Rare Spawns

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Goul
Peon
Peon

Rare Spawns

Post by Goul »

I was thinking of an idea to make TMW less repetitive and I came up with this: Why not have rare spawns that spawn randomly appear with monsters of their type (Attachment 2)? They could have a different color to show they are different from the normal monsters (Attachment 1). They would give more EXP and better drops but would be stronger in terms of HP and attack.

Anyway, I've attached two images. Attachment 2 is an example of where a blue fire goblin might spawn and attachment 1 is what it would look like (recolor of fire golbin in GIMP).
Attachments
monster-goblin-blue-fire.png
monster-goblin-blue-fire.png (14.74 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
blue-fire-goblin-area.png
blue-fire-goblin-area.png (94.49 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Rare Spawns

Post by Crush »

Another way to add miniboss monsters to the current server without investing much work would be to use the normal graphics of a monster and add a particle effect to it to denote its special status.

By the way: One idea for Manaserv is to have randomly generated quests with randomly generated individual boss monsters. These boss monsters would have randomly generated stats (inside of certain constraints, of course) and use normal monster sprites but with a random colorisation.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Falloutboy
Novice
Novice

Post by Falloutboy »

Hmm this blue goblin already exist in aethyra
-> water goblin
falloutboy (94) _Atreyu_ (73)
since 2006
Goul
Peon
Peon

Post by Goul »

Falloutboy wrote:Hmm this blue goblin already exist in aethyra
-> water goblin
Yeah, it's just a recolor with GIMP (Tools > Hue/Saturation), so I'm not really surprised someone has done it already.
Crush wrote:Another way to add miniboss monsters to the current server without investing much work would be to use the normal graphics of a monster and add a particle effect to it to denote its special status.
Yeah, it could also be spawned in a certain place and an NPC might tell you about it or send you on a quest. It's very simple but it would make the game better in the sense that people would team up to kill it and it would stop people from endlessly killing the same monster.