stat bonuses from rings

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: stat bonuses from rings

Post by Big Crunch »

Any official word on this?
sexy red bearded GM
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Development team is now in discussion on the system for this. Once complete, their will be a news item to inform people of its existence.
Current character is "Abolish".
triggs
Peon
Peon

Post by triggs »

Sweet!!!
--J Triggs
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i know interest in this has kinda faded, but in the short run, can we have a +1 to a base stat from these rings?
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Wow, lol, 4 months and the system's still in the works? I guess it cant be rushed, since they are pretty costly to obtain, but I really wanna see what ends up being the finished product!
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Anyone still on this? Every project needs someone to take it further.
This message used to be meaningful.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

We are "still on it" in the sense that we are moving the game forward. All work on this will not develop until we determine balance and the behavior of equipment tiers.
Current character is "Abolish".
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

I really like the ideas discussed.

Regarding the ring receiving damage from trying to upgrade it please either make it lose all properties, ie the Jeweller having destroyed the ring while trying to improve it feels bad and gives you a simple ring to start over with but regrettably he can't afford to redo the past work for you. or allow the initial quest for the ring to be repeatable, perhaps only after the ring has been destroyed. Also if this is to be a personalized one off item then some way of restarting it would be great, yes you lose the work you did but you get to build it different.

As for why the gem imbues a bonus I suggest adding a visit to the magic school to temper the gemstones for such use with various bits and pieces required for the process . This would also in theory open up the option of using the imbued gems in other items if that becomes available.

As for the pearl, perhaps 1 more ring. Requiring the six gems to be tempered plus a pearl to be tempered. When everything is ready the Jeweller needs your help to place the gems so they fit together properly, enter a combination game where a random sequence of gems is generated and one needs to guess the order, some feed back is given "oh the ruby and topaz look perfect there" "the diamond is not quite right" "not sure what you are thinking regarding the amethyst", you get maybe 4 or 5 attempts to get it right. Each fail gets encouragement tempered with caution about damaging the gems. On final fail you get a message "The Jeweller yells out "STOP! Stop.." as you try to get the last gem in place. Feeling the stress of the attempt you were trying to force the last gem in its place and have damaged(random selection of gems) You'll have to get those replaced before you can try again. On success The final ring gives +2 to each stat.

I'll be glad to get my wife to help write out the story and prompts if it helps. (Yes my wife is the writer, I just come up with ideas) :)
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

The only problem I have with your ideas is the part where you want the ring destroyed if the quest fails. Unless they change the price of putting gems in rings... We pay 1,000,000 gp to make one ring that adds +1 to One stat... so destroying it would be kind of ridiculous to be honest. Perhaps failure would just result in the ring reverting to the original +1 stat bonus, instead?
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

1kk to put a gem in the ring is a rediculous price period, if anything it should be reduced to half considering its not that easy for some players to get money now.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

Chicka-Maria wrote:1kk to put a gem in the ring is a rediculous price period, if anything it should be reduced to half considering its not that easy for some players to get money now.
I'm with Chicka-Maria on this, 1 million does seem excessive and half seems about right. That said in 80+ levels I still haven't found a clover (+1 luck) so maybe 1 million isn't so bad for +1 stat?

At 1 million I haven't bothered. I bought the ring, have gems, but at that price I have better things to do (levelling).

I was thinking you could also have a grade for the ring itself. Some rings could be better forged than others. More work would have to be done into the research of minerals. It seemed like one of the new towns opening up (the one with the steam pipes) might be an ideal place to find other minerals... The grade of the ring could add a +1 itself or maybe add some other benefit - #betsanc with 30 charges? The ring would need to be recharged by a mage.

Just some thoughts...