Part of rebalance process. (Monster remakes names and addit)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Part of rebalance process. (Monster remakes names and addit)

Post by meway »

As you all know that it would be great to have new monsters in the game. At the current rate of speed I just don't see that happening. We have a problem with mob placement. There are all kinds of mobs around tulimshar. Why is this a problem you ask? Well when you start off in the game you get a tone of mob drops that you have no clue what to do with. I would like to use the existing mobs to allow for map/location specific drops. Mobs around the area will only drop items specific to the quests around them. Also we can make the mobs weaker in one area where we could make another (similar almost same monster stronger) in a much further place away from any nube town. Please view my other topics links can be found here. http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=12641
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Part of rebalance process. (Monster remakes names and ad

Post by Crush »

When we have the same monster with different stats on different maps, we need to communicate this to the player in some way. It would be very irritating for the player when he learns that he can beat monster X easily, then he spots the same monster on another map, and suddenly it kicks his ass.

For some monsters we can use recoloring to differ the different versions. For those monsters which can not be recolored we could do this with the name. Maybe adding a "Level" indicator to the name? So that you are fighting "Lv.5 Maggot" on map A and "Lv.12 Maggot" on map B. Adding a level would also have the advantage that it would be an orientation help for the player which monsters he should be able to beat. When you rather have the intention to let the player find this out through trial and error you could of course also go another route and denote the power levels through adjectives like "Sick Maggot", "Young Maggot", "Furious Maggot" etc.. Many commercial MMORPGs use this method to increase their monster variety beyond the graphics they have available.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Yes the idea was to use mostly the names. I know we have the alternative recolors of scorpions and other monsters but I think this would be done most well with names. Kind of working with easy monsters nube town maybe little higher monsters around nube town but I don't want people being stuck in one place it just becomes boring and I don't want people to be able to get to other places than they have just trailed off questing completely. I want that to become apparent but not impossible.
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

Having levels be part of the names can be very useful. Name descriptors would be better from a story point of view, Weak Maggot Slime, Maggot Slime, Hard Maggot Slime, Strong Maggot Slime, Slow Maggot Slime As the monsters(I still don't get the term mob) can have variations in their stats it would be great if the Adverb could be applied at creation time and in theory they could stack a Weak Slow Maggot Slime might be a Sickly Maggot Slime. On a per map basis limit the min maxes but keep the base line the same. A Maggot Slime is a Maggot Slime but Hard Fast Aggravated Maggot Slime = Rabid Maggot Slime would not be able to be randomly generated in the map area.

Also the occasional farmers pen can provide an opportunity to have an NPC talk about the monsters he raises and trades parts in.