Repeatable attribute based quests

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Acegi
Novice
Novice

Repeatable attribute based quests

Post by Acegi »

One of the quests that is rarely used is the herbs->healing potions. Whilst like other quests it's a fetch and get given type I think it's more interesting because it requires a high stat in a certain attribute (intelligence in this case) to make good items. Why not have other attributes too?

An example could be:
Strength -> Blacksmith weapons
For each weapon, a random number is picked between 0 and your attribute (strength in this case). The higher your strength the higher the chance of making a higher level weapon.
0-5 you get a knife
5-14 you get a dagger
15-34 you get a stronger weapon
35-99 you get a stronger than weapon above
So using 100 of whatever the ingredient/resource and 99 strength you would make on average:
5 knives, 10 daggers, 20 "stronger weapons", 65 "even stronger weapons".

With this idea you have another method of making money in that, warriors could sell knives to newb mages who can practice #chiza

Other attributes could be used for other things.

There are quite a lot that can be extended with this type of quest.

Side note: the reason why the 4herbs->healing potions isn't used that much is because there already exist many "free" healing items. Maybe more potions could be made instead of the basic 4herbs->1potion.
"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise..." Inara, Firefly
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Repeatable attribute based quests

Post by Kage »

Would work well with my equipment tier idea.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Repeatable attribute based quests

Post by salmondine »

Since NPC scripts can check level, its surprising that more scripts are not tiered this way.
Events for example...
I'd really like to see more quest scripting done like this.
*Level Check*= appropriate L_Script
afaik the bone knife and setzer quest scripts have worked out quit well with just a level check required, but...
It is my belief that varied content adds to complexity and this = FUN.

Anyway, Yeah great idea.