stat bonuses from rings

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: stat bonuses from rings

Post by Crush »

Moved to content development and removed posts made with accounts which are not allowed to post in strict moderation forums.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Well only the *very grinding* players should have the chance to get the *very* best stuff available.

Not everybody should have such a gemring with 7 gems.

So Crush's idea seems good to me.
Maybe it can be changed that it goes with the power of 7...
i dont know.
---
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Currently, Crush's idea works the best with how we are considering an integration of an RO-like equipment tier system. The rings start with no bonus and need crafted more and more to get higher bonuses, with the potential to break during the process, as well as consuming a lot of difficult to get resources to get them more powerful.

Simple Rings will never be sold and will be offered through a variety of one-shot quests as rewards, so people can improve their rings by placing gemstones in them, but need to be careful about how powerful they try to get them, else they lose the ring in the process of creation. I'd still like to hear ideas, though I am feeling we are close to a solid definition of how this will work and what exactly the rings will give bonuses to.

I'm also wanting to discover "why" they give bonuses. Is it simply because of magic, do the gems themselves represent some sort of magical force or is it because of the type of color they have. These things all matter to why these gems behave the way they do.

Everyone's thoughts are appreciated on discovering the potential power of these rings and why they hold it.
Current character is "Abolish".
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I like crush's idea. But I think we don't need it to scale so high.

I have a concept thou that might work well. You get these raw gems but you have to get them "cut".
When you get them cut you have the chance to get 1 out of 3 grades of gemstone.
For example:

Lesser [Stone Name]: +1 to stat
Greater [Stone Name]: +2 to stat
Perfect [Stone Name]:+5 to stat

Of course the odds of getting a perfect should be around 1% so theoretically you would have to get 100 gems cut just to get a perfect cut. This would make the hardcore grinders work for that perfect gem. I wouldn't do more then 3 maybe 4 grades of stones. Seems to work well in WOW's crafting system for gem stones. They have 3 grades. Now they also have it where you can get a perfect cut on a lesser stone so technically there is 4 grades. (not counting JC only gems)
Lots of people have ideas about this. I'll keep my ear to the ground and see what people think.

As far as the reason "why" these gems give bonuses: I think that the crafter infuses the gem with mana energy and once a gem is infused it produces a different effect based on what the gem is. Maybe it was something learned by transmutation wizards that was taught to the crafter. I would assume that mana beings use magic in whatever there area of specialty is. A blacksmith might use invocation to help the steel harden or to create an extra sharp edge on a blade. The concept of a crafter being able to fuse the energy into the stone dosn't seem like a far fetched thing in TMW.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Wombat wrote:Simple Rings will never be sold and will be offered through a variety of one-shot quests as rewards, so people can improve their rings by placing gemstones in them, but need to be careful about how powerful they try to get them, else they lose the ring in the process of creation.
That doesn't sound right IMO. When you only get a fixed number of rings ever through quests it would be very, very frustrating to lose them through bad luck.

When the rings can break it should be possible (though not necessarily easy) to replace them.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Well, I'm keeping the rings as quest rewards and not a buyable item, so perhaps the destruction will only be to the gemstones (and other ingredients) for the sake of the problem you mentioned Crush. If this seems to conflict with our future crafting schemes, I'll rethink this, but for now this seems a reasonable compromise to introduce the equipment tier system **and** offer a quest item that remains interesting even if it is offered 6 times in the game.
Current character is "Abolish".
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Okay, I have a couple of vague ideas for the reasoning for the gems being magical, and affecting stats.

1 - The Mana Seed could have become unstable, transforming the previously useless crystals in the mines into various gems with magical properties.

2 - Auldsbel has finally reunited with his apprentice, Padric, only for it to end in tragedy. While testing out a new spell to transmute a person into a monster temporarily (or turn them invisible, etc) in the new mines, Auldsbel's spell backfired, leaving him with a huge pile of gems and no apprentice. (I know, silly, mostly a joke, but it Would explain the stats, being pieces of his own stats hahaha). Of course, before Auldsbel could try to turn him back, he was swarmed by the native monsters and lost, forever.

3 - The terranites might have a liking for shiny objects, explaining why they're attracted to gems (not to mention the ends of our knives). Terranites seem magical in nature, having magic resistant skin and all, so perhaps their residual magic has rubbed off. This could account for the stats, or like someone said, maybe the process of the jeweller putting the gem into a ring has some magical aspect, that unlocks the energy left inside the stones?

Yeah I'm out for now, feel free to use (or just laugh at) these :P.

**oh, one more dumb one**
4 - While attempting to make a stronger than usual batch of iron and concentration potions, along with some new stat boosting potions she'd been working on, Wyara's attempt failed, leaving her with the crystallized remains of her potions. Like all failed experiments, she disposes of these in the mines. (Alternately, she could have been pouring these potions on crystal deposits to see if they would take on the effects, but been swarmed by monsters, who are suddenly attracted to the gems.)
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
JackDeth
Novice
Novice

Post by JackDeth »

I have an idea which I've run by a few folks and they like it, so I'll share. First I want to say that getting the ring, and having it fitted is too expensive. I don't have another suggestion on that, though, so I'll leave that up to others. Also, I think we're getting way too complicated with different "grades" etc. I mean, 15k+ gems to get a +7 bonus is a little excessive.

I think the Mana World itself contains an amount of inherent mana (ie. magic). This magic may be what gives things life, growth, etc... There are certain places in the land which are focal points which magic is concentrated and released. The mana seed being the biggest. Some caves may also be releasing magic, but the gems in these caves seem to have the ability to absorb and harness the magic. Each gem is a different color and has different properties which will cause the trapped magic to affect/interact with people differently (ie. one color gives STR, one gives, AGI, DEX, etc...). Monsters pick these gems up because they like "shiny things".

I think that we should give people the option of creating their own customised ring. Each ring has seven facets. Since there are 6 gem colors to correspond the six stats, each color will affect a specific stat, as mistakes suggested hinted at. For each gemstone that is fitted to a ring it will give that person a +1 to the stat corresponding to that color - up to a maximum of +6. So, for example, if a red gemstone gives a person +1 to DEX, then they could fit a ring with 6 red gems to get +6 to their DEX. But this will also give them the option of fitting other colors. So if blue stones give +1 to STR, they could fit the ring with 4 red and 2 blue - so they get +4 DEX and +2 STR.

My thought for the center setting would be to allow space for a pearl. Now I don't know if this is possible, but they would have to have at least 1 gemstone of any color fitted to the ring before they could fit a pearl. The pearl would grant a +1 bonus to whatever the highest number of any single color of gem their ring contains. So, let's say they have 4 red gems (+4 DEX) and 2 blue gems (+2 STR), then they would get an extra +1 to their DEX making it +5 total. If they have 3 of one color and 3 of another, they get +1 to both. If the pearl idea can't be accomplished, then I'd say just stick with 6 settings total. The properties of the pearl cause it to amplify the highest concentration of magic in its vicinity.

Now, as an afterthought, to keep this within reason for most people, people will not only have to hunt for the colors they want, but then pay....oh, I dunno, let's say 100,000gp to have a single stone fitted. Say, and installation fee. Or maybe have a graduated scale for that.

First gem - 25k
Second gem - 50k
Third gem - 75k
Fourth gem - 100k
Fifth gem - 150k
Sixth gem - 200k
Pearl - 25k

- Jackdeth
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

jack's post seems reasonable to me. Pricing things out of the range of the average player should be avoided, in my opinion.
sexy red bearded GM
Alons
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alons »

I agree with getting the price for it a bit down... maybe a range between 100k - 200k per gem would be enough, since many people would make them in that case.

It's only an opinion since my player-point-of-view, I hope more ideas and opinions can be thrown here :) .

Regards
And remember: you play a game to have fun!
Alons, GM of TMW.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

i really like jackdeth's post! its not over the top, and should be easy to implement.
Great job!

i know the powers that be, want the excessive money out of the game, this would be a great way to get rid of a couple of million per ring, assuming you top out the ring!

people will drop a few million at a time, hard to get 30kk though.
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

also, instead of giving the bonus, it could be made to give a bonus to the second column in the stats screen. since there are 7 stats there, it would be possible to incorporate the pearl. Image

it would have to be more than a simple +1, +2, +3 etc, to make it worth while.
also: i was wondering how this would be charged for ring that you needed 100 gems added to. 1kk each time would be ridiculous, so i was thinking, maybe 200k to add more gems, each time, but you could add as many gems as you wanted at a time.
Edit: i went to sleep writing this post, and some other people have posted since then, sorry if i'm repeating any ideas.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

prsm wrote:i really like jackdeth's post! its not over the top, and should be easy to implement.
Great job!
It could in fact be pretty hard to implement on eAthena. The amount of individual properties an item can have is very limited at the moment. There would be need to add an individual item to the game for every possible combination of gems, and these are quite a lot.

Unless the eA devs retool the card system. This could make it possible to add up to 4 individual stat bonus upgrades to each equip item instance.
  • NOT a game master

prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

fair enough, how hard would it be to have a ring that can go from +1 to +5 , but only in one stat!
and each new stones costs twice as mush as the last?
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

that would actually be pretty easy on eathena. there are only 30 possible rings there, and 30 items added to the item database wouldn't be sweat off of anyone's brow.