regarding maps .

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

skipy
Knight
Knight

regarding maps .

Post by skipy »

i was playing some older games ...and a idea came to me :idea: that brings more questions to my head..

as far as mapping gos ..do we need to make a tile-set for every new map or can we render one in a program like gimp..????
i ask cos the (not fully jelled yet) ideas i have would work better if it was drawn out as 1 pic and not made up of tiles ...of cores this would be silly on big maps ,but small specialty maps such as (which's hut in swamp,tree house,gingerbread-house,land-fill/junk yard,salmon hatchery,geyser,beached sub-boat-ship, etc etc) i think would work good in thay way.....

what do you think???????

-skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Re: regarding maps .

Post by Turmfalke »

as long as the image at the end is a multiple of our 32*32 tiles it should be no problem, but one good reason to use tiles is that you can reuse them without downloading everything again.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There is nothing wrong with designing important areas of interest on maps in a graphic editor instead of Tiled. But the drawback is that your work will not be reusable for other maps and any map modifications for gameplay reasons afterwards will be hard to do. But when the area is unique enough that this doesn't matter I see no reason not to do it.

However I wouldn't use this technique for areas larger than one screen. Not for technical reasons but because you will take forever when you want to do it in a quality level which justifies this effort.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

thanks for getting back to me :) ..

i will post my idea when i can get it out of my head...

-skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana