Most important game aspect to focus development on next

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

In your opinion, what is the most important aspect of tmwAthena content to focus on next?

1) Monster stat rebalancing
19%
2) PvP refactoring
4%
2) Dealing with inflation
6%
4) Permanent content additions
45%
5) None of the above, focus on manaserv
26%

Total votes: 47
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Most important game aspect to focus development on next

Post by enchilado »

As Freeyorp asked on IRC.

In my opinion, the first thing to do is rebalancing the stats. After that, new permanent content releases (monsters, quests, maps etc) whilst dealing with the inflation. Once that's done, PvP could use a fix or two (personally, I'd like to see an Elo rating system for 1v1 challenges, as well as team PvP, Free-for-All and perhaps some other types).
Then content development until the vast majority of players have migrated to the manaserv server.

What do you think?
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Most important game aspect to focus development on next

Post by Leela »

i voted for adding things because Mistakes told me so.

- actually i think there is MUCH to do on this server. devs should of course work on mana serv but not only.
monsters are ookaaay in my opinion.
- pvp in some areas would be very cool (people like pvp, they just don't like walking half tmw to go and pay for getting killed in the arena), and dieng by getting killed by a player withing a certain range (for example +-10 of your own level) should give you a disadvantage like being warped to a random map or so.
- of course content is needed very much. especially quests for high levels. (i am working on one atm) And as long as the item you will get from a quest is not hat number 1000 it would be very cool to also release some items. Maybe get some quests that have been, in the game permanently. why not leave a christmas quest in nivalis or so... you know?
But i gave up on thinking that stuff will be released... (that is the reason why i didn't wanna vote in the first place, and that is why i now try to make a quest even without knowledge of those things)

cu ingame Leela
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I chose inflation. This can be dealt with by a single quest and pre-existing items.
my secound would be pvp. I don't like walking to tulimshire to spar with a friend who is just going to zap my non magic using ass anyway. Than Content content content. Maybe inflation and content can be put togeather some how.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

What does "balancing the stats" mean?
This message used to be meaningful.
iceslice
Warrior
Warrior

Post by iceslice »

manaserv > content > monster stat > pvp > inflation

1 day tmw will be obsolete. Why putting higher priority on ?
Lets Chase MDGs...

ManaPortable (Vanilla Mana + ManaPlus) -- run 'em portably

http://manaportable.1sourceplus.com
http://manamac.1sourceplus.com
Game Server >> jadu.1sourceplus.org , jadu.1sourceplus.com

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:What does "balancing the stats" mean?
Make sane.
iceslice wrote:1 day tmw will be obsolete. Why putting higher priority on ?
I'll take down the server then.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Make sane.
Now what does that mean? What stats? How?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:
Make sane.
Now what does that mean? What stats? How?
Like you were talking about on IRC.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Which was not really said out loud in this conversation yet.

Also what I've been ranting about is to start with rescuing gameplay mechanics and capping the highest monster levels to 50 and scaling down the rest of monster levels on a testing server.

I want an AGI/LUK character (my favorite build approach) to be sensible to play.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

For the 8 people that said none of the above please explain your reasons. None of the above is not specific enough and does not help the developers much also if you chose content what would you specificly, seriously want to see in tmw. Something that you think is acceptable and is not going to lead off topic discussion please.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

i voted for content. At level 95 the only thing i have left beyond level 99 is to accumulate money and buy rares. I would like to see things like party only quests, quests for levels 90+, perhaps new weapons such as the roc knife intro'd for only lvls 85+ or something similar.

There seems to be two spots in TMW where a player is likely to quit, around level 55 and 95. Level 55 because you are too weak for the graveyard and too strong to run mobs in caves. Its a stale point. Level 95 because you realize you are almost at the end and there is nothing left for you to do. I think that if there were quests for the highest levels with strong bosses and big xp bonuses that require 4 other players it would peak the interest in some of the highest levels
sexy red bearded GM
Jorad
Peon
Peon

Post by Jorad »

meway wrote:For the 8 people that said none of the above please explain your reasons. None of the above is not specific enough and does not help the developers much also if you chose content what would you specificly, seriously want to see in tmw. Something that you think is acceptable and is not going to lead off topic discussion please.
I put none of the above because if we move forward with manaserv then we can worry about adding permanent content and the such. No use developing for a soon to be replaced system
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Jorad wrote:
meway wrote:For the 8 people that said none of the above please explain your reasons. None of the above is not specific enough and does not help the developers much also if you chose content what would you specificly, seriously want to see in tmw. Something that you think is acceptable and is not going to lead off topic discussion please.
I put none of the above because if we move forward with manaserv then we can worry about adding permanent content and the such. No use developing for a soon to be replaced system
It will take time for manaserv to be in a state to replace tmwAthena. And tmwAthena will be kept running until no one wants to play it any more.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It's a matter of fact, that we have over 100 players on the current server who 1. are in desperate need for new content and 2. are willing to create this content themself as long as there are people who guide and support them. This is where the current tmwAthena content management is failing - the workforce is there, it just needs to be channelized.

Also keep in mind that everyone who makes good experience with working for tmwAthena is very likely to also contribute to the Manaserv content when they are properly integrated into the team.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.