Idea for a new year's event

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Idea for a new year's event

Post by nmaligec »

I just thought up of an event on a whim while reading the scripting manual. There was a section about OnDay and OnClock. That got me thinking about setting up a script to go off on a day and time (I doubt that using those flags is the most efficient way of doing it but its where the inspiration came from). Maybe its because its late, or maybe its because I have been reading too many dry technical tutorials and I need to use the other side of my brain; but I hope you will indulge my flight of creative fancy.

So what would happen? Well It made me think of a count down. What happens when a count down reaches zero? Well something fantastic or something extremely horrible. I decided to go with the horrible and say: "what if Hurnscald was nuked at that time and made unusable (with great particle effects of meteors and explosions). So I had 2 questions, why and how to stop it? So I thought it could be that a powerful mage moved in and is extorting a large sum from the town and if unpaid he/she would destroy the town. How to stop it? Ether raise an exorbitant amount of money or go beat up the mage before the deadline and send him/her packing.

The money route might help drain some cash if that is still something devs want. The other alternative might encourage a 1 time boss fight that could be lots of fun, maybe some sub quests involved to brake magic barriers and such making the mage vulnerable to attack.

Anyway back to to reality. Criticize away, or take the idea and run with it. Either way it was fun to just be spur of the moment and write what was on my mind.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Re: Idea for a new year's event

Post by enchilado »

Draining money (at least in this way) is not something still needed, since most of the money is held by very few of the players. Making poor players pay large amounts of money they do not have is not fair.

The story for the event sounds quite alright - however, before it is discussed further I'd like to request that this topic be moved to the Council forum.

The planning of events, IMO, should not be public.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

We do a xmas/new year event or two different?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Arphetic
Novice
Novice

Post by Arphetic »

Dont you have better things to do at xmas/nye?
bcs86 wrote:This game is a long way from looking like something people could take seriously.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

nmaligec wrote: So I thought it could be that a powerful mage moved in and is extorting a large sum from the town and if unpaid he/she would destroy the town. How to stop it? Ether raise an exorbitant amount of money or go beat up the mage before the deadline and send him/her packing.
if you had me extort the town, people would probably just sit out side and Female dog, wolf, fox or otter. we've all learned that extortion doesn't work as a serious form of income.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

I opt you go for the "something wonderful happens" outcome and resurrect mrgrey :P. Either that or change the theme music to NIN, w00t!

Alrighty, 'nuff trollin' for now xD.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

Our family will be celebrating Christmas Eve and New Years Eve so for sure I'd miss any event that was restricted only to the count-down before New Years. I actually liked that the Halloween event was a bit late this year. I was around for Halloween... but it's just nice that it's not a few hour or single day event.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Likely the Christmas event will lag a month after the holiday. We have enough problems doing one event, let alone 2 at the same time.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
argul
Novice
Novice

Re: Idea for a new year's event, Christmas event status

Post by argul »

There is a christmas event.
This event is located in nivalis.

Basically there is a labyrinth where you got to fight through. Each days some warps get unblocked, so at dec24 you are able to walk throught the caves to reach santa, who is kept there as a hostage by golbanez.

So what is the current state of the christmas event?
+ mapping is completely done.
+ scripting (golbanez, santa, warps) are completely done
- mobs need to be placed.
- and of course nivalis needs to be set in a state, so that it seems that if somebody had worked on :-D
(Lien and me are doing lots of npcs at the moment, so I consider nivalis to be ready in 1 or 2 weeks)

So in general I think the christmas event can start at dec15 and end at dec30.

This is the status of the christmas event so far.
---