Woodland Village (new attempt)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Dunno how to say this but: the roof looks flat except the top. (see the two lines)

i think it looks better if it isnt flat. now it looks like a big plank with some straw on it.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm going to be harsh for a bit:

Those wheat, roads, board walls and fences lack immersion. They're just screaming out "Hey, I'm not real, I'm just a prop". Everything is too sharp (the outlines, geometrically) and smooth-ish (like the one coloured texturing done on cheap plastic toys).

In the SoM pictures there are some issues (gridding in the water for example), but somehow everything just "fits in" and "pleases the eye" at the first glance. This is the level of immersion we should thrive for. It doesn't really have to be realistic or all polished out to the very last pixel, but instead it should have the feeling that all the components belong together.

Additionally I think there is a perspective issue with the roof and the wall.

I hope you're stubborn enough to redo stuff time after time after time. At least in the past this has worked for you.
This message used to be meaningful.
Techsetsu
Novice
Novice

Post by Techsetsu »

There needs to be a shadow on the building side where the roof hangs out over it. That's the first thing I think needs to be corrected.
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

If you could make some perspective calculations where whats closer to you is bigger it would look lots realer
All your base are belong to us.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

knivey wrote:If you could make some perspective calculations where whats closer to you is bigger it would look lots realer
Lots of reasons not to do that. I'm not going to list them now.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Modanung wrote:
knivey wrote:If you could make some perspective calculations where whats closer to you is bigger it would look lots realer
Lots of reasons not to do that. I'm not going to list them now.
Agree, and I have yet to see a game that has done that.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Rotonen wrote:Those wheat, roads, board walls and fences lack immersion. They're just screaming out "Hey, I'm not real, I'm just a prop". Everything is too sharp (the outlines, geometrically) and smooth-ish (like the one coloured texturing done on cheap plastic toys).
He's very right, the edges of most things are very basic, not natural. However don't listen to anyone about saturation or any of that crap. Your original color picks are beautiful. And the whole thing gives off a rural feel. Very nicely done, as always.
Rotonen wrote:I hope you're stubborn enough to redo stuff time after time after time. At least in the past this has worked for you.
It's not redoing, it's just tiny adjustments!

----edit--

Changed on lateral paths: Thinned shading, made grass bunch, poke out, and recess, thinned shading some more, virtually eliminated shading on bottom edge grass-transfer (from our angle, we shouldn't be able to see the shadow),
See what i mean? Looks more natural now. You still did a really great job though.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Not to put you down (the Woodland map is very nice) Honestly, I don't like that house...especially that wooden stuff. Also, I would like to ask if anyone would be so kind and make that entrance passage wider it is offten blocked by monsters and malicious players.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ultim wrote:Changed on lateral paths: Thinned shading, made grass bunch, poke out, and recess, thinned shading some more, virtually eliminated shading on bottom edge grass-transfer (from our angle, we shouldn't be able to see the shadow),
See what i mean? Looks more natural now. You still did a really great job though.
i think the edge looks a lot too irregular now.

don't worry about the paths. i already know how to fix them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:
Ultim wrote:Changed on lateral paths: Thinned shading, made grass bunch, poke out, and recess, thinned shading some more, virtually eliminated shading on bottom edge grass-transfer (from our angle, we shouldn't be able to see the shadow),
i think the edge looks a lot too irregular now.

don't worry about the paths. i already know how to fix them.
but our world is full of "bugs" and irregularities... it is them what makes him real :)
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Too irregular... you have a funny philosophy of art, Mr. Crush. As you will then.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

keep up the good work crush.
its just seems you need some time to do a tileset but the final versions of sth are always great :)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My barking about the shading is related to the house, I should've been more specific.
It just reminds me of the plastic toy fort (a toy set of the good old politically correct cavalry vs. indians feud) I had as a kid.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i think i got rid of some critique points:
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

nice work crush, i like it