Mana client and tmwAthena mob death sequences

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Mana client and tmwAthena mob death sequences

Post by nmaligec »

I was having a discussion with Bertram about a change to the way the client handles mob death sequences (d-seq). As requested I am posting my thoughts so that others can join in on the discussion. Bertram, sorry for the long delay.

I noticed that the 0.5.2 client as well as the old 0.0.29.1 client had essentially an approximately 1500ms cap on d-seq and would continue playing the sequence until the time was up. Note that it 'hangs' on the first frame defined with delay=0 or with no delay attribute; or, if all frames have a delay>0 it loops to the first frame. In a later version of the client I noticed that mobs seemed to stick around a whole lot longer. I was told that the d-seq cap was now explicitly set to 3000ms. IMHO it should be kept to 1500ms or set to 2000ms at most; otherwise the corpses stick around too long

I also pointed out that the hard cap limits content devs to keeping d-seq under 1500ms (3000ms for newer clients).

My suggestion to improve the d-seq while still maintaining old behaviour was:
  • Add a new attribute to action nodes like length="".
  • If the tag is not defined or ="0" then set it to the old defaults like 1500ms for death sequences. I don't know if attack, stand and walk have any hard caps but might as well give the content dev a chance to set a limit and let them figure out the consequences.
  • Leave all the old frame/sequence behaviour.
This should give content devs more freedom to accomplish what they want.