Problem getting custom map to run on my map server [was: hi]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Problem getting custom map to run on my map server [was:

Post by nmaligec »

From your reply above, it seems like you missed step 6.

There is a 2nd _import.txt file that you need to look at. It is inside the npc folder itself: /npc/_import.txt
Open this up and on a new line add:

import: npc/004-3/_import.txt

Note: I assume the folder you put _import _warps and _mobs is /npc/004-3/

Without that entry none of the commands you added will run, ie map:004-3.gat will not be called and the map server skips adding it to the list.

I hope this is the problem, if not I don't know what else could be wrong.
shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

that was the problem now i got a new problem lol the map-server reads the new map then shuts off this is what i saw in map-server

loading maps [11/63]: data\004-3.gat
16188 28024
Emotional Warrior
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

You need to export to wlk; simply changing the extension from tmx to wlk on a file in tmx format will not work.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

it shows WLK files in propertys. this is out outlock of the WLK files when i open it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<map version="1.0" orientation="orthogonal" width="200" height="100" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<tileset firstgid="1" name="desert1" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/New Folder/graphics/tiles/desert1.png"/>
</tileset>
<tileset firstgid="257" name="desert2" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/New Folder/graphics/tiles/desert2.png"/>
</tileset>
<tileset firstgid="513" name="mountain" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/New Folder/graphics/tiles/mountain.png"/>
</tileset>
<tileset firstgid="695" name="collision" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/New Folder/graphics/tiles/collision.png"/>
</tileset>
<tileset firstgid="697" name="desert_x5" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/New Folder/graphics/tiles/desert_x5.png"/>
</tileset>
<layer name="ground" width="200" height="100">
<data encoding="base64" compression="gzip">
H4sIAAAAAAAAC+3cQW6CQACG0RnPqEZdW923tWfr8c

[rest of file redacted by Crush]
Emotional Warrior
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What you posted is a TMX file. You've just renamed the TMX to WLK. This will not work. You can't convert a file to a different format just by renaming it. The file type Windows shows in "properties" isn't reliable because it is only determined by the filename extension without actually looking at the content of the file.

To create a real .wlk file open the tmx in Tiled and export it to .wlk using the export plugin.

By the way, you can use the attachment feature of the forum to post large files. This keeps the forum readable.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

question about tools/tmwcon

Post by nmaligec »

Since this is about maps, I got a quick question.

I can't get the map converter in the tools folder to work. Instead I just add mobs and warps with a text editor. Would it be necessary to add the objects in Tiled to the map if I do mobs/warps manually?

Also I heard a few people mention that the converter doesn't work properly. Is this true? Is there a preference for manual or for using the converter?
shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

i went to tile opened the map and went to export as and typed in 004-3.wlk and all i get is the giving filename doesnt have any known file extension
Emotional Warrior
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Ok, that is weird. I can export no problem. I am using Tiled Qt 0.5, and when exporting it has .wlk as the default file type. Are you sure you are going to File and Export As? Just doing a Save As will NOT let you convert to a walk file.
Export as wlk.png
Export as wlk.png (12.79 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
If you are using Export, maybe check the version of Tiled you are using. At least I know for sure Qt 0.5 version will work. I downloaded it straight from
http://www.mapeditor.org/
shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

well i guess you found my problem im using 0.5.1 of the tiled
Emotional Warrior
shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

ok the map loaded but its grey with the error: could not load map

error while loading maps/004-3.tmx.gz
Emotional Warrior
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It seems to work server-sided. But now you have to add the map file to the client, too.

There are several ways to do that.

-Customdata zip file in user directory (Quick and dirty fix for you and potential other players on your server)
-Unpacked data files (Most convenient for yourself when you want to develop content)
-Custom update server (You need some webspace to set this up, but when you want others to play on your server, you will have to do this sooner or later anyway)

Choose your poison. Please also tell us your operating system, because two of the three steps above are operating-system dependent.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

webspace is my poison so others caqn enjoy the map too lol and i use windows xp for now hoping to transfer all my data to my laptop later which is ubuntu but laptop being worked on right now
Emotional Warrior
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I was afraid of that, because I've never done this myself. Maybe someone else can help you better in this regard. But what you have to do to my knowledge is:

-Put all game data used by your server (graphics, maps, sounds etc.) in zip files
-use a tool to calcutate the adler32 checksums of the zip files
-create a resource2.txt (or is this an xml by now?) which lists all the updates with their checksums
-upload the zip files and the resource file to your website
-change some conf settings of the server to point the clients to your website

You can open http://updates.themanaworld.org with a common webbrowser for an example.
  • NOT a game master

shannonbrimer
Novice
Novice

Post by shannonbrimer »

well what about dirty fix can people still join my server if i do dirty fix and can they be able to go to the map if i do the dirty fix one
Emotional Warrior
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

They can when you give them a file and they put it into the correct directory.

1. create a new zip file
2. create a directory "maps" in it
3. put your map into the directory
4. Put the zip file into the customdata directory of the client machine. The path should be something along the line of C:\Documents and Settings\username\applicationData\Roaming\mana\customdata. Unfortunately I can't tell for sure right now. I am at work right now and the WinXP machine I have access to is in an active directory domain and thus the whole user directory here looks totally different from a usual home machine. The customdata directory very likely doesn't exist yet, but there should also be an update directory in the same place.
  • NOT a game master