Deathly Hallows - A grim reaper quest

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Acegi
Novice
Novice

Deathly Hallows - A grim reaper quest

Post by Acegi »

This post is inspired from the cursed item topic.

I quite like the idea of this "death stick"/"elder wand" concept similar to the Deathly Hallows in JK Rowling's last Harry Potter book. It should be a quest. For those that don't know this ministory, there were 3 brothers who cheated death by magically creating a bridge over a river that has claimed many lives. Death decides to take their lives in a less obvious way by appearing to them and giving them each a gift. The first brother asked for a wand ("Elder Wand") that always won battles, the second was a stone that granted resurrection of departed souls and the third asked for an invisibility cloak.

Eventually all the brothers lose their lives to Death but point is, a Manaworld version of a fairy tale like this could be a really interesting team quest. Relating back to this topic when the Grim Reaper boss is released he has to be tackled by teams of 3 players each and drops 3 magical items too, that each team member could get. To leave this boss map they must pass a check that prevents 1 character from taking more than 1 item. Team members can die and not pick up an item but no player can leave with more than 1 item so they have to retry with another team.

The dropped items could have special effects so:
1) The "Death Stick" or "Elder Wand" could be the cursed item in this post: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=11247 disappearing away after % chance or a few uses.
2) A "Resurrection Stone" that lets you die and respawn with full health back where you were killed once/twice (then disappearing too)
3) An "Invisibility Cloak" that lets you wander invisible through aggro monster maps eventually disappearing perhaps time based after clicking "use".

It'd be best to try and create new unique items that have spectacular effects that will be "reclaimed by Death" and the quest replayed rather than just a few items that give a random + in some stat like a normal outfit item.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Leo
Novice
Novice

Re: Deathly Hallows - A grim reaper quest

Post by Leo »

Nice! I like the idea! Keep working on it. :D
Level 74 now, wooh! xD :) (My main char is now Leo!) Image

~Invaders, possibly from space!~
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

You got one part wrong though - The brother who got the Cloak was the only one who avoided death until his natural time, because even Death couldn't see him while he wore it. Hence, why Harry Potter ends up with it :P.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Acegi
Novice
Novice

Post by Acegi »

Well Death got him eventually which was the point. An invisi cloak to hide from monsters wouldn't be permanent! =P
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

JK Rowling's Harry Potter books are good and all (not a fan)..but there just that "JK Rowling's Harry Potter books" and not the mana world...
and im not sure if there already plans for him(reaper)...
the idea of cheating death is what got me started on pixeling the reaper...as players we never really die ,just port back to town with some minor flesh wounds(with the npc rock)...i was hopeing if a quest was made of/for the reaper it would be some thing that gets you to reflect on what death is and what it is to go on living ...
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Backstory (cant find graveyard-story) the things to think about relating to the mana world as far as i know it (see link).. is when some thing dies the mana inside is released....if some thing is undead and you kill it, it releases some mana....and as players we never truly die or release mana...(not sure if im right,its just how i understand it) .......now im sure the reaper dose not like this one bit (all the not dieing going on)...but am unsure how a story for a quest can be done with this...teams of players(or just 2) going in with a door lock-out is a good idea(like Candor)...the drops for the reaper hmmm maybe he drops the parts you need to make the 1 of 3 things??..what drive the quest is unique items that have spectacular effects that will be "reclaimed by Death" and the quest replayed ...

(imo) it needs to tie in to the grave-yard story or mana world history or both

--------------------------------------------------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Acegi wrote:Well Death got him eventually which was the point. An invisi cloak to hide from monsters wouldn't be permanent! =P
Only because the man revealed himself and let Death take him.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i rather like the old brothers grimm tale...and there maybe npc,s(sick-girl in bed,tailors,doctor,care taker, etc) in place already that can play off on such a story(or some thing similar)...... also i was thinking about the karma system and sagatha ,what if you some how you cant see or go to death(reaper) until you kill enough happy woodland creatures....
i like the name "father death" better then reaper (like father time or father x-mass)...just ideas

i have started trying to learn how to script a little (dont know if you can do some thing unless you try :wink: ) for the "hand of death" so may try to script this (if no one wants to or if you do- feel free to do so ,cant hurt imo)

to all/any DEV-------i would also like to know if a new map is needed ..or tile-set..i have never made a tile-set and may not be the best but i can try ..(also welcome any and all help)..
----------also if im wasting my time PLEASE let me know....

all that being said heres the old brothers grimm tale.(((((story-time))))

http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrgodfatherD.html

Once upon a time there was a poor tailor who could barely feed his twelve children. When the thirteenth was born, the distraught man ran out to the road nearby determined to find someone to stand as godfather to the child. He knew of no other way that he could provide for his newborn son. The first person to pass was God, but the poor tailor rejected him. "God gives to the rich and takes from the poor. I'll wait for another to come." The second to pass was the Devil, but the poor tailor rejected him too. "He lies and cheats and leads good men astray. I'll wait for another." The third man to pass was Death, and the poor tailor considered him carefully. "Death treats all men alike, whether rich or poor. He's the one I'll ask."
Now Death had never been asked such a thing before, but he agreed at once. "Your child shall lack for nothing," he said, "for I am a powerful friend indeed." The years went by and he kept his word. The boy and his family lacked for nothing. When the boy finally came of age, his Godfather Death appeared before him. "It is time to establish you in the world. You are to become a great physician. Take this magical herb, the cure for any malady of this earth. Look for me when you're called to a patient's bed. If you see me at its head then give them a tincture of the herb and your patient will be well. But if you see me at the foot, you'll know it is their time to die. Your diagnosis will always be right, and you will be famous around the world."

And so it was. The young man became the most famous doctor of his time, and his fame spread far and wide until it reached the ears of the king. The king lay sick in his golden bed and he summoned the tailor's son to him. But when the young doctor arrived at last in the richly appointed bedchamber, he saw that the king was gravely ill and that Death stood at his feet. Now this king was much beloved and the young man wanted to cure him very much. He quickly instructed the court attendants to turn the bed the opposite way, and he then restored the king to health with a tincture of the magical herb. Death was not pleased. He shook his long, bony finger at his godson and said, "You must never cheat me again. If you do, it will be the worse for you."

The young man took this warning to heart and did not cross his godfather again — until the king's daughter fell ill and he was summoned back to the palace. This was the good king's only child. He was desperate to see her well. "Save her life," said the king, "I shall give you her hand in marriage." The doctor went to the lovely maiden's bedchamber, where Death was waiting. He stood at the foot of the princess's bed, ready to take her away. "Don't cross me again," his godfather warned, but the doctor was half in love already. He ordered the princess's bed to be turned and he gave her the herbal tincture.

The princess was healed immediately, but Death reached out a cold, white hand and clamped it on his godson's arm, saying. "You'll go with me instead." He took the young man into a cave, its wall niches covered with millions of candles. "Here," he said, "are candles burning for every life upon the earth. Each time a candle grows low and snuffs out, a life is ended. This one is yours." Death pointed to a candle that had burned down to a pool of wax. "Please," his godson begged, "for many years I was your faithful servant. Please, Godfather Death, won't you light a new candle for me?" Death gazed at him remorselessly. The candle sputtered and flickered out. The young doctor fell down dead.

thanks for reading....click on the link to see more grim-reaper info and where i got this story :mrgreen:

-----------------------------------------------------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana