Spells...

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Necron
Peon
Peon

Spells...

Post by Necron »

The other day a friend of mine showed me The Mana World game and from what I saw I liked it. I told him to cast a spell and he said that there arent very many if any :( .

With that in mine I have made some spells for RPG Maker 2000 and still have a few around and was wondering if you all would like them. Right now they are in .png format, but with little or no effort I can make them animated .gifs if needed. All I would need is a generic character file to match the size of the spells to the hero...

For right all I could find are the following spells;

Lightning
Ice
Earth
Paralyze
... thats a sad story about nothing.

-Necron
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

there aren't any specifications for the magic effects yet. when you need the propotions, the new base playerset will be this:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/images/d/d ... alaroc.png
(spritesize: 32x64 pixels)

why don't you just show us what you got?

we would prefer to have them as png. gif is as a propietary format not suitable for an open source project. but of course you can present them to us as animated gifs to show us how they look when animated.

but i should warn you: it could take some time until you can see them ingame. the developers are currently working on a replacement of the server software. there won't be any significant gameplay additions until they are far enough to replace the current server software. and that may take some months.
Necron
Peon
Peon

Sample

Post by Necron »

Heres the Lightning spell -
Had to make it smaller... Plus I have the free time to convert or make new spells if youd like. I had a rpg long ago, about 4 or so months put into it and got a lovely virus and lost everything but the spells and some backgrounds :cry: .

-Necron
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

SWeet! i hope the Spells interface is the next thing to add to TMW thanks for the help ideas are great!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

related threads:

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=987

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=119

note that the graphics in the 2nd thread will not be used because they a) haven't got enough animation phases and b) turned out to be stolen. but they are a very good inspiration.

Important questions to the core dev team:
will the spells at http://wiki.themanaworld.org/Magic_master_list be inplemented like that or is this just an undiscussed draft? we graphic designers have to know that to make the needed animations.
Necron
Peon
Peon

Spells

Post by Necron »

Quite a list of spells lol. I have found 3 of my old spells, the lightning one as seen above, an ice one (doesnt look right to me anymore) and an earth one. I created all the spell animations myself so you wont have to worry about that :D, and I am willing do work on animations in between my job, which offers me alot of free time.

I figure for now I can just make/convert my spells and I can leave the specific name to you all. My usual time frame is like a spell an hour so in one night I might be able to get 2 or so done, and as for posting the pics I wont be able to post all them for you to see... I have no place to link from lol. I had to use a friends account for the Lightning :S.

-Necron
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Metalcore
Peon
Peon

Post by Metalcore »

the lightning spell is very nice, but isn't it a bit much for an MMO? especially since our characters are less than half the size. I personally think a simple lightning spell should just be, say, the victim surrounded by a halo of sparks.
It may be a bit overused, but it's small, efficient, and people know it's a lightning spell.
Evan
Necron
Peon
Peon

Spells

Post by Necron »

Yeah the spell is alittle to big but thats not a big deal to resize it, it was about 5x larger than that lol.

Thx for info about image shack, now if need be I can post images like this one :P :D

Ice spell... dunno I just dont like it for some reason.

-Necron
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Hello Necron and welcome to our community! :D
After looking at your animations adding magick attacks is really tempting me, but I guess that won't be very soon for serious reasons as Crush already expressed. Anyway we will very grateful if you can contribute with more spells. We have also many other available positions in the graphics departement, if you're interested.

Crush: well that's the only suitable document we have about magic, it is not final of course, it could undergo modifications based on your suggestions as well :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Spells

Post by Crush »

Necron wrote:Image
i know why you don't like it: it looks like the AOL logo :)
Last edited by Crush on 23 Nov 2005, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

yeah it does!...

i just think it should get to the Big ice full part and explode into shards not Slowly deteriorate
Necron
Peon
Peon

Spells

Post by Necron »

Now that you mention it, it does look like the AOL thingy... *shudders* Yeah, ok thats getting deleted.

ElvenProgrammer - I havent really worked on anything but spells and background designs. Other than that just name it and I can have a go at it. As the the spell list I did it the cheap way when I was playing around with RPGM lol, Fire, Fire 2, Fire 3, and something that would hit an aoe for 4th spell lvl :D .

-Necron
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Let's start with saying they're definitaly not bad.
They're not amazing, though.

They don't really have a powerful feeling with them. This is the hardest part of spell effects (or any animation in general), and it's very important if you want to wow the players... or anyone else.

Our engine supports alhpa-layered PNGs... feel free to use this alpha layer for special effects. ie A subtle glow around the lightning thingy or things fading in/out.
Btw, you know the flash is green? Generally I like green energy effects. But for a lightning I prefer a light, low saturated blue.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i made something, too: