres.jpg
african jungle style? sorry, i don't like that at all.
It's almost exactly the thing I had in mind.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io