Balance Project: Armor Sets and Character Options

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Balance Project: Armor Sets and Character Options

Post by Wombat »

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Armor_Sets

We are working on equipment sets in relation to character options that have been created by default and may potentially exist after balance for those that want to go in those directions. Some of the current equipment that is grouped may change for these current options as well, to show what we really have for full sets of armor and what we are missing to make full sets.

This effort is also part of the equipment fixing priority we have for player set 1.5
Current character is "Abolish".
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Balance Project: Armor Sets and Character Options

Post by Wombat »

We'd also like to customize armors in a way that reflects the general level a character is on, like people wearing the leather armor set might be around level 30, but the warlord set at level 60.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

We should keep the payerset 1.5 as it is right now but do not extend the spritesheets up to the incantation sriptes.
I am updating this wiki page with all the ideas of sets I have, feel free to do the same ;) but don't add your personnal set or one you like very much! :)
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i'd like to point out that the evolved mage and evolved archer are incorrect in practice. most archers are going to continue to use the forest armor since it give a dex bonus of 3, which comes in handy at high levels when you're trying to get the most out of your stats.
likewise, the evolved mage is never going to use the high priest crown or towel when they could be getting a +3 int bonus out of the wizard hat, or +1 luck from the clover, maximizing their stats.
also: no mage in his right mind is going to carry around a setzer, when he could be getting a magic attack bonus from an item that weighs less (the wooden staff), especially given that real mages don't enter into melee combat.

EDIT: bracelets in the glove slots for mages would go far in the direction of completing their gear sets. no idea on the pants, (if any).
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

hi

good work on link but looking at wiki page i see only a basic mage equipment using a wooden staff (lvl 70)
and no development for the mages but yes for archers and warriors

also calling attention on wedding ring in catégory rings
are effects of being married depending on wearing the ring ?
if so equipement should allow to equip at least 2 rings:
weeding ring
simple rings

Sincerly
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I agree with Jumpy: it would be more logical to be able of wearing 2 rings.

Here is the ideas I already had for a long time already:
  • Add another place to be able to wear 2 Rings. Of course the rings can be put on either of those.
  • Add another place for the hats. I would like to be able to wear 2 hats at once, for example eyepatch and pirate hat. Of course some hats are too big and don't fit other hats so I would put 3 categories: hats on the face, hats on the top head, hats covering the entire head. These last ones will take the place of 2 hats, just like having a 2handed weapon.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

you guys are talking server-side changes there, involving heavy coding. you both know who to talk to about things like that. wombat is content management.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Wombat is the first person to talk to for this kind of content addition. If he agrees, we'll need to ask o11c to do that work.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

We aren't adding new slots.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Ali-G wrote:Wombat is the first person to talk to for this kind of content addition. If he agrees, we'll need to ask o11c to do that work.
That solves the problem.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

We are looking into options for bonuses should a character wear an entire set. An example would be if someone wore the entire brass armor set (the only complete set finished for the 1.0 player-set. None are done for player-set 1.5) they would get a +X to Luck and a +X to Vitality (this option may not actually exist in this form or ever).

Our [WIP] List is this:

Leather

Chain

Light Plate

Brass

Warlord

Savior

Snake

Forest

Desert

Snow

Assassin

Apprentice Wizard

White Wizard

Black Wizard

White Evoker

Black Evoker

---

Charms (amulets, four leaf clovers, etc.) and Rings don't could towards making a set complete. For sets like Assassin and Magic User armor, a shield may not make sense, so instead an alternative item, like a scarf, a defensive styled weapon (new animation in the player-set will not grow for two weapon fighting nor blocking, so it would mainly be a cosmetic, idle equipment), a book and so on. I'll continue to grow on this concept when I have more time available.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

A set is mainly composed of (except mage sets):
  • A Helmet
  • Pants
  • A Chest Armor
  • Gloves
  • Boots
And some times, it can be with:
  • A Shield
  • A Weapon
  • A Charm
  • A Ring
Remember that some mage sets can be with pants or with shields. I am thinking of the sorcerer robes and of the scarab armlet.

Ali-G
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

I just checked assassins stuff on test server, and i thing that might be a solution to balance pvp wizard against archer. I would just change a little bit stats of that stuff that modifies a speed of character to allow character with maximum agility move (only move, not affect to attack speed) at speed about 70. High leveled archer with 800+ HP could have a chance to survive #ingrav and kill opponent then or make hit and run tactics.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

People with speed skill level 9 and high agility (for example me with 105 in agi) already move quite fast. Faster would be cheating in my honest opinion.
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

Did you saw any ninja movie or Naruto? In my opinion cheating is overbalancing one class of characters that made assassins as victims not killers. Adding movement speed, not dexterity which affects on attack speed will gives only not certain possibility to kill a mage - i call it balance. Other solution is changing #ingrav hit points, but that would be reverse current situation - wizards will became victims. Returning to a point. Normal humans can not move that fast (on test server speed 70-75 was the maximum that look realistic movement) thats why this stuff should be filled with very strong strong magic of the generations of all assassins. So strong, that strangle magic powers of the owner (-35 mana attack on each item, like warlords plate). It's for making it sure that will be used by warriors. Most important thing is that rising only movement speed will not make higher killing rate, so it will be not machine gun cheat. Notice that when you using this stuff you will have at maximum 100 agility not 105 that means it will lower shooting rate.