tmwAthena code review/rewrite

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: tmwAthena code review/rewrite

Post by o11c »

I agree that elements should be eliminated - however, I am not convinced that the element should be part of the ID.

Also, it would be nice if we could limit the number of elements to 8 - we don't need ELT_NEUTRAL and could merge ELT_SHADOW and ELT_GHOST.

Also note that, as part of my rewrite, the conf files will change.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

lol i didn't mean the elements as part of the mob ID themselves.
and eliminating them, when they are already lightly used? wuuuut? expanding content into using more elemental stuff is one of the first thing on my todo list for the server grey and i are working on!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I have no idea what I meant to say, but it was not "eliminated".
I support proper existence of elements, without restriction on what kinds you use together.

Some things to consider - what are "elemental weakness" and "elemental strength"?

Suppose that one being uses lightning (which is best described as fire + air) against a monster that is of one element, but weak to the other?

Note: I'm thinking of redoing the way damage modifiers are done, so that the attack is passed through a series of filters.
E.g. one filter might eliminate 90% of fire-based damage, another might double air-based damage?

Should an attack consist of a single damage amount of all types, or different amounts of each type? Allowing both possibilities would be more flexible, but more complex.

Making either attacks or native elements stop on the first match, or only allow one element for one of them, would make some things easier.

My best resolution:
A monster has various elemental strengths/weakness, used only for defense. (It will probably tend to have similar elements for its attacks).
All of the modifers are applied in sequence, if it is 100% immune to any of the attack's elements, it takes no damage. But, multiple attacks may be chained in what appears to be one attack to the client.

But, what is an elemental weakness or vulnerability? A boolean? a percentage, like wesnoth?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.