empty folders in CVS

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

empty folders in CVS

Post by Crush »

i just wondered: whats the purpose of all those empty folders on the cvs repository?

for example the folders Tmw, TMW or The Mana World in the root directory or the folders "graphic" or "map" in the data directory. are they some relict from past versions and noone bothered to delete them or do they have some purpose?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Tmw, TMW, The Mana World modules weren't there last time I checked, I guess someone with CVS access created them for error and I can exclude me, Hammerbear and Doener for that. We could maybe blame someone with little knowledge of CVS to have done it?
I'm going to disable CVS access to a lot of people lately because it seems people don't take care in using it, and they don't hear my advices, nor reply to them.
About the other folders, yes they're relict from past versions and noone removed them because CVS is a bit tricky with removing folders.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

CVS isn't tricky at all with removing folders. It simply can't be done. When updating, you can use "cvs update -dP", where -d will take care that any new folders are created and -P will take care that any empty ones will be pruned (removed in your local checkout).

We actually did remove some folders before our move to SourceForge's CVS service, but maybe we shouldn't have done this. The problem is that when you remove a folder manually from the CVS server, all its history is lost forever.