Night and Day?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

skandarv
Peon
Peon

Night and Day?

Post by skandarv »

Hm..just a shot in the dark..But I was thinking more of Day/Night concept ingame..[read Pokemon Diamond/Pearl] with you know..monsters having their respawn rate and Criticals accentuated by the time of the day[Eg..GY creatures in the night and Woodland Creatures in the day(Rough Idea)..]
Also..The game does get repetitive after a while..can it be made more interesting with different puzzles? You know..a secluded place with a spawn of similar monsters[puzzle being the order in which to kill them...otherwise they spawn 5 more or like that] with the result after a series of puzzles getting tougher ending up to a boss fight and a "rare"...a one reward per person..something similar to this..
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=11255

Technically..since I'm a newbie here..this is just a spewing up of ideas..
There is a solution to every problem..only impossibility lies in finding it..
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Night and Day?

Post by yubabax116 »

hey scandy nice to see you on the forums!
This has been discussed on here before but i think night and day would just cause complications. theres not enough monsters to make some for night and some for day and it would cause some grief when you want to attack a monster for some drops and theyre not there for instance. its a nice idea but i dont know.

Yubaba
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i'm not entirely sure if the mobs can have their attributes changed based on the day & night cycle, but i do know that having a day and night cycle has been discussed before and at least with tA, there is a myriad of client side problems in implementing it.
knight
Novice
Novice

Post by knight »

in my opinion, i think the night/day idea isn't so bad. BUT, i think it's a bit unfair, because our earth doesn't have the same time on every place. So, for example, when the server time is 4 pm, where maybe some monsters appear. at that time in some other countries, people are already sleeping and can't meet these monsters. But when those people woke up and then play, these monsters doesn't spawn no more. get it?

but anyway, that's just my opinion :D
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

The night and day could happen according to the server time. However, to do that, we need an animation that repeats each 24h because we can't do: Now, it is night, it is all dark. Moreover, we need to alter shadows... and that is pretty hard.

In overall, I don't think we can add a nice day and night thing into game.

Ali-G.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... day#p96250

might be interesting to go throught this post and reed it
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
skandarv
Peon
Peon

Post by skandarv »

@Yubaba..hey there! :P
Naw..you and Knight kinda missed the point...Mine wasn't to make monsters disappear during specific periods of the day..Rather it was to influence the creatures based on the time of the day..[Greater respawn and crits of GY creatures during the night..and normal or lesser otherwise..etc etc(Geddit? :mrgreen: )] But then again.. as Stakes and Ali-G stated..there would be difficulties with that implementation too.. :!:

@Jumpy
The link you posted was just about animating day and night..rather bothersome as anyway you would disable it..or most would..My point was their influence irrespective of disabling that or not.. :)
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

It is not feasible to implement this at the current time. Among other things, the way monsters are stored is not very flexible. Sigh, I find my self a proponent of XML.

That being said, I like the idea, and when it is implemented, probably in a manner similar to Wesnoth - damaged ±25% by time of day - I would like to see a bit of flexibility, i.e. some monster might be completely impotent at noon and deadly at midnight, another might just be slightly changed.

Should xp be modified to account for the increased/decreased difficulty?

There are some unused variables so this could be applied to players, too.

That being said, I must stress again, this won't happen anytime soon.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
skandarv
Peon
Peon

Post by skandarv »

Yeah..that was more what I was talking about..about xp modification..I'm not too sure about that..It is the most direct reward..I guess a system of drop contrast could also be setup[ya know..difficulty level increases..you gain more exp..hence drop percentage decreases..and the vice versa]

Also, if and when this is implemented, I was thinking of a 'Fatigue' system..[lesser 'fatigued' that you are..more is the optimum utilization of stats(greater chances of occurrences of crits and evasiveness) and hence better fighting..more you fight, the fatigue increases..and therefore lesser chances eventually leading to death] It would ensure that an area isn't dominated by any one/group of people most times as more they fight..more they increase their fatigue level..hence giving more opportunities for other players by default..This would also add an interesting twist to pvp as slightly lesser levelled players would have more of an opportunity to win against others..

Then again, most of these are fanciful thoughts as I'm not really sure if any can be implemented ingame as it is of now.. :)

Cheers!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

knight wrote:in my opinion, i think the night/day idea isn't so bad. BUT, i think it's a bit unfair, because our earth doesn't have the same time on every place.
Most MMOs fix this problem by having ingame days which are significantly shorter than real world days (usually just a few hours or minutes) and also do not align with the 24h cycle so that all players can experience both day and night during their usual game time.

Still, the technical problems, especially when we want a fluent transmission between day and night, are not to be underestimated.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.