Sheet music

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Sheet music

Post by noelleionscowl »

I'm an artist... Can anybody give me the orchestral sheet music of the songs in-game?
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: Sheet music

Post by Merlin »

?
AFAIK There's no Sheet Music. Why would there be?
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Well all music in game is suppose to be GPL. The GPL defines the source as the human readable information used to create the product.

Sheet music would, by definition, be source code to the GPL. And since all music in the game is suppose to be GPL the sheet music should be available.

However, I think it is likely with many other art in the game, artists have done a poor job of following the terms in the GPL.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Except most modern music programs don't output sheet music. IDK any format besides standard Midi that would even allow for such a thing. I suppose I could print out sequencer and playlists, that's about the closest you'd get to sheet music from modern music creation software. (Unless you use a program that output is sheet music.)

I guess this would explain why there's like NO gpl music.
GPL isn't really well suited to creative arts. It seems to be more of a code/software copyleft.
I wouldn't expect music artist to be even able to provide sheet music. The ability just doesn't exist in the software.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

MerlinX420 wrote:Except most modern music programs don't output sheet music. IDK any format besides standard Midi that would even allow for such a thing. I suppose I could print out sequencer and playlists, that's about the closest you'd get to sheet music from modern music creation software. (Unless you use a program that output is sheet music.)

I guess this would explain why there's like NO gpl music.
GPL isn't really well suited to creative arts. It seems to be more of a code/software copyleft.
I wouldn't expect music artist to be even able to provide sheet music. The ability just doesn't exist in the software.
Almost all music creation programs would have SOMEWAY to save music other then a audio file. Cause without out it you couldn't change a song without having to rewrite it everytime.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

yes. but not sheet music. Fruity loops and I think even LMMS use a s3m or Mod type file.

That's what I meant by sequencer play-lists.
The "save" file. I guess requiring these work files would make sense to get the music to GPL requirements.
But they would hardly be human readable with the software.
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Dang it now I'm wondering if I can find a program that could take music and output it into sheet music.
MerlinX420
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

It has to be human readable at some point, even if you have to use a program to open it.

Point is... with the GPL it should be as easy for someone else to edit a song as it was for the creator.
noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Post by noelleionscowl »

I don't remember exactly, but I thought that there was something about the Woodlands theme, the opening theme being performed by "live symphony orchestra"

Just wondering-might be fun:)
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

a compicated way of getting sheet music from a project file for, say fruity loops would be as follows:
export each track as a midi file.
load it up in guitar pro 4 or later, each midi on a separate track
click View> and uncheck view as standard notation.

most likely you'd have to pirate both of them, but it's the only way i know of to get midi to sheet music. since, most likely the project files for the game music aren't available, or even done in fruity loops, this won't be too applicable :/
that being said, however, if the DAW supports midi export, then most of this is still applicable.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Licensing content under the GPL was a bad idea from the start. Creative commons by-sa or Art Libre would have been much more applicable. Unfortunately it's too late to change it now.

By the way: Linux Multimedia Studio is a free open source music creation software very similar to FL Studio (and it runs on windows and OS-X, too)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I own fl studio. Its nice. but yea like mistakes said put them in midi format that's as raw as you can get without releasing full project files like .flp and such. Also download synthesia and buy the key for it you will be able to view sheets from the midi. im sure there are other programs out there as well.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When I tried out various free programs for music authoring I also stumbled upon one which used sheet music notations instead of a piano roll like others. Unfortunately I don't remember its name because the program was quite awful.

When I tried to make some music for TMW in LMMS a while ago I always posted the project files together with the mixed ogg files. Releasing a project file in a XML-compatible format of a GPL-licensed software is as close as you can get to fulfilling the GPL for music files. However, none of my tries to create music ever got into the game.

By the way: writing a patch for LMMS which allows to export a song in musical notation shouldn't be that hard. Is there a widely accepted open source format for sheet music?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

you can view (and edit) midi files as sheet music in the free sequencer called "rosegarden".
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

there is a free open source version of synthesia for linux its called linthesia. and Kinwa nice find :)