[WIP] Reaper quest

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Reaper quest

Post by Alige »

I realised that taking other's job was easy and guaranteed a good job. That is why I am sorry to tell you that I started everything from scratch. Wombat told me that it needed to be quite small, smaller than the diamond. Here is what I made, I thought it might be a good item. What do you think of it?
bloodstone.png
bloodstone.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
@Crush: Thank you for stopping this massacre.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

bd (copy).png
bd (copy).png (394 Bytes) Viewed 2278 times
Bs.png
Bs.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
I gave this concept a shot as a fantasy stone...
I added the drop of blood in case anyone else wants to give it a shot.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Nice work on the drop of blood, it is better than the one on TAW IMO.
However, I don't think adding the drop of blood on the 2nd image is good... :)
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Ali-G
re blood diamond: I know the reference pic has a green stone with red flecks, but what if you reversed the red and green on your version. I think it would look better if it were red with a few bits of green in it. Maybe if its not too much work, try adding edges to the surface like a cut gemstone has, kind of like the 2nd pic from salmondine.

salmondine: The blood drop looks great. I think it would be perfect for a new status effect icon, but some coding will need to be done for the effect. The blood drop inside the gemstone looks a bit contrived though, the gem looks better by itself.

MAPPING REQ:

I know Argul/Pjotr did the original crypt map (027-3). I was hoping he, or someone he approves of, could make a few additions. Mostly I need to have 30 caskets placed in the map for a puzzle (already added to the crypt fringe tileset). I already have a few placed near the start of the map (near the gate and candles). The map needs to be made larger and the caskets spread out through the new sections. It would be great if about 1/2 the caskets are hard to find or hard to get to. The other half can be placed obviously in the centers of rooms and such.

I had a rough plan for the crypt expansion:

1. The original start area stays as is - no mobs.
2. The room directly above #1 with the blood pools and caskets - add vampire bats
3. A new section attached to the right of #2, has some caskets - vampire bats + zombies
4. A new section attached below #3, has caskets - vampire bats + fallen
5. A new section attached to the right of #4, has caskets - fallen + The Lost
6. A new section attached above #5, has caskets - The Lost
7. The original section to the right of #2, stays as is - place the new shadow mobs when they are added to repo
8. The original stairs leading to the reaper room, stays as is (keep attached to #7) - a few shadow mobs

I will be busy with personal stuff until the 15th. I hope this can be ready by then. A test release of the quest will follow a few days after.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Is it better like that?
Attachments
bloodstone.png
bloodstone.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Sorry Im still busy with other stuff this is the first chance I got to check back on the forums. A few more days still and then I will get back to finishing up the quest. BTW I dont see any reply about the crypt expansion I asked about. I guess when I am more free I can push the subject more.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

You are talking to Argul aka Pjotr when you are talking about this map. How about you direct your comments to him instead of to anyone, since that is the person working on this map. Try PMing them or use the IRC channels we have for development. He is usually on.
Current character is "Abolish".
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

nmaligec wrote:Sorry Im still busy with other stuff this is the first chance I got to check back on the forums. A few more days still and then I will get back to finishing up the quest. BTW I dont see any reply about the crypt expansion I asked about. I guess when I am more free I can push the subject more.
If I understood you right, there are tilesets missing for the 2 different versions of crypt?
That is why i paused the mapping until the tilesets are done, no?
---
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Can I get an update on this quest?

Just about everything is complete for the graveyard inn other than this quest. We did extend the deadline for it, but if we can get it done early, it would be awesome.

What needs to be done? What is missing?
Current character is "Abolish".
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Mostly waiting on graphics and sound.

still need:
1. Complete shadow mob
2a. Incorporate the newly added bits for the reaper sprite sheet and test the updated boss fight.
2b. Might need adjustments for the new reaper graphics.
3. Boss fight bgm and some necessary sound effects.
4. Dialogue for most of what alacrius says.
5. Mapping update to 027-3 and possibly 027-4.
6. Mob placement in 027-3.
7. The death hand functionality.
8. Inventory icon touch ups for the broken reaper blade.

Note: the walls in 027-3 need to be at least 4 tiles high for consistency with some 4 tile high walls. It might be nice to make all walls 5 tiles high to give it an 'overwhelming' feeling.

If no one has time to do the map, I guess I can make the updates myself. If someone does the mapping, I can tackle #7.

Once I finish 2a, then I will post a git patch and mark the relevant REQ topics as FND. Everything after that is just cosmetic (but important).

PS If the gy-inn food items 784-790 I added are going to be used, their use effect needs to be updated. I just put them in quickly with a default 50 hp heal.